Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the nature of football though, it’s a largely transient profession. Good players come and go, but sometimes you can say that you saw them at their very best. Torres is a great example of that for us.
We’ve been very fortunate as City fans, as virtually all of our best players over the last decade (Kompany, Silva, Toure, Aguero etc) have all resisted overtures from other clubs and stayed with us. With Liverpool you could probably only really say that of Gerrard, and even he was pretty keen to move on at least one occasion. That could change, of course, now that you’ve started being competitive again.

I’d hazard a guess that in the current climate not many clubs would be willing to match, never mind better, those contracts. The footballing milieu has changed hugely as a result of the pandemic.

I agree with this. It probably won’t be until next summers transfer window until we see the real knock on effects of it. Don’t think there’ll be that many mega high profile moves this window myself.

I agree with this. It probably won’t be until next summers transfer window until we see the real knock on effects of it. Don’t think there’ll be that many mega high profile moves this window myself.
Yeah, with so much uncertainty surrounding the game I doubt anyone would really be willing to pay exorbitant fees this summer.

We’ve been very fortunate as City fans, as virtually all of our best players over the last decade (Kompany, Silva, Toure, Aguero etc) have all resisted overtures from other clubs and stayed with us. With Liverpool you could probably only really say that of Gerrard, and even he was pretty keen to move on at least one occasion. That could change, of course, now that you’ve started being competitive again.

I know what you mean, that’s what it was like for us as kids. Torres was the first one though where a player left for another English side as a perceived step up. That hurt to be honest. Gerrard had a couple of flirtations in fairness, but it’s history now. The current crop seem motivated as a unit but I look at it as the managers force of personality going through the squad. Much the same as yourselves going from the Amazon documentary if you get me?

I know what you mean, that’s what it was like for us as kids. Torres was the first one though where a player left for another English side as a perceived step up. That hurt to be honest. Gerrard had a couple of flirtations in fairness, but it’s history now. The current crop seem motivated as a unit but I look at it as the managers force of personality going through the squad. Much the same as yourselves going from the Amazon documentary if you get me?
Possibly, although the players I mentioned have stayed with City through three different managers (four in Kompany’s case) so it’s clearly not just the Guardiola effect. Outsiders will probably say it’s simply because we pay them so much, but that’s also not strictly true in that certain other English clubs, and the Spanish giants, can and will pay more. Of course they earn a lot at City, but these players clearly have a genuine affection for the club and the city, even if that goes against the popular narrative.

Do you not believe attracting and retaining world class players to reside in Merseyside will always be difficult ?

Possibly, although the players I mentioned have stayed with City through three different managers (four in Kompany’s case) so it’s clearly not just the Guardiola effect. Outsiders will probably say it’s simply because we pay them so much, but that’s also not strictly true in that certain other English clubs, and the Spanish giants, can and will pay more. Of course they earn a lot at City, but these players clearly have a genuine affection for the club and the city, even if that goes against the popular narrative.

I think it’s obvious that they’ve a clear bond with the club, and the trophies before and with Guardiola will definitely have played a part. But from watching that Amazon documentary, it’s clear that the senior players have a real connection. Whatever it is, I don’t think that it’s the money.

Do you not believe attracting and retaining world class players to reside in Merseyside will always be difficult ?

Well, the areas they tend to congregate in are some of the wealthiest per capita in the country so not really. It’s not like all your squad live in Manchester, do they?

Well, the areas they tend to congregate in are some of the wealthiest per capita in the country so not really. It’s not like all your squad live in Manchester, do they?
Presumably most players from both clubs (and United and Everton) all reside in pretty desirable leafy Cheshire villages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.