Liverpool Thread 2013/14 (continued)

SkyBlueCanuck said:
110x150xfile.php,qavatar=73_1399325241.png.pagespeed.ic.mwXFUTVCpo.png

If Jamie Carragher had played the Ben Stiller role in Dodgeball, this is what he would look like in the final scene.

lauralouise said:
MSP said:
Suarez definitely wasn't fine, he was crocked last 15-20 minutes.
Think the point there is that even if Suarez drops off in the last 15-20 minutes of a game it shouldn't matter too much, not when you're 3-0 up anyway.

Of course it does. Top manager subs him and brings defensive player, specially at 3:1 when dream about catching goal difference is gone and Palace went to mental mode.

And it's not just Suarez, your midfield was non-existent in those moments. And it's not first time that your 2nd half performance heavily drop because your players have been crocked playing all the time last few months. You almost bottled it against us too despite being way on top in first half.<br /><br />-- Tue May 06, 2014 4:04 am --<br /><br />Where is our redwolf? :D

Fucking Glen Johnson eh, I reckon he's gonna be woken up all night with flashbacks of Bolasie running at him with the ball.

RandomJ said:
Shirley said:
Tbf they put in a great performance for 79 minutes and did look like scoring 5 or 6 but in all honesty who ever thought they would blow a 3 goal lead, incredible and you only have the manager to blame for that.

It was them stupidly trying to go for our goal difference that did them in. If Rodgers had done his job and shut up shop and taken the 3-0 it would have put the pressure on us on Wed. But instead they kept playing the same way thinking they can score a silly number of goals and got done on the counter 3 times. Shit all round.
Rodgers was guilty of believing his own hype. He thought he was some master tactician. All he had to do was unleash his superb formation and a huge win was guaranteed. Turns out you have to be able to defend as well s attack. His full backs were in retarded positions after the third goal.
Any one worth their salt would have taken the win and let palace on to them then hit them on the break.

MSP said:
lauralouise said:
MSP said:
Suarez definitely wasn't fine, he was crocked last 15-20 minutes.
Think the point there is that even if Suarez drops off in the last 15-20 minutes of a game it shouldn't matter too much, not when you're 3-0 up anyway.

Of course it does. Top manager subs him and brings defensive player, specially at 3:1 when dream about catching goal difference is gone and Palace went to mental mode.

And it's not just Suarez, your midfield was non-existent in those moments. And it's not first time that your 2nd half performance heavily drop because your players have been crocked playing all the time last few months. You almost bottled it against us too despite being way on top in first half.

-- Tue May 06, 2014 4:04 am --

Where is our redwolf? :D

Yeah, but that's a decision Rodgers makes - not Suarez - which is essentially what I think he was getting at in that quote, that the players weren't at fault. I don't blame Suarez for being knackered, he's played his little heart out this entire season, bar his ban at the beginning.

But yeah, I agree. Which is why I think Rodgers, with the squad he's got, has done exceptionally well this season and why we couldn't really ask for more when it comes to the players efforts. I just wish we'd had Henderson these last couple of matches, he's been a really big miss.

Hansen's article in the Telegraph - well worth reading again after tonight by the way - contains this little gem:

"Most other teams going for the title would just tighten up when they have got a 3-1 lead but with City there is always a sense that they will concede another goal."

lauralouise said:
MSP said:
lauralouise said:

And it's not just Suarez, your midfield was non-existent in those moments. And it's not first time that your 2nd half performance heavily drop because your players have been crocked playing all the time last few months. You almost bottled it against us too despite being way on top in first half.

-- Tue May 06, 2014 4:04 am --

Where is our redwolf? :D

Yeah, but that's a decision Rodgers makes - not Suarez - which is essentially what I think he was getting at in that quote, that the players weren't at fault. I don't blame Suarez for being knackered, he's played his little heart out this entire season, bar his ban at the beginning.

But yeah, I agree. Which is why I think Rodgers, with the squad he's got, has done exceptionally well this season and why we couldn't really ask for more when it comes to the players efforts. I just wish we'd had Henderson these last couple of matches, he's been a really big miss.

I didn't say he was blaming players, just he was talking bullshit saying players were not tired as they obviously were.

Yes, he did well, no doubt about that. Paid for his inexperience on the end (hopefully, it's not over yet) but all in all you'd cut anyone's hand for 2nd place if it was on the table when season started.

And that Henderson's tackle went to be very important, he is only player in your midfield that can run for 90 minutes.

lauralouise said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
lauralouise said:
I'm not saying he's not got a lot to learn. Rodgers himself said "it was the management of the football game that cost us tonight. The energy of the players was fine." I just think it's silly to insinuate that he's not a very good young manager when the same people will probably sing Pulis' praises. We go into the last game of the season with the (slim) chance of winning the title, if he's not a good manager then… I dunno.
He's a good coach, there's little doubt about that. But a good manager is a different beast altogether and he isn't that yet as tonight demonstrated.

Mancini built us from the back, made us solid then made us play football. Pellegrini settled for the 3 points at Selhurst Park as that was the priority. That was good management by both of them. Rodgers has done neither with you and showed crimianl naivety tonight.

He should do less talking and more thinking. Less worrying about his pretty puerile mind-games and more about real football games. He should have shut up shop, taken the points and put the pressure back on us. If we get the 3 points against Villa and you wanted to try to catch us on GD, then do it on Sunday when you're at home against a pretty demotivated team and have nothing to lose.

Okay, okay. I know what you're saying. Do you think he never reaches that level though? Both Pellegrini and Mancini have a few more years of experience under their belts than Rodgers does at the moment. He's grown so much during his time at Liverpool and learnt from many mistakes - he's not been stubborn and he's accepted when things need to be shaken up and simply haven't worked. The mistake he made tonight I have no doubt he will learn from.

I actually don't really think he plays mind games, I think he just says the things Liverpool fans want to hear. Obviously that's not to everybody's tastes but compare his 'mind games' to Mourinho's and they're not even a thing. I'm just glad the media have began to slowly take their heads out of Mourinho's bum.

I dunno. I just don't think the future is as bleak under Rodgers as some make out.

I think a few weeks after the season when we all move past the in season hate of Brenda, we will probably be able to admit that he has the potential to grow as a manager and not just a coach. You might be asking too much of this board right now however.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.