Liverpool v City 1st leg CL Qtr Final post match

The sad part for me is that Pep sat there watching them continually maraud down our right and did nothing about it.

The game was over before Pep reacted.

People were saying we were in control for 10 minutes. I thought Liverpool just sat back while they sussed our formation. Then they went for us.

Pep believed his own hype last night and fucked about with the formation for no reason.

If Pep does not change his approach in situations like last night then we will just have to accept that we will continue to fail in Europe. As for a toss of a coin the only good thing about last night is that we did not end up like Brazil in the last World Cup (Ferno must have had nightmareish visions) and we still have an outside shot at redemption.

Personally I’d rather win the league every year by 16 points than a corrupt UEFA competition.

Anyone got a clip of the penalty sterling was asking for in the second half - BT didn't appear to show a reply although at the time I was convinced the left back handled the ball

it was a penalty ! didn't go our way

luck needed in the return leg

Anyone got a clip of the penalty sterling was asking for in the second half - BT didn't appear to show a reply although at the time I was convinced the left back handled the ball
Forget the hand and ball parts of it, I thought it was an outright penalty for taking him out in the box in the tackle - straight foul

City will (hopefully) get those decisions at home in the second leg.
2-0 up at half time plus one (or more) of their defenders on a yellow (preferably Trent) would be the perfect scenario.
Then it's just a matter of getting Sane or Sterling to draw the sending off and all of a sudden you only need 2 more goals against 10 men.
Football can change that quickly.

Gundo did not cover himself in glory and he looked out of place on the right flank, but he was just one of 11 rabbits caught in headlights. To single him out is preposterous; Walker and Sane were directly responsible for two goals each and Ota for the third.

The shitty part about last night was that it just reaffirms this whole notion that the Anfield atmosphere got the better of us. If you watch those first 10 minutes, we were comfortable and kept them at arms length; we were handling the atmosphere. We shot ourselves in the foot again though by conceding so early. Even before Sam Lee tweeted something very similar last night, I was talking to my brother about every time we lose at Anfield and how we concede in that first 15 minute period. It's a huge correlation. The two times recently that we haven't (under Mancini), we walked out with a score draw, which would have been invaluable last night. Once you give the Scousers something to hang onto, and they can see that what they're doing is working, they get a huge lift that is very hard to come back from. Once the second went in, you could see us buckle. As soon as I saw Otamendi needlessly charge out into midfield, I knew what was going to happen.

Pep does have to take the blame unfortunately. I have bigged him up all year long, because for me he is brilliant. We have put the league to the sword and he has given me the one thing I was waiting for: a year where we (seem to be) walking the league. However, Gundogan's inclusion was a huge error. He went against his word and changed his approach. Yes we were still playing our passing game etc. but one of the biggest strengths of our team is the ability to stretch our opponents by having our wingers get chalk on their boots and he packed it in. I fully understand the theory behind Gundogan's inclusion; the idea of getting an extra man in the middle to bypass the press from the midfield three of Liverpool looks good on paper. However, you could see that it disrupted how we usually play and how we normally press. The amount of times I saw Fernandinho press ridiculously high in the first half, leaving a gaping space behind him, was mad. We needed to stick last night, not twist.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.