Liverpool thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang on a minute. You've jumped on me saying your champions league win was flukey but have seemed to have glossed over the main point.

The vast vast majority of lads under 35 do not class Liverpool as a top side.

The top sides of the last 25years have been United and Arsenal, and in more recent times City and Chelsea.

I'd put Liverpool in with Blackburn and Newcastle when it comes to the league. You've mounted a couple of title challenges in the last 25yrs the same as Blackburn and Newcastle, with Blackburn managing to win one which you haven't.

Yeah you won the champions league once, same as Porto. You have failed to mount any kind of sustained success for a quarter of a century though.

That's poor. As I said, most people see Liverpool as irrelevant in modern football and put them in the same bracket as Everton and Spurs.

YW makes note-never to piss off The Northern Baptist. ;)

Why don't we have the infrastructure to replicating again.

Ongoing stadium expansion,new tv deal coming next season and a strong commercial enterprise bringing more revenues,teams can win things without petro dollars in football today.

You won't see anything back off that stadium expansion for a good few years and in the intervening period paying the money back to FSG is going to handicap you in the transfer market. Then in about 10 years Anfield will probably need to be torn down anyway.

The extra tv deals won't give you any advantage against clubs in the Premier League, in fact the opposite as it'll marginalize your commercial advantage over clubs like Everton, Spurs and Southampton.

You're not really going forward commercially, not compared to ourselves, Chelsea or the Rags. You're just about keeping up with Arsenal and they're underperforming in that particular sector.

Teams can win things yes, it's very hard to build sustained success from behind the top teams without a helping hand though.

We might not be winning trophies now but today some clubs fans new with success seem to use liverpool as the yardstick to measure themselves with about what constitutes success,

Don't delude yourself, your no clubs yardstick any more, haven't been for a long, long time.

You've become a selling club, you are irrelevant to the really big clubs in Europe. I'd have a long hard think why this is the case if I was you, or is it easier to live in the past?

Why don't we have the infrastructure to replicating again.

Ongoing stadium expansion,new tv deal coming next season and a strong commercial enterprise bringing more revenues,teams can win things without petro dollars in football today.

No they can't. It's impossible. You have absolutely zero hope of winning the premier league or champs league under these American owners. That's zero. Nada. 0. Zilch.

All of the things you just listed are the same for many clubs. We're all taking in a lot more money than the past but that just means you have to spend even more, something the Americans won't do. You're a selling club battling for the hope of finishing top 4 and no amount of istree is gonna change that in the foreseeable.

Who let the dipper in just for everyone to take the piss? Seriously, isn't it time we moved the Liverpool thread to off topic? Let's face it, their idea of success this season would be finishing fourth and sterling getting injured.

Don't delude yourself, your no clubs yardstick any more, haven't been for a long, long time.

You've become a selling club, you are irrelevant to the really big clubs in Europe. I'd have a long hard think why this is the case if I was you, or is it easier to live in the past?

Just like the Likely Lads - and the rags - all they have to look forward to is the past.

They've spent a lot over the years, but never enough in one go to secure the PL.
It's the same issue Arsenal have had in recent years. Half arsed attempts at it.

Of course, they will argue that it's the advent of Chelsea and more latterly City that have put 'buying the title' beyond them, but that then suggests that actually there is nothing 'special' about clubs, and they can't win the league on sheer inspiration alone.

There's no denying they've been great in the past. But so have Ajax and Benfica. Things change, and nobody's queuing up to join Ajax these days, despite having some great European and domestic success.

For a 20 year old, Man City have been in the top 2 of the PL for the last 1/4 of their life. When you look at things in that way, you can understand why players aren't as attracted to Liverpool as they once were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.