Liverpool thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why do you think it wasn't a penalty
well i think they were both joselling without really impeding each other.if thats a pen then surely every corner there would be a pen as much more grappeling goes on then.its either all contact is a pen freekick or its got to be a proper foul that stops someone getting to the ball etc.i know your a ref but i think the problem is refs give too many pens for brush contact and not real contact

Can you remember giving a penalty if a player didn't go to ground.
Do you believe it is an issue, as I have seen many blatant penalties not given as a player either stays upright or gets a half shot away.
I can honestly say I can only remember 1 incident where I gave a pen. The amount of abuse I got from the defenders was as bad as Dean probably gets.
A PL assistant once told me he asked Dowd at half time why he did not give a pen for 2 pulls on Sergio's shirt in one instance. Says that Dowd says "it was not enough of a pull to sell as a penalty".

///Everything you say is true. But on the other hand I wouldn’t want my club to be owned by a sugar daddy. I never want to see my club sack Gerrard the way Chelsea sacked Lampard. It’s just not who we are.

When people talk about catching up with City, I think they don’t realize they are talking about a team that spent more than half a billion ONLY on defenders in the last 2-3 years. There is no catching up unless you get petrol money and that’s a fact. I am in no way saying they influence referees or there is match fixing, but I can say that they somehow have some influence on FIFA and UEFA. They are allowed spend money like there’s no tomorrow, either barely regulated or even if regulated they find loopholes with sponsorships and other ways that I am not clever enough to understand. Football is completely different than what it was, and it is very easy to get lost in it. We have to be careful with our spending.

Young and new supporters are more enthusiastic about stats, silverware and big names and I absolutely understand that, but I just can’t be arsed about those. I mean of course silverwares are great, but for me Liverpool is more than that. It’s just for me though, so I am not saying this is how it should be for everybody.//
City have spent about £350m on defenders in the last 3 years. That’s only 70% of the figure you said.

And Shankly went to Liverpool in 1959 because he was promised by Tom Williams that he would have money to spend which Huddersfield (who Shankly was manager of at the time) didn't and had no further ambition as a club to be anywhere higher than they were. After finishing third in Second Division Shankly released 24 of the 26 players on Liverpool's books and bought 22 new players with the money promised to him. They finished 3rd again the next season. John Moores encouraged Williams and Shankly to spend his money on making Liverpool a top flight club for the first time since 1954. They signed Ian St John for the second highest transfer fee in Europe (as a Second Division club!) as well as other players and finished second, not first despite all that money, and went up. They signed Yates, Thompson and Lawrence for big fees as well as others and won the league in 1964.

They won the FA Cup after that but didn't follow it with further success so bought Hughes and Clemence for big fees then broke their club transfer record for Hateley and the record fee for a teenager in Evans...Lindsay, Lloyd and Heighway were all bought then they broke their club record again when signing Toshack and also signed Keegan then broke their transfer record again on Cormack. This was all during six years without winning anything leading to further spending which saw the success they are famous for.

Without money Liverpool would just have been another Second Division club, for, who knows how long?...! Nothing that ended up happening in the follwing quater of a century would have happened without John Moores' (a Macunian) money.

They were even formed as a money club. The owner of Anfield, John Houlding, put the rent of Anfield up so high that Everton couldn't afford it and moved out. Houlding created his own club and in their first season, every single player on their books was Scottish, not a single local lad played for them, so they were hardly a club for the local people neither.

I can honestly say I can only remember 1 incident where I gave a pen. The amount of abuse I got from the defenders was as bad as Dean probably gets.
A PL assistant once told me he asked Dowd at half time why he did not give a pen for 2 pulls on Sergio's shirt in one instance. Says that Dowd says "it was not enough of a pull to sell as a penalty".

My view is once they allow trends to develop over a period of time it is difficult to turn the clock back.
The defender can now do almost anything at a corner without retribution. Contrast that to the arm touch v Salah and you have a strange scenario.

well i think they were both joselling without really impeding each other.if thats a pen then surely every corner there would be a pen as much more grappeling goes on then.its either all contact is a pen freekick or its got to be a proper foul that stops someone getting to the ball etc.i know your a ref but i think the problem is refs give too many pens for brush contact and not real contact
Yes, there should be lots more pens from corners but thats another argument.

My view was that Salah got in front of Dias who then pulled Salah's arm. Yes, it was slight and Salah did his usual swan dive but still a pen in my view. As soon as Dias got beaten I was shouting "don't touch him".

The real problem may lie in the fact that PL refs don't tend to give pens if you don't go down as City have found to their detriment.

//Honestly, the FSG approach is logical in any other business then football, when you compete against owners like Man City who treat their clubs as vehicles for sports washing. It's a bloody fact that absent their corrupt capital, we win in 13/14, we win in 18/19. Am I sad we did not reload when the iron was hot? Yes, but I also hate that we have to compete against that lot and their ill-gotten gains.//
The FSG approach?

Sportswashing? Corrupt Capital?

Yes, there should be lots more pens from corners but thats another argument.

My view was that Salah got in front of Dias who then pulled Salah's arm. Yes, it was slight and Salah did his usual swan dive but still a pen in my view. As soon as Dias got beaten I was shouting "don't touch him".

The real problem may lie in the fact that PL refs don't tend to give pens if you don't go down as City have found to their detriment.
It’s a foul for the purposes of the Laws of the Game but it’s not one given anywhere else on the park except in the penalty box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.