Liverpool Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
More goals than any team in the leauge this calendar year (including you lot surprisingly, which I was certain it was you until I saw the stat).

My fear with all this title talk is that without fail, for quite a while, everytime the media, players or coach have started talking about a title or things being good, we've promptly proceeded to drop points.

I hope everyone will just cool it. let's just get through the winter break with maybe one decent signing, and Sturridge and Gerrard back.

Before the season and even now I did not think there was a huge difference between the top 6 teams with the exception of City. If I was to rank the quality of teams it would be something like this.

1. City
2. Chelsea
3. United
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham.

However, if I was to rank the quality of managers it would have been something like this at the start of the season.

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. City
4. Tottenham
5. Liverpool
6. United

So would have thought the top 6 would be something like this City, Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool but nothing would have surprised me.

Rodgers has shown he is a much better manager than I give him credit for. Last year I think he was too stubborn and kept trying to play a system that did not suit his players, but this year he has adapted and it has worked brilliantly. In the early part of the season he did not try and dominate possession in every game. Will likely be the Christmas no1s.

EDIT
I had Liverpool to come sixth.

superseiyan said:
More goals than any team in the leauge this calendar year (including you lot surprisingly, which I was certain it was you until I saw the stat).

This season to date, home and away:
MCFC = 47
LFC = 39
Last season from Jan to May, home and away:
MCFC = 26
LFC = 37

2013 to date:
MCFC 47+ 26 = 73
LFC 39 + 37 = 76

That's what I got. Last season scoring slowed significantly after the new year.

Having thought about it, this win is nowhere near as good as our 5-1 at the lane. Put it into perspective - Spuds were on a 10 man suicide mission the last half hour, their set up and personnel were appallingly bad and Arry´s team were more or less the finished product not the rag tag bunch thet AVB sent out without a hope yesterday
Not taking away from scousepool, just putting it in context

You always suspect that they might well slip away, but at the moment they are right in the mix.

The boxing day match is huge, and I'm expecting our toughest game of the season. Liverpool play a style of football that we usually struggle to cope with - like Southampton, only much better. Win that, and I think we'll become unstoppable.

mike channon´s windmill said:
Having thought about it, this win is nowhere near as good as our 5-1 at the lane. Put it into perspective - Spuds were on a 10 man suicide mission the last half hour, their set up and personnel were appallingly bad and Arry´s team were more or less the finished product not the rag tag bunch thet AVB sent out without a hope yesterday
Not taking away from scousepool, just putting it in context

I disagree. I think both results were equally impressive. You talk about suicide missions but when we dicked them 5-1, Redknapp picked a team that was totally devoid of any defensive midfielders IIRC. Spurs were in a bit of limbo in terms of incoming transfers, and were coming into the match on the back of an opening day 3-0 defeat to United. It was only after our game that they signed Super Scotty Parker (TM) which helped them shore things up and enabled them to go on a decent run.

Before the season began I thought the best Liverpool could hope for was, at a push, a 5th place finish, but more likely 6th.

Now, however, given both how well Liverpool have been playing, and how poorly the likes of Spurs and United have performed, I think Liverpool are in with a fighting chance of 4th spot.

For me the top 3 will be City, Chelsea and Arsenal, although not neccessarily in that order. Then you have 4th, and it looks like it will be a real battle between 4 sides (United, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton) for that one. United, despite Moyes' lack of ability, and the clubs lack of quality in certain areas, are still United, and they'll be there or there abouts come May. They need to play ctachup as they're 7 points off 4th at present, but I still think they'll be in the picture come the end of the season. Liverpool are currently 2nd,I can't see them maintaining that as they are still a squad with a couple of quality players, and a lot of average ones. Spurs have a lot of good players, but they're being forced into positions and formations that simply don't suit them. They need to either fire AVB or else he needs to change his tactical approach. If either of those things happens they'll improve. Everton are a breath of fresh air, Martinez has got them playing some really nice football, their only real issue is a lack of depth. They haven't got the money to spend so after their first 11 they really drop off in terms of quality.

Have they been given the title yet?

Surrounded by dippers who think they have.

sh249 said:
You always suspect that they might well slip away, but at the moment they are right in the mix.

The boxing day match is huge, and I'm expecting our toughest game of the season. Liverpool play a style of football that we usually struggle to cope with - like Southampton, only much better. Win that, and I think we'll become unstoppable.

Should be a really good game boxing day, after the performance we put in yesterday I'm actually looking forward to it a bit more as oppose to dreading it a week or so ago.

Still think we'll be lucky to get a point but if Suarez is firing we've got a chance, its the midfield area I'm worried about most. Yaya & Fernandinho both exceptional. Exciting times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.