Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's actually the mid 60's to mid 70's.
When Shankley came in they were a mid 2nd division club who then started spending money (Littlewoods dirty gambling money) equivalent to what 1st division clubs were spending and they were promoted.
By the time they sold Keegan and replaced him with Dalglish, the money was naturally coming in through league titles and Euro Cups - and being part of the top teams demanding that home teams kept all of the gate receipts, thus weakening those other first division sides financially who attracted smaller crowds.
Almost as poetic as Morri….y :-)

Indeed, indeed.. good post.

It was ever thus throughout the history of the game, whether here in England or in any other country.. as Dylan put it, 'Money doesn't talk, it swears..'

The latest English manifestation has been the accretion of money and power since 1992 by The Red Filth, The Scouse Red Filth and The Tarquins, having left Everton and Spurs of the original 'Big Five' in their trail. This has only been affected by the arrival of first Chelsea and then City on the scene to challenge the privileges that hegemony had enjoyed for such a long time.

Btw, your 'landed gentry' example at the end of your post reminded me of the old Bernard Manning story about him being challenged by some 'hooray Henry' herbert to 'get off his land' when Bernard was walking in the countryside. Manning asked how he came to own the land and the herbert described generations of his forefathers fighting battles for rewards which included the very land they were standing on. 'Okay..' says Bernard 'I'll fight you for it..'

Which is precisely what City and Chelsea have done, pretty successfully too! And as we all know, those three hateful clubs and their followers who've had it all their own way for decades don't like it one little bit.

F**k 'em.
Hegemony is not a word that you read on Bluemoon every day.

Chapeau, Sir.

Frankly Mr Screamer that's a great post
Shankly only went because of tge promise of huge transfer pot. They were the only ones to be able to buy
I so hope you are right but still think they will be our main contenders this season.
If your vision does prove to be prophetic then it is going to be entertaining to watch their demise and the entitled muppets that form their fanbase in meltdown.
Its a bit early to say after one draw..there will be loads of points dropped by all this year i think ..hope im wrong about us dropping but.with the WC etc

Awww, diddums!

I bet he didn’t moan about Littlewoods sweeping all before them in the '70s and '80s, when they had their very own sugar daddy buying any and every player they wanted.
Ian St John good example..who else could afford him...key reason for tgeir success mid 70's onwards..they bought the best players..end of.

Ian St John good example..who else could afford him...key reason for tgeir success mid 70's onwards..they bought the best players..end of.
Double Scottish swoop: St. John and Ron Yeats.
Silly factoid: Ian was not his real name, but was used to avoid confusion with his actual name which was……..…… you’ve guessed it….John!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.