Liverpool Thread 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liverpool rested on their laurels for years.
They had (and still have) a huge fanbase over most of the world as a result of their hey day - fair play to them....

But they sat back on that, and reaped the merchandise and matchday revenues year in year out, but never progressed beyond that.
United expanded, and many other clubs moved to new stadiums. Liverpool stayed put (complicated reasons for it, but that's another issue).

United absolutely went all out corporate monster during the PL years, and Liverpool almost assumed they'd grow at a similar rate (without doing the work) because they were 'similar' in stature.

30 years later, and admittedly, Liverpool have consistently won trophies, but as a club, they've slipped backwards and are now struggling for traction to get moving forwards again.

FSG can't be blamed for wanting to operate sensibly and expect a return on their investment. They've not had much luck with things, but Liverpool fans are expecting too much of them. They aren't going to keep investing with no return. Anfield is (and has been) holding them back, and with each passing year they are becoming more like Ajax.... a 'big name' unlikely to reach the heights of their past again.

What is another source of considerable amusement is the failure of FSG to capitalise on their takeover in the way they imagined.

I'm sure they glanced across the Atlantic when they purchased the club and assumed that they'd be teaching the other Premier League owners a thing or two about how to run a successful 'sports franchise'. Their arrogant delusions around the transferability of 'moneyball' being a perfect case in point.

They underestimated what a shark infested, brutal world English club football is. It's far from the gentlemanly picnic I expect they imagined. They've been found severely wanting in many respects, not least the appalling way they managed Suarez and his countless indiscretions.

They'll get a good return on their investment, but primarily because of the....errrr......organic growth in Premier League broadcasting revenues. A growth it should be said, that has been fueled in no small part due to the involvement in the English game of Sheikh Mansour. Oh the irony!

Did anyone ever find out what the losing bid was btw?

gordondaviesmoustache said:
What is another source of considerable amusement is the failure of FSG to capitalise on their takeover in the way they imagined.

I'm sure they glanced across the Atlantic when they purchased the club and assumed that they'd be teaching the other Premier League owners a thing or two about how to run a successful 'sports franchise'. Their arrogant delusions around the transferability of 'moneyball' being a perfect case in point.

They underestimated what a shark infested, brutal world English club football is. It's far from the gentlemanly picnic I expect they imagined. They've been found severely wanting in many respects, not least the appalling way they managed Suarez and his countless indiscretions.

They'll get a good return on their investment, but primarily because of the....errrr......organic growth in Premier League broadcasting revenues. A growth it should be said, that has been fueled in no small part due to the involvement in the English game of Sheikh Mansour. Oh the irony!

That's the Americans for you.
Thousands of years of European politics, wars, espionage, subterfuge, obfuscation and cunning.... and European football epitomises it all, but all that can be overcome with a little bit of American ingenuity.

FanchesterCity said:

Thousands of years of European politics, wars, espionage, subterfuge, obfuscation and cunning.... and European football epitomises it all, but all that can be overcome with a little bit of American ingenuity.

enhanced-buzz-3234-1431885017-23.jpg

Sergi0 Na5r1 said:
FanchesterCity said:

enhanced-buzz-3234-1431885017-23.jpg
Bloody hippies, I'm amazed the yanks let him go in space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.