Liverpool thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Finland, like the rest of the Nordics, Liverpool's support is down to their success from the mid-70s to late 80s. Finnish TV, like in Norway, Sweden...used to show one English game each weekend, typically the main game that Match of the Day would be featuring that evening as the cameras would be there anyway. As Liverpool were winning things, they were usually on Match of the Day as the main game. So, if you were a young football fan in Finland the only game you watched each week was 75% or more likely to be a Liverpool one.

Remember back then that this was probably the only way to get to know/support a team, aside from 2 day old results and match reports in a foreign paper so it stands to reason that Liverpool drew all the support. These days at least 7 or 8 of the Premier League games are on live each weekend, there are constant shows about English football, kids have internet access so the support is a lot more spread.

Just around my office, 90% of the football fans over 30 support Liverpool. We have a couple of objectors, a QPR fan who started supporting them due to Bowles and Marsh and a Brum fan, who cannot remember why he supports them. The rest are all Liverpool as that's all they knew growing up. Their kids are split between United, Chelsea and Arsenal mainly.

I was at the Liverpool - Helsinki friendly on Saturday (work freebie before you start...) and the Olympic stadium here in Helsinki was lucky to be half full. Unlike this time 2 years ago when guess who played here...?

It is a worry for them in a way as Liverpool are traditionally the best supported English team in Finland and it was widely expected to sell out. Seems Danny Ings isn't the global pull they expected.
Always makes me wonder what appeal a club like them have around the world, maybe they appreciate them getting British clubs banned in Europe for all them years,
It was dominating Europe in winning the European cups 4 times in 7 years that got us that worldwide appeal no doubt.

I'm sure the uefa cup 2001 & CL 2005 final wins seeing as they were fantastic exciting european finals and that 05-09 run with rafa when we got to 2 finals and 4 semi finals with some epic games got us alot of new fans too.

Last edited:
I was at the Liverpool - Helsinki friendly on Saturday (work freebie before you start...) and the Olympic stadium here in Helsinki was lucky to be half full. Unlike this time 2 years ago when guess who played here...?

It is a worry for them in a way as Liverpool are traditionally the best supported English team in Finland and it was widely expected to sell out. Seems Danny Ings isn't the global pull they expected.

haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.