Liverpool thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
seem to remember this as being the same game where klopp was shouting abuse at people who tried to shake his hand as he walked out of the tunnel. they knew the risks attached to playing a game at that time but wanted a great european night under the floodlights etc. the situation was already worsening on merseyside as everton sent their players home from training and cancelled a game ahead of the PL telling them to.
Yep. That was the week when it all started to come home to roost. In hindsight we can look back at various sporting events that week and legitimately ask why they were allowed to take place with fans in attendance. Leicester played Villa in the PL on the Monday night, and our game against Arsenal 2 nights later wouldn't have been postponed if some of their players and staff hadn't gone down with it. But the biggie for me - worse than Liverpool v Atletico - was Cheltenham. A 4 day event with tens of thousands in attendance every day, the final day of which was 3 days after the Liverpool game. As for that game itself, yes Madrid was a Covid hotspot at the time but the impression I got was that Liverpool wanted to get that game played in front of a capacity crowd, and I dare say that if a Liverpool fan sadly caught Covid and died as a result of attending the match then it's more likely that they caught it off another Liverpool fan rather than an Atletico fan.

Yep. That was the week when it all started to come home to roost. In hindsight we can look back at various sporting events that week and legitimately ask why they were allowed to take place with fans in attendance. Leicester played Villa in the PL on the Monday night, and our game against Arsenal 2 nights later wouldn't have been postponed if some of their players and staff hadn't gone down with it. But the biggie for me - worse than Liverpool v Atletico - was Cheltenham. A 4 day event with tens of thousands in attendance every day, the final day of which was 3 days after the Liverpool game. As for that game itself, yes Madrid was a Covid hotspot at the time but the impression I got was that Liverpool wanted to get that game played in front of a capacity crowd, and I dare say that if a Liverpool fan sadly caught Covid and died as a result of attending the match then it's more likely that they caught it off another Liverpool fan rather than an Atletico fan.
I'd gone to Wembley reasonably happy but sensing the problems ahead.

I was please the Arsenal game was called off and took the decision on if I should go out of my hands, honestly don't know which way I'd have jumped but I was aware that it'd be my choice and any ramifications would be from my own actions.

The following day I rang my lad down south and told him I wasn't going to the Burnley game and if he came up it'd probably be best all round if he stayed away from the house.

Upshot is, the writing was on the wall...make your personal choice....accept the outcome of said choice.

What's happened to that scruffy urchin Harvey Elliot.

I thought he was supposed to be their next superstar.

Although he was plucked from another team's academy.
Not forgetting Ben Woodburn, Harry Wilson and erm Jordan Ibe.
Same Academy myths as the Rags

but as always their looking for someone else to blame......

Agree. Cheltenham was a weird one as doesn't appear to have been a massive spike in cases because of it
As for the Anfield game there was only 2-3 thousand Madrid fans there so why didn't they as a club say risks are too high no travel. There must have been some consultation before the game with relevant au₩thorities etc
Truth is they wanted a famous European night and thought they could turn the tie around.
Even for the bloke who contracted the virus he wasn't forced at gunpoint into the stadium.

Agree. Cheltenham was a weird one as doesn't appear to have been a massive spike in cases because of it
There's a 1 week to 2 week lag between transmission of the virus and cases being reported, in this country anyway. It was probably longer in the early stages. Look a few weeks on from Cheltenham and you'll see your spike, I know we had one with people returning from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.