Liverpool v City 1st leg CL Qtr Final post match

gutted, the fact we have such great team and bowed down to them and the way they play. we are way clear of them in the league and have been for seasons now for a reason, play the way we usually do and its a close game. tinker for one game at this late stage and you end up with egg on your face (like we did in Monaco), trying to silence a team that lives in the past is hard with results like that, and leaves a sour taste before the derby

Gundogan lost out of position. However, what does he do ? His career is based on ball winning ability, metronomic passing and going past players. But he's not known for striking a killer through ball and scoring goals. But it only works when he plays in the middle.

Ball winning? He bottles most 50/50's probably due to previous injuries and 3 assists in 30 app doesn't scream killer through balls.

I’d love to know what Pep was thinking tonight, I just can’t make sense of it.

Gundogan playing on the right side of midfield just mystifies me, it completely nullified any attacking impetus because he offers no threat in behind. That isn’t Gundogan’s fault, he’s not that type of player but by using him in that position it allowed Liverpool to defend compact and narrow on that side, which also allowed them to double up on Sane in the knowledge we couldn’t switch play quickly.

I absolutely love Pep and the way we play (usually) but he got this one completely wrong for me. He’s clearly got his reasons and doesn’t have to justify them to anybody given his record but I’m surprised he didn’t change it earlier.

At 3-0 I can’t see us recovering in this tie, we have to go for it and potentially we could get spanked again but we have nothing to lose now.
Its like he thought "we'll play exactly the same way but I'll put Gundogan on the right, see if that changes anything" Completely baffling

WQ
Pep made many mistakes in one game:

1- Playing Gundogan instead of Sterling or Bernardo was a big mistake. We couldn't create anything from the right and were predictable that we are relying on Sane.

2- Laporte is not LB, I would play Delph or Danilo because they know how to support Sane better.

3- Why not make any change after half time ?

4- Jesus is not half ready to replace Aguero yet and I am not sure if he will ever be good enough to be our main striker.

5- Never use Gundogan in any position other than DM, he did well there against Arsenal and Chelsea.

Anyway, Pep is a human and he will make mistakes over and over again but lets hope he will not repeat the same mistakes and learn.
There are some comments here i would struggle to argue against. The worst worry i have is that Jesus seems to have stagnated a little. However the entire teams progress was so huge in such a short time my expectations may be askew.

Your points about left back i agree with fully and the timing of subs; Gundogan also mostly. He can get forward but it depends on the opposition.

I may

Logs on to BM. Thinks 'how many posts read till obliquely-expressed Pep Out opinion? Sees 'how many games would Klopp win with our players.' Nods.

Fucks sake, people.

I do think its strange that we seemed so unprepared for Liverpool's press... We all know about their 'geignepress', and we pride ourselves on being comfotable in possession - on paper we should be able to cope with that. Why were the players not told to play one-touch football for the first 20 mins?

I am discussing Pep selection mainly.

Selecting Gundogan ahead of Sterling & Bernardo made us less creative on the right, as well as selecting Laporte ahead of Danilo or Delph made us less creative on the left. This is what I expected before the game and this is what happen.

We were dogshit with Sterling there, not long ago.

We let in, SHITE goals. There was no reason for any of them, just piss poor individual mistakes.

At 0-0 then it's possible to make tactical changes, rationally. with defending like that, it doesn't matter, we will lose, not only to Liverppol, but to Utd & Spurs, if the same players play so badly.

How can you admit the way we play is perfect for the opposition but still play that way. How does that make sense?

Not just once but several times when facing Klopp as a manager. Pep with significantly better teams has a worse head to head with Klopp.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.