Liverpool Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scouse_Jimi said:
Once again we only play half a game and walk away with 3 points...Sterner tests to come considering we've not played a decent side yet (Manure don't count)

3-4-1-2 is working out well for us...

If we can manage to actually play a full 90 minutes....we'll be lethal!

As that renowned pundit Alan Hanson is so well liked on Bluemoon I have no qualms about quoting him.

I was watching MotD (or was it MotD2/3, Footie focus etc?) and he was asked if the 3 at the back was a good idea. His answer was an unequivocal no. One point he made was that it had been done many times before, including with himself during his Liverpool days, and it never lasted. He suggested that the main reason for this was that although having 3 at the back gives an extra player up front, it also means extra defensive workload for the midfield.

Football has been around long enough for just about everything to be tried and the best compromises reached (because everything is a compromise), so if 3 at the back was better (usually) than 4 I think we would have seen it more often over the years.
That said, Maybe Rogers sees that he has quality upfront, graft in midfield, and limitations at the back? maybe that is one reason he thinks its a good compromise for Liverpool (for now at least).

more lazy than useless said:
As that renowned pundit Alan Hanson is so well liked on Bluemoon I have no qualms about quoting him.

I was watching MotD (or was it MotD2/3, Footie focus etc?) and he was asked if the 3 at the back was a good idea. His answer was an unequivocal no. One point he made was that it had been done many times before, including with himself during his Liverpool days, and it never lasted. He suggested that the main reason for this was that although having 3 at the back gives an extra player up front, it also means extra defensive workload for the midfield.

Football has been around long enough for just about everything to be tried and the best compromises reached (because everything is a compromise), so if 3 at the back was better (usually) than 4 I think we would have seen it more often over the years.
That said, Maybe Rogers sees that he has quality upfront, graft in midfield, and limitations at the back? maybe that is one reason he thinks its a good compromise for Liverpool (for now at least).

I don't think it's the long term strategy however - as we have a dearth of talented CBs particularly since Skrtel remembered how to defend...it plays to the strength of our squad. I've no doubt we'll be back to 4-2-3-1 at some stage but if 3-4-1-2 continues to work for us I see no need to change it. Needs a decent test though - the Arse will provide that in a couple of weeks.

Scouse_Jimi said:
I don't think it's the long term strategy however - as we have a dearth of talented CBs particularly since Skrtel remembered how to defend...it plays to the strength of our squad. I've no doubt we'll be back to 4-2-3-1 at some stage but if 3-4-1-2 continues to work for us I see no need to change it. Needs a decent test though - the Arse will provide that in a couple of weeks.

That's fair enough, there's no disgrace in Rogers being pragmatic and trying to use the squads strengths while limiting its weaknesses.
That said though, I think you've highlighted the main issue yourself. Like yourself I've been sceptical of Liverpool's chances of top 4 and the back 3 formation has only emphasised that. It should work well against bottom third teams as they won't cope with your forwards. It'll probably be good enough most of the time against mid-table teams because of the quality of most of your players, but against top teams you'll come unstuck and could even get one or two hidings.
Arsenal are capable of keeping the pressure on your defence, and then your midfield will struggle to get a grip of the game, leading to the forwards being nullified - they will match their strength to your weakness and reduce the threat from your strength at the same time. If you can't beat the teams that have been finishing ahead of you then you are going to finish about the same in the league.
If you play some good football - raising expectations - but finish back outside the European places it could be very disappointing for fans and players alike come the end of the season. You will still have to change systems again - this might not go down well with everybody as some of the 'excitement' will go. I still think Suarez will leave (although this may make it easier to explain away the change in formation). With all of this (and more) won't many start to think you're standing still (which is true, but it will have a negative spin) or even think you're going backwards? That would make next season a 'must win' (of some kind) with the pressure on in a big way.
If Rogers came out now and said 'we're trying out 3 at the back because of the shortage of defenders, don't expect it long term' it could save a lot of problems in the long run.

The Arsenal match could be very interesting!

If I'd known that was going to take so much typing I wouldn't have bothered!

Scouse_Jimi said:
Fanny Fart said:
Rumour has it Rodgers has been sticking it somewhere he shouldn't have been

The knitting circles input

The fellas are talking about the pros and cons of three at that the back...

It's a Liverpool thread la, not a Liverpool formation thread.
It could certainly impact your manager if the tabloids run with it

Scouse_Jimi said:
Fanny Fart said:
Rumour has it Rodgers has been sticking it somewhere he shouldn't have been

The knitting circles input

The fellas are talking about the pros and cons of three at that the back...

Why do the knitting circle get to talk about the interesting stuff?

-----------------------

I take it Rogers is married and has kids? Not exactly going to get him sacked (I wouldn't think) but could be a huge distraction when he could do without it.

Even assuming its all unfounded gossip (which is highly likely) it won't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.