Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading an article about Dean Saunders and was surprised that it said he went to Liverpool for a British record transfer fee. I'm an old fart but this had slipped my memory.

So I checked it out and it is accurate - £2.9 million for Dean Saunders in July 1991. Doesn't sound too much in today's terms but it was obviously loads back then. Look at their transfers in the same year on the back of 1990s financial doping. Probably the equivalent of a £250mil spend in today's money.

Liverpool Transfers IN 1991/1992
Player
Club Fee Date
Mark Wright Derby County £2,200,000 15 July 1991
Dean Saunders Derby County £2,900,000 19 July 1991
Mark Walters Rangers £1,250,000 13 August 1991
Rob Jones Crewe Alexandra £300,000 4 October 1991
Michael Thomas Arsenal £1,500,000 16 December 1991
Istvan Kozma Dunfermilne £300,000 10 February 1992
Scott Paterson Cove Rangers £15,000 19 March 1992

Funny thing is they spent all that and finished 6th in the league. And, as it happens, behind small timers City..

91/92 was also the season Liverpool returned to Europe after the 6 year ban for being the classiest supporters in the world. You'd think Anfield would be packed to the rafters welcoming European royalty back home. Er, no. They got to the last 8 of the UEFA cup and their first 3 home games drew attendances of 17131, 23094 and 16007. Jesus, we were averaging more in the 2nd division a couple of seasons before and they even got a crowd of 12000 the following season. And they now call us small time.

91/92 seems such a long time ago - the last season in fact before the start of Premier League finished. But not as long ago as 1989/90 when they last won a title. And the funniest thing of all is despite their financial doping, despite the G14 shit and the financial advantages, despite them being the self-appointed elite and best club in the world, they are still to win a single Premier League. Nearly 30 years since a League Title. It's great isn't it.
Great post

We spent Sunday with Mrs Vienna’s family, and for a while, we were talking football finance with her son-in-law, who is a Liverpool fan. At one point, he said, "If it wasn’t for Sheikh Mansour investment, you would might still be in the bottom half of the Premier League," to which I replied, "If it wasn’t for Littlewoods' investment, you might still be in the second division".

He had no reply to that.

If you want to discuss something specific, then please be my guest to start a thread. As mentioned before, I don't really like lumping everything together into "megathreads". We were never going to just leave a thread called the "Liverpool Abuse Thread" though, as it was a bit tragic.
Stick to one thread Ric.
Otherwise, we'd be slating their fans on the footie one and vice-verse.

We spent Sunday with Mrs Vienna’s family, and for a while, we were talking football finance with her son-in-law, who is a Liverpool fan. At one point, he said, "If it wasn’t for Sheikh Mansour investment, you would might still be in the bottom half of the Premier League," to which I replied, "If it wasn’t for Littlewoods' investment, you might still be in the second division".

He had no reply to that.
You should have mentioned all that lovely freshly laundered crisp criminal dosh they got from standard chartered as well!
Had a similar chat with an Arsenal fan, and mentioned Danny fiszman and his diamond money.... didn’t like it when I told him it was what would now be termed ‘financial doping’ from a ‘sugar daddy’and before human rights was mentioned, he should research the conditions under which diamond miners were working especially in Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.