Liverpool thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Liverpool fan in peace (as the title suggests!).

I write for a Liverpool site called The Tomkins Times and as a preseason warm up, I am trying to gauge the opinions of fans of others clubs.

If you could take a few minutes to answer some questions for an article, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Krish

1) How did you think the 14/15 season went for you compared to your expectations at the start of the campaign? Where did it go right and/or wrong?

2) What are you hopes/expectations for 15/16 and where do you think you will finish in the league?

3) Do you have full trust in your manager? To play devil's advocate, what would have to go wrong for him to be sacked?

4) It's been an oddly quiet transfer window this summer, but of the business you have done so far, are you happy with the ins and outs?

5) Obviously there is still some time to go, so which player/s would you like to sign, sell and/or which positions strengthened?

6) Speaking of transfers, what was your take on the Raheem Sterling transfer and the way he & his agent forced through the move?

7) What do you make of Liverpool's signings? (Joe Gomez, Adam Bogdan, Danny Ings, James Milner, Nathaniel Clyne, Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke).

8) Where do you think LFC will finish in the league?

9) Do you want Balotelli?

Thanks again for your help.
1) Toure's fall out in the Summer with the club was a problem, and then from the Community Shield onwards it was obvious that the attitude was wrong. Before the season I expected to win the League, so it was a disappointing season
2)I expect City to at very least challenge for the title and I expect we will win the League. I hope we can go back to Wembley too
3)No I don't rate Pellegrino. He should have dropped You're very early on in the season and Kompany too. He needs to be stronger eg stand up to the club re the pre-season tours which are ridiculous
4)Very happy with Sterling,Delph and Roberts
5)I would like Pogba or a replacement for You're
6)I thought LFC behaved really poorly and forced the boy out. Really poor conduct by your management who turned fans on the player.LVG does the same
7)Milner is good,but similar to Henderson. Don't know about the others. Ings might be very good.
8)4th is possible. Utd look like they have messed up in the transfer mkt again.
9)No thanks. What was Rodgers thinking. He's slowed up

Hi all,

I write for a Liverpool site called The Tomkins Times and as a preseason warm up, I am trying to gauge the opinions of fans of others clubs.

If you could take a few minutes to answer some questions for an article, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Krish

1) How did you think the 14/15 season went for you compared to your expectations at the start of the campaign? Where did it go right and/or wrong?

A disappointment insomuch as, for a second time, we didn't/couldn't re-enforce at the level required to kick on. This combined with an inability of certain players to perform to the (admittedly sublime) standards set in Pelligrini's first year in charge meant we never really rattled Chelsea's march to the title. That said, being gutted at finishing second is a healthy frame of mind.

2) What are you hopes/expectations for 15/16 and where do you think you will finish in the league?

Hope to get another trophy (any trophy) but it's hard to look beyond Chelsea for the league and the Champions Lg would require the sort of luck in the draw and officialdom that we haven't had so far in UEFA competitions.

3) Do you have full trust in your manager? To play devil's advocate, what would have to go wrong for him to be sacked?

He's too stubborn and never changes formation (another reason why we struggle in Europe). It's an enjoyable brand of football though. This is the final year of his contract and I have no doubt but that he will see it out.

4) It's been an oddly quiet transfer window this summer, but of the business you have done so far, are you happy with the ins and outs?

So far, so good. Sterling has already proved that he can hit the high notes when surrounded by quality players - and has the potential to improve. Roberts is one for the future and Delph is a steal. Another midfielder would be nice, as would a stronger option at left back.

5) Obviously there is still some time to go, so which player/s would you like to sign, sell and/or which positions strengthened?

see above

6) Speaking of transfers, what was your take on the Raheem Sterling transfer and the way he & his agent forced through the move?

I thought that Liverpool behaved awfully throughout the affair. It has many parallels with Lovren agitating for a move out of Southampton, last year and Liverpool seemed perfectly fine with that. Hypocrites.

7) What do you make of Liverpool's signings? (Joe Gomez, Adam Bogdan, Danny Ings, James Milner, Nathaniel Clyne, Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke).
Ings is a gamble, I was sorry to see Milner leave but hey, he got tapped up and moved to a smaller pond (such is the new order, get over it) where he can be a big fish in a big international year. Clyne and Benteke are solid, if uninspiring.

Fourth at the very best. Tenth at the very worst.

He made some significant contributions during his spell at City ( 2011 Cup Final, 6-1 at the Swamp, extra time sub in THAT game), so I'll remember him fondly, by and large. He's never going to hit those heights again though, I suspect. So, best of luck with him but no thanks.

Hi all,

Thanks

Krish

Overall ok. 2nd is no disgrace but, in an ideal world, when you're level on points at the end of Jan you'd hope for a stronger challenge than we mustered.

I expect us to try and play attacking, entertaining football whenever possible. If a situation arises that calls for a more pragmatic approach I expect us to recognise that and try and be more pragmatic. Given where the football club is now, top 3 is the least the owners will expect.

Yes, he's in the final year of his contract, we would have to be in danger of being relegated for him to be sacked unless our long term target became suddenly available and the club needed to secure his services immediately.

Happy with the 'ins' so far. Wouldn't be bothered if Dzeko and Kolorov departed but similarly not bothered if they stay.

A quality left back would be good, but if I'm honest, I can't say who that would be.

Mistakes on both sides by the looks of things. That said (and I know you come in peace) I thought Liverpool and their gang of ex players (and with the help of the media) behaved despicably towards Sterling.

Solid, but not inspiring.

Logic says between 4th and 6th

Balotelli is a Liverpool player under contract. It would be unethical to comment on another clubs player!!

Hi all,

Thanks

Krish

We played some dire football last season so didn't deserve to win tbh. I had high expectations at the start but it began to become more and more tired as the season went on. To be level in Jan was a false hope. The worst point for me was losing to an awful United. That said we finished the end of the season well.

Moving away from a 442 might be all we need to do to win the league. But I doubt that we'll do it as we have a few areas of weakness in the squad. It could come down to luck in key games. I'd say 2nd. And a domestic cup final should be a reasonable expectation I think. Regarding the CL I only hope we do well enough to not have to listen to moaning about it. I have no longing to be great in Europe. I just want to dominate domestic football by playing top class high scoring football.

No. I don't trust him. I don't listen to him interviewed anymore for example cos he says nothing meaningful. And some of his decision making seems ludicrous. I'd say he drives the players nuts too. But he's a steady Eddy and maybe that's all a squad that our quality players needs. It'll be interesting to see who replaces him at the end of this season.

Very happy with Sterling, Delph and supposedly DeBruyne to replace Milner, Lampard and Jovetic. The youth purchases seem very promising too. (Roberts, Unal, etc). And some of the youth coming through the academy could be like new signings - Denayer, Lopes, Garcia, Barker, Evans - if they are not sent on loan and are chanced in the first team sporadically.
Outgoing Dzeko seems on his way which is welcome at this point.

I'd like to replace Fernando, Sagna, Kolorov and Caballero. All accidents waiting to happen. With who I have no idea though.

I'm convinced DeBruyne is coming in but not Pogba, which is fine IMO. One other possible signing might be a CB so if we got Otamendi for Demichellis I'd be happy. And one player I'd like us to keep around is Zuculini but I doubt if he will.

Liverpool seemed to manage the situation publicly very early and it led to the player feeling bullied. The more it went on the more evidence there was of that bullying. Only idiots believe that the nasty agent is the villian here or that the player was greedily wrangling for more more money. When you strip away all the drama that the people of Liverpool layered on this was no different to any other transfer. The player wanted to compete at a higher level and wanted a change of scene. Nothing terrible in that. But it was the end that I felt was despicable. Your club again keeping quiet in the face of racial abuse. Not a word as he was abused in Dublin, on social media, when his kid and gf were threatened, when death threats were rolling in, etc. The pathetic farewell message on the website. The comments from your moronic manager afterwards and that idiot Gerrard in the U.S. telling him to be a man ffs. Liverpool had a responsibility to distance themselves from the hatred and yet they kept quiet at best and revelled in it at worse. Utterly classless ... again.

I hope the parents of any kids signing up took note. And also I hope the agents are twice as prepared to do whatever it takes to protect their clients from this type of lunacy in the future.

Milner will do a decent job but will break down moves as much as he keeps them going. He is consistently inconsistent. Many will love his huff and puff and occasional moments of pure excellence. But others will find him frustrating over the long term. I think Firmino is awful - only going off the Copa though. Ings I think could be very good. Benteke will depend on how played and fitness. Clyne is a great signing and not sure of the others. Overall I think it's a good bunch but Rodgers' track record would imply that 50% won't even get a game by Jan. Plus if this clip shows how he treats people then he has no hope...?

I hope Spurs beat Liverpool and United to 4th. I used to like Liverpool to some degree but the last few years... and mostly Rodgers...have me hating them more than United. Being objective about it, it could be anywhere between 4th and 8th. Despite the decent signings I think Rodgers' crazy nature might see you struggle and who knows then what'll happen. Maybe you'll have a new manager by Christmas.

To be fair none of us know who'll do well or be shocking. In a way it's the beauty of the Premiership over the past 4 or 5 years.

If played regularly I think he could be great but IMO he can only play as a lone striker. A bit like Benteke. I wouldn't have him back because we need proven players now or real promising kids. I'd love him in New York or Melbourne though so I can still shout for him.

Thank you for the opportunity to vent at your club. Good luck to you though :-)

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks

Krish

The transfer window once again proved to be the downfall. The squad, though, was capable of putting in a much better challenge than it did. I expected better.

First and first.

Yes. We are a brand, the formation wasn't right but that wasn't his call alone it was that of many people. You will see a change this year to 4-3-3, a clear indication that last year was a mistake. Pelligrini still has a job. Enough said for me.

Yes. I want Dzeko out.

De Bruyne over Pogba

You were twats. Simple as that. The poster above me explains it just perfectly. You are a fallen empire and Manchester City are now a bigger draw. It's a bitter pill, but you'll have to swallow it.

Average. Like your manager.

6th

I love his character, but not as a footballer, no.

Hi all,

Thanks

Krish

Obviously after winning it the season before, it was a bit of a disappointment; however, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd the last four seasons is nothing to complain about. Defensive complacency and tactical blunders cost us the title as well as dropping points to vastly inferior teams.

My hope is we see a trophy or two, finish no worse than 3rd in the league (ahead of United) and reach the QF in the Champions League.

I do not. I was very happy with Pellegrini's first season at City but he was too stubborn at times to admit he was wrong and find the solution. I personally don't think he will be sacked unless something catastrophic happens, I just think the club will have him run his contract out until the end of the season and then choose his replacement.

I'm pleased with what has happened so far. I think Sterling is going to have a great career and the price isn't much of an issue to me. Delph will be a very solid squad player and Roberts and Unal are two exciting prospects for the future. All sales have been players we do not need, so I'm not concerned with the 'outs.'

I think the ideal window would be adding De Bruyne and Pogba, but I think the latter will stay at Juventus this season. If we could add KDB and a left back to replace Kolarov I would be very pleased with this window. But CM is still a priority as well.

I personally felt the media treated them very poorly. This type of things happens with players and clubs all the time and Raheem never came out and disrespected the club, he simply wanted to leave. They forced it because they wanted it, I do not believe it is all that uncommon for a player to leave his club due to a desire to play for a club better suited to compete for silverware and that plays Champions League football.

I will obviously miss James Milner but he still isn't the type of player to take them to the next level. Same goes for Clyne, Ings, and Benteke. These are good players but they scream Europa League to me. Gomez is a good prospect for the future and don't have enough information for a valuable opinion on Bogdan.

At absolute best, fourth. But I don't think they will as I believe the top 4 will remain the same, regardless of the order. I think they will be competing with Spurs, Everton, and Southampton/Swansea for positions 5-8.

No. I loved him when he was here, but he is nowhere near as good now.

Hi all,

Thanks

Krish

3F5BB97B-6D83-4354-976D-4C3243C7C7ED_zpsmc1r0zyz.jpg

Hamburger answers everything tbh.

I'll go right to the end.

8) Between 5th and 7th place.
9) No thanks, you can keep him.

Hi all,

Thanks

Krish

Sign on.

1) How did you think the 14/15 season went for you compared to your expectations at the start of the campaign? Where did it go right and/or wrong?.

My expectations were that we would challenge for the title, but probably finish in 2nd place behind Chelsea, so pretty close to how the season panned out. I thought we'd push them a lot closer than we did though, so overall I was a little disappointed with our performance. It went wrong defensively for me, we were inconsistent, and key defensive players, such as Kompany and Zabaleta, didn't have their best seasons.

2) What are you hopes/expectations for 15/16 and where do you think you will finish in the league? .

My hopes and expectations are pretty much the same as 12 months ago, I expect a title challenge, I hope for a title victory. At this stage I think we'll finish 2nd, to Chelsea again, however there's still a month left to strengthen the squad and, if the right players are added, those expectations could well be revised.

3) Do you have full trust in your manager? To play devil's advocate, what would have to go wrong for him to be sacked?.

I wouldn't say I have full trust in Pellegrini, his quiet man persona is a welcome change to Mancini's constant confrontational approach, but I feel at times he's too passive. Also his football can be a bit laboured at times, hopefully something the addition of pace to our attack will address. For Pellegrini to be sacked he'd need to fail in the Champion's League, or see us struggling to make the top 4 come the new year. Realistically he's only got 12 months left on his contract, and I don't think many see him being offered a new one. It's hardly a secret that we covet Guardiola and I think there's a more than decent chance he'll be our manager for next season.

4) It's been an oddly quiet transfer window this summer, but of the business you have done so far, are you happy with the ins and outs?.

Happy with the ins (assuming there are more to come as well), not so much the outs (or lack of outs at this stage). Sterling is a quality signing, expensive, but quality. He brings what we were missing, pace, directness, width, and he's homegrown. Delph was a no brainer once the steal price of £8m became known. Lampard was always leaving, and I'm not too bothered by that. I'd have kept Milner, and the club tried, but a promise of playing virtually every game, and in central midfield, was something we couldn't offer him. I'd like to see more exits, Jovetic looks out the door, and hopefully Dzeko will follow. I'd also like to see Sagna and probably Kolarov exit too, but neither of those seem likely at this stage.

5) Obviously there is still some time to go, so which player/s would you like to sign, sell and/or which positions strengthened?.

As mentioned above, looks like we'll sell Jovetic and Dzeko, and I'd like to see us sell Sagna and Kolarov. Navas and Nasri I'm not too concerned with keeping either, so if we received decent offers for either I'd consider selling. Regarding incoming, Kevin De Bruyne is looking like the most likely new addition, with Paul Pogba a more difficult one to assess in terms of chances of arrival. If Sagna and/or Kolarov go then we'd need to replace them, we've heard rumours of links to 2 Brazilian fullbacks in Fabinho and Alex Sandro.

6) Speaking of transfers, what was your take on the Raheem Sterling transfer and the way he & his agent forced through the move?.

I'm more than happy to have Sterling at City, as previously mentioned he brings a lot of attributes to the squad we were missing previously. The prospects of him linking up with Aguero and Silva are very tantalising. His behaviour wasn't the best, nor that of his agent, and clearly it would have been preferable to all if this could have been done without the media attention, however I believe it was blown out of all proportion. Di Maria is doing something very similar to United as we speak, trying to engineer a move to PSG, simply not showing up for pre-season, his manager has no clue where he is, yet there's very little fuss being made about it in the press. Sterling's agent stoked up the media to a degree, but leaks from Liverpool FC, and a seemingly daily interview with one ex-Liverpool player after another, all more than happy to trash Sterling to whoever would listen, was equally to blame, and equally distasteful. Liverpool FC, and it's orchestration of the media around this, have a lot to answer for, as they helped fuel the flames that lead to Sterling being racially abused, and his daughter threatened with rape. I doubt they care though.

7) What do you make of Liverpool's signings? (Joe Gomez, Adam Bogdan, Danny Ings, James Milner, Nathaniel Clyne, Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke)..

Ok, but nothing special, and I'm not sure it's enough to break the top 4. Clyne is a good, young English fullback, and reasonably priced. He's better going forward than defending though, and I think Liverpool may have needed someone a bit more "solid". Ings was as much a no brainer as Delph was for us, English, on a free (well, compensation to Burnley, but comparatively cheap) and potential to improve. He's not there yet though. Milner is a good player, he'll give you everything, every game, but there's a reason we wouldn't give him regular starts in central midfield, and it's because his distribution, and ability to control the game from there isn't of a high enough calibre. If he becomes more willing to play in wider positions then he'll be a really good addition, however he left City because he wanted to play centrally so that's not going to be an easy sell. Unsurprisingly I know nothing about teenage Charlton defenders so can't really comment on Gomez! Bogdan is an irrelevant signing as he'll be watching games not playing in them. Firmino, as a Sterling replacement, needs to hit the ground running, I don't know a huge amount about him, he could prove a good player, or he may flop. For the money spent I'd be worried he isn't more of a certainty. Benteke is a proven Premier League striker, so you can't argue with him on that score. My concerns here are does he really suit Liverpool's style of play? Villa got the best out of him as a target man, delivering crosses and allowing him to dominate defenders with his physical presence. That's not how Rodgers has Liverpool playing, if you try and get Benteke to play a more passing game, with the ball at his feet more, will he perform? I have my doubts.

8) Where do you think LFC will finish in the league?.

5th. The top 4, for me, have got better squads than Liverpool. A title challenge is out of the question, the best they can possibly hope for is to sneak 4th, if United don't gel. I see Liverpool as "the best of the rest" at this stage, Spurs will likely finish 6th, but Liverpool will be able to keep them at bay. I actually believe the top 4 will have a decent sized cushion on the rest of the league this year, Liverpool needed to add top quality players, players who could play for most teams out there. They haven't, they've added 2nd tier talent, at best. That isn't enough to break the top 4.

9) Do you want Balotelli?.

Absolutely not! He's always been inconsistent, but at Liverpool he's become totally ineffectual. If Fiorentina are baulking at paying £10m for him it shows how low his stock has dropped. He was always good for a laugh, entertaining as hell, but nowhere near good enough for us on the pitch at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.