Liverpool Thread 2013/14

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen of them so far they are more than capable of winning the league. Rodgers has built an incredible side and deserves a lot of credit for that. As long as they make Anfield a fortress this season (which they probably will) I expect to be up there come may time.

Armaan said:
From what I've seen of them so far they are more than capable of winning the league. Rodgers has built an incredible side and deserves a lot of credit for that. As long as they make Anfield a fortress this season (which they probably will) I expect to be up there come may time.

No chance

Armaan said:

They'll be doing well to finish 5th.

Win the league? Nah.

The Fat el Hombre said:
Armaan said:

No chance

Whatsoever.

Armaan said:

Which League, Championship!

Armaan said:
They've bought well, certainly improved, but they'll not finish top 4, let alone win the league.

moomba said:
Armaan said:

Win the league? Nah.
Why not?

Countinho, Sturridge and Suarez is a better forward line than some so called contenders.

They have Gerrard and Henderson, plus a really solid defence. I think they'll go close

Marvin said:
moomba said:
Armaan said:

Win the league? Nah.
Why not?

Countinho, Sturridge and Suarez is a better forward line than some so called contenders.

They have Gerrard and Henderson, plus a really solid defence. I think they'll go close

You need more than five players, one of which is Henderson. Coutinho hasnt really done it against the top sides and hasn't been overly convincing so far this season. Sturridge has started well but isnt going to score a goal a game for them. Who knows what you're going to get with Suarez.

But they'll have injuries and suspensions like all sides, and IMO the contenders (rags, us and Chelsea) have the capacity to overcome them much better than Liverpool. For me they have the 5th or 6th best squad in the league and thats where I expect them to finish.

Marvin said:
moomba said:
Armaan said:

Win the league? Nah.
Why not?

As much as it pains me, I have to agree - up to a point, anyway. It's quite possible that with a fair wind & everything going well, that Red Scouse will be in the mix, come May. They've bought very well & there are goals in that team.
I'm unconvinced, though, by Rodgers. You know what they say: f it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's gotta be a duck. Well, Brendan acts like a bullshitter & talks like a bullshitter. He looks like he's about to go three at the back and I don't see that formation winning the league, particularly with a sprinkling of defenders who are new to the league (plus Kolo, whom Mancini didn't rate for the same system).
Henderson has surprised me with his good start. I'd be stunned if it lasts, though. Lucas does a job breaking up play. It's not inconceivable that he'll stay fit for an entire season but it'll be a first for a while. Gerrard is still very good on his day bit the brutal truth is that he wasn't good enough to drag Liverpool to the pinnacle, in his greatest day - and that was with Maschereno (spelling!) and Alonso alongside. It'd be some swansong if he could pull it off with the current midfielders around him.
Sterling's a good player and he'll create chances but he's young. His private life has question marks alongside and young lads are rarely consistent over a long season. Sturridge I'd revelling in the central striker role but the Toothy One will be demanding central billing soon (assuming he's still committed to the cause). Has Sturridge found the humility to accommodate the Uruguayan's ego? The chap who left City would have set fire to him. In fact, a lot of strikers would bristle at conceding top billing after the stunt Suarez pulled.

All in all, a dangerous opponent on their day. Good enough to beat anybody if everything clicked. Giving them the benefit of the doubt that they'll mostly do the business ad expected (for a change), against say, all but the rest of the top eight. Will everything click 9 or even 10 times, as needed, to win the league? They'd be need to be exceptionally lucky.
Too many ifs, all tolled.
I've been wrong before but I think they'll do well to make top 4. Four of last year's top five have improved considerably too and the others, Utd, were miles ahead of them and have improved slightly too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.