Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
What hurts most is the feeling that the best football in the league won't get the title.

We have a competitor who has analysed the situation and found out that you can win matches without great footy.
They found out that defence is the place where you win titles when you also have some talent up front.

They know their bench isn't good enough for rotation, and the 1st 11 can only handle the minutes played if they are managing their efforts in a very efficient way. Look how much they are passing the ball in their half, without trying at all to create anything.
But when they go for goals, they do it with energy, and once they win they rely on their defence again, and play on the break (if at all).

They are very patient, wait for opponent mistakes and completely rely on the front 3, standards (and biased officials).
Surely their general attitude is top notch, and tbh Henderson (also VVD) is a very strong leader at the moment and an important factor for winning.

It seems they generally can go on like this, playing their 1st 11 in an efficient way, also next season.
If only mid and low table teams found out to concentrate on destroying the match and go for a 0-0,
we could see how much talent and energy it takes to break up tight defences.

As long as opponents refuse to convert sitters and invite them for easy goals they will just go on.

Teams don't get extra points for artistic impression, results are the only thing that matters in winning trophies

Are they really as good a side as the results and table positions suggests or have we and the other so called challengers just really regressed and allowed them a free run at it?

Bit of both, but mostly they have just been excellent, as much as it pains me to say - 22 wins in 23 games. No league defeats for a whole 12 months. Back to back CL finals, winning one.

I think they'll likely win the title in record time, and smash a couple of records in the process. I've come to terms with them winning the title. I'd rather it was this way, so I can emotionally prepare myself for the onslaught of media nonsense we've got coming after they clinch it than them nicking it on the last day.

If they do keep this form going, it could go down as one best and most impressive single season performances in PL history.

Teams don't get extra points for artistic impression, results are the only thing that matters in winning trophies

True, but I love Pep's philosophy where football is an art and not only playing for 3 points.

I was bored watching Milan, Chelsea or Atletico for ages winning 1-0 and playing down the clock week in week out.

Pep just has to invent the impossible and improve defence without losing the beauty of his game.

Don’t devalue them mate. Heavenly football requires all the stars to align, including massive investment.

Klopp has marshalled and motivated his resources brilliantly. The dippers didn’t even sign anyone last close-season. They have achieved what they’ve achieved on a relatively low budget. And that includes winning the most prestigious competition of the lot. They play to their strengths and have kicked our arses this year if we’re honest.

Agree to most of it but I have seen how often they were lucky to win tight matches and they can do nothing about opponents somehow failing to score.
Klopp himself said several times "wasn't our best football today but we got the win".
That's all I say. Klopp knows they are successful, but he also knows the reason why. Pep does as well, but he didn't speak out plain.

Don’t devalue them mate. Heavenly football requires all the stars to align, including massive investment.

Klopp has marshalled and motivated his resources brilliantly. The dippers didn’t even sign anyone last close-season. They have achieved what they’ve achieved on a relatively low budget. And that includes winning the most prestigious competition of the lot. They play to their strengths and have kicked our arses this year if we’re honest.

Although it hurts I do agree. And I’ve been telling this whenever needed. You simply have to applaud the way there are doing. That’s showing respect to the team and it’s manager. For their fans however ...
But it is as it is. They deserve where they are. Even riding their luck and VAR mostly friendly to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.