Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, given the picture and video I posted was from ‘2006’, when did the anti-English and anti-Royal feeling start, because it wasn’t before 2006.

If you think back to the Thatcher era and how Liverpool has been treated by successive Conservative and Labour Governments before 2006, according to the Scousers, you would have thought this faux anti-English feeling and sentiment would have started long before 2006, when 10,000’s of Scousers and Liverpool fans made up the 40,000+ crowd at Anfield for the England friendly, but obviously not.

No doubt if you ask any Liverpool fan they’ll tell you there were no genuine Liverpool fans or genuine Scousers in the crowd or on the Kop that night.

So, given the picture and video I posted was from ‘2006’, when did the anti-English and anti-Royal feeling start, because it wasn’t before 2006.

If you think back to the Thatcher era and how Liverpool has been treated by successive Conservative and Labour Governments before 2006, according to the Scousers, you would have thought this faux anti-English feeling and sentiment would have started long before 2006, when 10,000’s of Scousers and Liverpool fans made up the 40,000+ crowd at Anfield for the England friendly, but obviously not.

No doubt if you ask any Liverpool fan they’ll tell you there were no genuine Liverpool fans or genuine Scousers in the crowd or on the Kop that night.
It's an interesting question. Me and a mate went to Anfield in 2001 for Sven's first competitive match in charge of England - a WC Qualifier vs Finland where we won 2-1 after going behind - and it was a cracking day and atmosphere. Sure, there were fans from all over the country there but there were a lot of scousers in attendance too. We accidentally bumped into a mob of Liverpool who were out looking for United - rumours were that they were holed up in The Valley pub according to the Liverpool fans. Funnily enough, we ended up on the train with United's mob on the way back and they had a tidy firm out that day.

At least they have some standards. I mean, Liverpool players served and died in both world wars, and fans have family who died and I'm sure their players did too. Isn't that the whole point of the Last Post? Bill Shankly served in WW2, FFS. He was in the RAF.
...bearing in mind they were fighting for a foreign country, how much were they paid, as mercenaries?

Reading Paul Morley's biography of Tony Wilson. It makes reference to Shankly boosting his players' stamina with liberal doses of amphetamines.
Not heard this before, was it common or even legal back then?
NB I'm aware that many people think the West German team which beat Hungary in the 1954 WC Final were speeding like Patrick McGoohan in 'Hell Drivers'...

Reading Paul Morley's biography of Tony Wilson. It makes reference to Shankly boosting his players' stamina with liberal doses of amphetamines.
Not heard this before, was it common or even legal back then?
NB I'm aware that many people think the West German team which beat Hungary in the 1954 WC Final were speeding like Patrick McGoohan in 'Hell Drivers'...
Amphetamines were used extensively during WW2 by both the Allies and Axis powers. Shankly served in the RAF during the war. Benzedrine was officially sanctioned by the RAF from 1941 so it could be that Shankly was aware of this and used it to give his players an edge.

Pure conjecture on my part but it is plausible as Shankly was an innovator who used a diverse range of methods to improve his teams. It was a different age so, even if it could be proved that drugs were used, I do not think we should judge or try to use it as a stick to beat modern day dippers with.

The article below is interesting with respect to drug use during WW2.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/amphetamine-use-world-war-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.