Liverpool Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't a Klopp-specific thing, but I noticed that during the game against Villa, he had an earpiece with microphone in, presumably to communicate with the bench. Is it just me, or if a manager is banned, surely they shouldn't still be allowed to communicate with the team. Given that the main thing they do on the day is make tactical decisions, how is it a ban if they're still able to do that?

This isn't a Klopp-specific thing, but I noticed that during the game against Villa, he had an earpiece with microphone in, presumably to communicate with the bench. Is it just me, or if a manager is banned, surely they shouldn't still be allowed to communicate with the team. Given that the main thing they do on the day is make tactical decisions, how is it a ban if they're still able to do that?
They all do it.

The European Cup was harder to win as you had to win your league to get in it. People are looking at it now and seeing names they don't recognise, the ignorance levels are off the scale.

It would be very interesting to see how many teams have won the CL but weren't Champions when they qualified for entry. I know that's the rules now, but what it would show is that they wouldn't even have qualified for the European Cup back in the day.

A handy ‘cut out and keep’ guide to the quality of Liverpool, THE sharing team.

Shared 30 of the 30 PL titles
Shared 99 of the 103 old Division 1 titles
Shared 11 of the 100 old Division 2 titles
Shared 131 of the 151 FA cup winners
Shared 63 of the 63 League cup winners
Shared 12 of the 37 European Cup winners
Shared 15 of the 30 Champions league titles
Shared 9 of the 38 UEFA cup winners
Shared 5 of the 39 Cup winners cup winners
Shared 4 of the 16 Inter-City fairs cup winners

A handy ‘cut out and keep’ guide to the quality of Liverpool, THE sharing team.

Shared 30 of the 30 PL titles
Shared 99 of the 103 old Division 1 titles
Shared 11 of the 100 old Division 2 titles
Shared 131 of the 151 FA cup winners
Shared 63 of the 63 League cup winners
Shared 12 of the 37 European Cup winners
Shared 15 of the 30 Champions league titles
Shared 9 of the 38 UEFA cup winners
Shared 5 of the 39 Cup winners cup winners
Shared 4 of the 16 Inter-City fairs cup winners

Shared 4 of the 4 hubcaps off my car the robbing bastards.

The European Cup was harder to win as you had to win your league to get in it. People are looking at it now and seeing names they don't recognise, the ignorance levels are off the scale.

It would be very interesting to see how many teams have won the CL but weren't Champions when they qualified for entry. I know that's the rules now, but what it would show is that they wouldn't even have qualified for the European Cup back in the day.
Don't agree with your first paragraph tbh. Harder to qualify for yes, but not harder to win once qualified.
15 in 23 seasons.
Chronologically;
Rags 98/99
Madrid 99/00
Milan 02/03
Dippers 04/05
Milan 06/07
Barca 08/09
Chelsea 11/12
Bayern 12/13
Madrid 13/14
Barca 14/15
Madrid 15/16
Madrid 16/17
Dippers 18/19
Chelsea 20/21
Madrid 21/22

If anything the changes to qualification have made it far harder for the league champions to win it and made it next to impossible for anyone outside of England, Germany, Italy and Spain (only Porto in 23 seasons as a winner and no losing finalists either, the 23 years prior to the changes saw 6 winners and 8 losing finalists from outside those 4 countries).

Don't agree with your first paragraph tbh. Harder to qualify for yes, but not harder to win once qualified.
15 in 23 seasons.
Chronologically;
Rags 98/99
Madrid 99/00
Milan 02/03
Dippers 04/05
Milan 06/07
Barca 08/09
Chelsea 11/12
Bayern 12/13
Madrid 13/14
Barca 14/15
Madrid 15/16
Madrid 16/17
Dippers 18/19
Chelsea 20/21
Madrid 21/22

If anything the changes to qualification have made it far harder for the league champions to win it and made it next to impossible for anyone outside of England, Germany, Italy and Spain (only Porto in 23 seasons as a winner and no losing finalists either, the 23 years prior to the changes saw 6 winners and 8 losing finalists from outside those 4 countries).
I agree that having more clubs from the big leagues makes it harder for those outside.

The bigger difference is that those big leagues, and the top clubs within them have pulled away financially, so the better players at any smaller clubs will be transferred quickly (Obviously part of this is due to the changes you talk about) - but it's the level of money involved that's changed.

Even at the end of the 90s, Arsenal's revenue was less than £50m a year, and that was when the money rush was already well underway. Plenty of rich people had the finances up until that point to make an impact Europe wide with their club. Now, you need to be a multi-billionaire, and with FFP that's still incredibly difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.