Liverpool thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tends to bore the fuck out of me when people bang on and on about the commercial side of things on football forums, to be honest.

Amazing to what extent the game and the demographic of football fans has changed in recent years.

Fans banging on about ‘Net spend’, bragging rights over the number of fans who’ve attended friendly games, a clamour to appeal to as many ‘new’ fans as possible in Timbuc-fucking-too for fans of clubs that were historically for people from the cities from which they hailed, people wanking themselves stupid over clubs being able to pay their players 200k+ a week in wages, ‘our match day revenue is bigger than yours’ (never mind that we’re paying 50 quid plus for the privilege in a lot of cases!), ‘turnover’…….yeah, football’s big business these days but, as a fan at least, it all strikes me as a bit grim. Leave that stuff to the business people.

That all said, there’s a shit load Liverpool could do better both on and off the pitch currently– something most Liverpool fans are only too acutely aware of. Regarding the stadium, demand for tickets has significantly outweighed supply for upwards of 20 years – 44000 is far too small and even with the new increased capacity then Anfield will still be too small.

On the togger side of things, then Liverpool are still competitive (ish anway) around the top four but not really any more than that currently – whether that ultimately makes us ‘irrelevant’ is not really for me to say (and my view on it would be pretty fucking biased anyway). Others have made their views on this clear though – what I would say as an outsider looking in then it’s mad just how much some City fans have changed in recent years however.

From what I’ve seen so far then we’ll probably ultimately struggle to break into the top four with the current team. Then again, it’s still early days and we’ve looked more solid so far this season if nothing else. Benteke and the two full-backs also already look like decent buys to me – albeit Gomez is still very much in the ‘watch this space’ category.

It may ultimately boil down to how good Firmino turns out to be, whether we can get and keep Sturridge fit for any length of time and whether the defence can gain some cohesion for a large part of the season, as to whether we do make that top four.

Given we effectively played the whole of last season without a centre forward worthy of the name and finished 6th then I’d like to think there should be at least some improvements this year though.

That said, I can’t see anything other than a defeat at Arsenal on Monday night –particularly if Henderson’s not fit - but we’ll see.

Up the Reds!

I hear the same kind of musings from rag fans who have become disillusioned with the game,strangely that coincided with a sharp dip in form and club perception. If the rags or the bin dippers were in our or Chelsea's position they would be screaming from the rooftop that all the other clubs are jealous and they would just have to deal with it.

So... deal with it.

Do people support their clubs just because they're a big club? I support City because my dad did, and his dad did and so on, if City got relegated all the way down to the conference I would still be a City fan, and a comparison between my club and someone else's is irrelevant, surely?

Liverpool have loads of fans, and have won a lot more trophies than we have, but I'd much prefer to be a City fan right now than a Liverpool fan!

Do people support their clubs just because they're a big club? I support City because my dad did, and his dad did and so on, if City got relegated all the way down to the conference I would still be a City fan, and a comparison between my club and someone else's is irrelevant, surely?

Liverpool have loads of fans, and have won a lot more trophies than we have, but I'd much prefer to be a City fan right now than a Liverpool fan!

Yes, some do.
We all pick a club for some reason, and for many picking the biggest 'brand' works for them. The reason we are getting more fans these days is because we are winning things, and have far more media exposure. That means there's a new generation of fans who are attracted to us based on that. It's as 'valid' a reason as any I suppose, even if it feels a bit cheesy.

A lot of City fans chose City when weren't anything special. So I guess that was never the reason we chose them, and it won't be a reason to stop supporting them. But those that bought into City thanks to recent success - they might struggle to deal with things if we revert back to mediocrity.

As much as we like to poke fun at Liverpool and United fans etc - especially those that bought into them in their glory years - it's something we're going to have to face too. The people choosing to follow us now are welcome, but they are different breed than in the past.

Fans banging on about ‘Net spend’, bragging rights over the number of fans who’ve attended friendly games, a clamour to appeal to as many ‘new’ fans as possible in Timbuc-fucking-too for fans of clubs that were historically for people from the cities from which they hailed, people wanking themselves stupid over clubs being able to pay their players 200k+ a week in wages, ‘our match day revenue is bigger than yours’ (never mind that we’re paying 50 quid plus for the privilege in a lot of cases!), ‘turnover’…….yeah, football’s big business these days but, as a fan at least, it all strikes me as a bit grim. Leave that stuff to the business people.

Yes, THIS ^.

I find being on the interwebs funnest when we're talking about our PLAYERS or taking the piss out of rival PLAYERS or talking about stuff that happened (or will happen) in FOOTBALL GAMES.

Growing up in south wales in the late 70's and early 80's, there were only 2 teams that were supported by kids my age, liverpool and united. I never saw a city or a chelsea shirt when i was a kid. As a kid i think you either "latch" onto a team that is always winning things or you support the team your dad does.
I have a 8 yr old and he follows City because i do. He plays football for our local team and there are City shirts galore now. Its completely changed in just one decade (well not even a decade yet).Its quite incredible really.
There seems to be far less Liverpool shirts on kids these days, certainly down my neck of the woods anyway.

If Liverpool go another 25 years without winning the league then surely they will be losing generations of fans in the future, certainly from outside of Liverpool anyway.
will they still be saying "5 times" in 25 years time? will they still talk about their history in 25 years time?

I moved from Manchester aged 4yrs old. Grew up in Liverpool. Supported City all that time. Went to nearly every Liverpool and Everton home game in the mid to late seventies with my mates. Despite this stuck with City. On occasions wore City colours on the Kop (none city matches). The banter was mint. It would have been far easier to switch allegencies (my brothers did). My younger brother nearly bought it at Hillsborough so my connection with and 'soft spot' for Liverpool the club has been long standing.
BUT I now find them most obnoxious club from top to bottom. There is no redeeming features. Their manager, owners, ex players, media pundits, Journalists etc create a 'cult' and everything they do stinks. The handling of Suarez racism, the run in to the title challenge, the bullying of Raheem all lack class. More importantly it shows a club that is losing its grip. I don't discuss football with my brothers anymore. Scratch beneath the surface and the scouse mantra pours out of them. The mass media programming is hard to break. Discussion is futile. I swear that they must publish a book of useless facts each year that they rote learn and spout at every opportunity. They have been in prime position over the years to become as big and successful as any club in the world. Despite all the advantages and being part of the cartel they have blown it big style. The question they should ask themselves is how? Unfortunately they are too blinded by the rhetoric to realise. Until they stop looking backwards they will be in terminal decline and it is fast getting to the point of no return.

Growing up in south wales in the late 70's and early 80's, there were only 2 teams that were supported by kids my age, liverpool and united. I never saw a city or a chelsea shirt when i was a kid. As a kid i think you either "latch" onto a team that is always winning things or you support the team your dad does.
I have a 8 yr old and he follows City because i do. He plays football for our local team and there are City shirts galore now. Its completely changed in just one decade (well not even a decade yet).Its quite incredible really.
There seems to be far less Liverpool shirts on kids these days, certainly down my neck of the woods anyway.

If Liverpool go another 25 years without winning the league then surely they will be losing generations of fans in the future, certainly from outside of Liverpool anyway.
will they still be saying "5 times" in 25 years time? will they still talk about their history in 25 years time?

Bet all the United shirts are still Sharp;-)

Haha, just been reading our match thread on RAWK and they got so giddy when Sterling was booed. A minute later they heard the Gerrard song and they all went mental, calling us sad and obbsessed. I think they missed the irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.