Liverpool Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matty said:
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves when we talk about battering Liverpool. Yes, it's possible, as you say we've put 4 past United, and 6 past both Arsenal and Spurs, so we're clearly capable of handing them a proper mauling, but I din't think we'll have it that easy against Liverpool. I think we'll win, but not by such a huge margin. What we need to do is keep Suarez quiet. Seems simple enough when you say it like that, but obviously it'll be a struggle. I'm not looking forward to Demichelis trying to cope with him. The issue Liverpool have is that we need to keep Suarez quiet. They need to find a way to keep Negredo, Yaya, Nasri, Silva, Navas etc etc quiet. It's the shear volume of attacking options we have that teams find it hard to cope with and that's why, ultimately, I think we'll have just too much for them on Boxing Day. I think we'll win, 3-1.

You'll see, a lot like boxing, styles make fights....

Suarez will be a danger but we'll maul them in midfield, there fullbacks aren't up to the way we penetrate teams and as stated we will win by a good margin, it's not about getting ahead of ourselves but realising that these results are no fluke, by design not fault!!!

Matty said:
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves when we talk about battering Liverpool. Yes, it's possible, as you say we've put 4 past United, and 6 past both Arsenal and Spurs, so we're clearly capable of handing them a proper mauling, but I din't think we'll have it that easy against Liverpool. I think we'll win, but not by such a huge margin. What we need to do is keep Suarez quiet. Seems simple enough when you say it like that, but obviously it'll be a struggle. I'm not looking forward to Demichelis trying to cope with him. The issue Liverpool have is that we need to keep Suarez quiet. They need to find a way to keep Negredo, Yaya, Nasri, Silva, Navas etc etc quiet. It's the shear volume of attacking options we have that teams find it hard to cope with and that's why, ultimately, I think we'll have just too much for them on Boxing Day. I think we'll win, 3-1.

Can see it being a high scoring game but I agree, I don't think (or hope!) it will be a mauling. Our defence is solid with Sakho in the back 4 - his composure in tight situations and his ability to physically own every challenge he makes adds a level of steel to our defence we've not had for years.

This weekend our midfield was due a mauling by a far stronger set of players (on paper) however we coped.

There's been a few excellent games this season - I fully expect this one to be a bit of a classic. 4-3 to city would be my bet

Scouse_Jimi said:
Matty said:

Can see it being a high scoring game but I agree, I don't think (or hope!) it will be a mauling. Our defence is solid with Sakho in the back 4 - his composure in tight situations and his ability to physically own every challenge he makes adds a level of steel to our defence we've not had for years.

This weekend our midfield was due a mauling by a far stronger set of players (on paper) however we coped.

There's been a few excellent games this season - I fully expect this one to be a bit of a classic. 4-3 to city would be my bet

we won't score 4 without Kun, we'll have to defend Suarez and Coutinho really well.

Even when you're shit you always end up being a tough game for some reason.

Scouse_Jimi said:
Matty said:

Want to check I read this correctly. Are you saying Spurs midfield is far stronger than City? Or far stronger than your own?

Either way, I don't think Spurs are any sort of yardstick for what you will face at the Etihad other than our grounds are both in England.

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
Matty said:

You'll see, a lot like boxing, styles make fights....

Suarez will be a danger but we'll maul them in midfield, there fullbacks aren't up to the way we penetrate teams and as stated we will win by a good margin, it's not about getting ahead of ourselves but realising that these results are no fluke, by design not fault!!!
I think we (fans) still struggle a little with the mentality that comes with being a great side. I know I still see the fixtures and my immediate reaction is negative e.g. Suarez is good, Liverpool are a tough opponent, but as you correctly identify, we are smashing teams at home. We do have nothing to fear but fear itself.

lasereyes said:
Want to check I read this correctly. Are you saying Spurs midfield is far stronger than City? Or far stronger than your own?

Either way, I don't think Spurs are any sort of yardstick for what you will face at the Etihad other than our grounds are both in England.

I'm saying that on paper spurs have a better midfield than Liverpool, the same is true of you lot. Thats the only comparison Im making - I'm fully prepared to get zero points at the etihad.

The good thing about the season is we've got everyone aside from manure in the top 6 at home in 2014. Sets us up with a very good opportunity to get top 4

The way Liverpool usually perform against us I'll take any kind of win right now. A scrappy last minute OG after being under the cosh for 90 mins will do. 3 points is all that matters in this one.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Scouse_Jimi said:
Matty said:

we won't score 4 without Kun, we'll have to defend Suarez and Coutinho really well.

Even when you're shit you always end up being a tough game for some reason.

Really ? We scored 4 second half against Arsenal without him !

Pablo1 said:
The way Liverpool usually perform against us I'll take any kind of win right now. A scrappy last minute OG after being under the cosh for 90 mins will do. 3 points is all that matters in this one.

I would take a draw if we could actually start winning away on a consistent basis. That will decide whether we can take the league or not, not this Liverpool match.

Scouse_Jimi said:
lasereyes said:

I'm saying that on paper spurs have a better midfield than Liverpool, the same is true of you lot. Thats the only comparison Im making - I'm fully prepared to get zero points at the etihad.

The good thing about the season is we've got everyone aside from manure in the top 6 at home in 2014. Sets us up with a very good opportunity to get top 4

TBH, the way everyone is stumbling, you have a shot at the title. Taking Spurs apart at White Hart Lane is not easy. We did it in our title season, but lost last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.