Liverpool v City - post match thread

But if we played just an ordinary, even partly demotivated, match we should be getting a better performance than some of them we've seen. The performance in the second half at Spurs after their offside equaliser demonstrated the lack of effort and motivation and the determination vanished like water running through a colander. We do not seem to have the heart to go head to head with teams and seem to rely on innate and historic quality. Footballers need to get their hands dirty sometimes and we seem to favour the perfect execution. Just look at the number of touches some of our players are taking before attempting a shot.

I also think that the kind of goal that was conceded when a useless lump like Lallana can poke in one like that. Thirty minutes of resolute defending and it goes to shit. It then spreads like wildfire through the rest of the team.

The worrying thing about last night was just how predictable it all was. I had zero confidence we'd get anything other than beaten leading into the game. Beating them to the cup on Sunday, poor record at Anfield, the fact that Liverpool only seem to actually turn up when they play City, it all pointed towards a defeat, and a defeat in which we played poorly.

Last night was just the latest in a long line of awful performances this season, Spurs away, Liverpool at home, Leicester at home, West Ham at home, Stoke away, Arsenal away, Villa away, we've dropped points on a regular basis, and in an appalling manner. Still no back to back league wins since Bournemouth in mid October.

Our record against those sides around us is fucking embarrassing. In 10 games against Liverpool, United, West Ham, Arsenal, Leicester and Spurs we've picked up 3 points, 3 FUCKING POINTS!! We've conceded 22 goals into the bargain over those 10 games, we only conceded 29 goals in the entire season when we won the league under Mancini!

We're in real danger of slipping out of the top 4, which is completely unacceptable given the players we've got. We simply can't afford to be playing Europa League football next season. People have been slagging off Van Gaal, and United, all season, saying how shit they've been. Well, they're behind us on goal difference now (albeit with City having a game in hand) so what does that say about Pellegrini and City? We've no hope in hell of winning the Champion's League so a top 4 finish is a must.

I predict what result I believe City will get in each league game before the season starts, to project what points we'll finish on, and then to measure progress against that. Currently we are 11 points worse off than where I felt we would be. In our remaining games I predicted we'd win 8 and draw 3, dropping points away to Chelsea and Southampton, and at home to Arsenal. When you look at some of the teams we play between now and the end of the season you can see why, back in August, I was fairly confident. Villa, Norwich, Bournemouth, West Brom, Swansea, Newcastle, they all look winnable. If we achieve that points return, 27 points, we'd finish on 74 and be pretty certain of a top 4 finish, and not too far off top spot. However given what we've seen this season you'd be mad to expect that level of return. If I were to predict the results now I'd probably go for 5 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats, 17 points, finishing on 64 and being in a real scrap to finish in the top 4. The season, regardless of the Capital One Cup, has been an appalling mess.

But if we played just an ordinary, even partly demotivated, match we should be getting a better performance than some of them we've seen. The performance in the second half at Spurs after their offside equaliser demonstrated the lack of effort and motivation and the determination vanished like water running through a colander. We do not seem to have the heart to go head to head with teams and seem to rely on innate and historic quality. Footballers need to get their hands dirty sometimes and we seem to favour the perfect execution. Just look at the number of touches some of our players are taking before attempting a shot.

I also think that the kind of goal that was conceded when a useless lump like Lallana can poke in one like that. Thirty minutes of resolute defending and it goes to shit. It then spreads like wildfire through the rest of the team.
I think we're in agreement.

After conceding such a goal I can see Pep or Simeone or Klopp or Red Nose or even Mourinho (pre meltdown mode) getting the best out of their teams. The half time talk would have been inspiring, motivating, and putting the fear of God into the players. There's zero chance of a team under such leadership responding with an "I don't care" attitude.

Why is this happening to City?... it's the Demotivator.

Unfortunately last night was not an isolated display. In pelligrinis first season we had a couple of displays of a similar lack of effort or tactical regard for the opposition. Last season a few more and this season they are occurring regularly. Not one of this (c)harming man's buys has improved the team and now our best players are starting to look disinterested and de-motivated. The squad needs a big shake up and some freshness and energy. Hopefully Pep's the man to do i.

If we beat Arsenal/Rags and Chelsea away and don't lose again this season I'll say we just about deserve a top 4 finish.

As we stand, actually looking at some of the stats, I can't believe we are still in the top 4. The league being so poor actually makes it worse. That we are stuttering, even with these injuries, is odd to say the least.

What is clear is the tank is empty. We need players back and pronto. After Villa we need to recover, get a few back and finish this season strongly.

It's about top 4 now, well top 3. This squad has to get us over the lind
I don't really agree when everyone says the league is so poor this season just because the supposed big clubs are poor. Other clubs have improved massively like West Ham, Leicester, Southampton, Stoke etc all suddenly have players and squads that make beating the top teams much more likely. We are shit and Chelsea, arsenal and united have been bad, but there are a lot of teams that i think have improved a lot.

If we beat Arsenal/Rags and Chelsea away and don't lose again this season I'll say we just about deserve a top 4 finish.

As we stand, actually looking at some of the stats, I can't believe we are still in the top 4. The league being so poor actually makes it worse. That we are stuttering, even with these injuries, is odd to say the least.

What is clear is the tank is empty. We need players back and pronto. After Villa we need to recover, get a few back and finish this season strongly.

It's about top 4 now, well top 3. This squad has to get us over the lind

I think there's more chance of getting last night replayed!

The worrying thing about last night was just how predictable it all was. I had zero confidence we'd get anything other than beaten leading into the game. Beating them to the cup on Sunday, poor record at Anfield, the fact that Liverpool only seem to actually turn up when they play City, it all pointed towards a defeat, and a defeat in which we played poorly.

Last night was just the latest in a long line of awful performances this season, Spurs away, Liverpool at home, Leicester at home, West Ham at home, Stoke away, Arsenal away, Villa away, we've dropped points on a regular basis, and in an appalling manner. Still no back to back league wins since Bournemouth in mid October.

Our record against those sides around us is fucking embarrassing. In 10 games against Liverpool, United, West Ham, Arsenal, Leicester and Spurs we've picked up 3 points, 3 FUCKING POINTS!! We've conceded 22 goals into the bargain over those 10 games, we only conceded 29 goals in the entire season when we won the league under Mancini!

We're in real danger of slipping out of the top 4, which is completely unacceptable given the players we've got. We simply can't afford to be playing Europa League football next season. People have been slagging off Van Gaal, and United, all season, saying how shit they've been. Well, they're behind us on goal difference now (albeit with City having a game in hand) so what does that say about Pellegrini and City? We've no hope in hell of winning the Champion's League so a top 4 finish is a must.

I predict what result I believe City will get in each league game before the season starts, to project what points we'll finish on, and then to measure progress against that. Currently we are 11 points worse off than where I felt we would be. In our remaining games I predicted we'd win 8 and draw 3, dropping points away to Chelsea and Southampton, and at home to Arsenal. When you look at some of the teams we play between now and the end of the season you can see why, back in August, I was fairly confident. Villa, Norwich, Bournemouth, West Brom, Swansea, Newcastle, they all look winnable. If we achieve that points return, 27 points, we'd finish on 74 and be pretty certain of a top 4 finish, and not too far off top spot. However given what we've seen this season you'd be mad to expect that level of return. If I were to predict the results now I'd probably go for 5 wins, 2 draws and 4 defeats, 17 points, finishing on 64 and being in a real scrap to finish in the top 4. The season, regardless of the Capital One Cup, has been an appalling mess.
Great post Matty.

I have slowly begun to lose faith that we would turn it around and now realise we are in a real scrap for top four. Occasional good wins have masked this steady decline.

I don't really agree when everyone says the league is so poor this season just because the supposed big clubs are poor. Other clubs have improved massively like West Ham, Leicester, Southampton, Stoke etc all suddenly have players and squads that make beating the top teams much more likely. We are shit and Chelsea, arsenal and united have been bad, but there are a lot of teams that i think have improved a lot.

It depends how you look at it and it's a debate that's gone on all season.

For me, a league that can be won at around 75 points is weak. Teams that can lose 10 games and still qualify for the champions league, suggests that the standard is poor.

And the teams your talking about have hardly spent. They've spent well, yes, and that's the difference. We've blown 230 million in 2 seasons.

What have Spurs/Leicester/West Ham spent in that time?

I love the hypocrisy of this place.
'How fucking dare he play a weakened side in any competition, how dare he! We pay our money and they are top athletes. Our strongest team should play every game.
To
'How fucking dare Pellegrini keep playing these obviously tired players, he's run everyone into the ground.'
Moving goalposts Spring to mind, almost like people want him to fail so they have something to moan about on the Internet.

Still, that was shit. There's no other way to put it. I think we can all agree that we will be happy when this season is over. Let's concentrate on getting there first!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.