Liverpool v City - post match thread

abject performance, no-one running, no-one looking remotely interested
pele - 'they're tired'. professional athletes tired? liverpool not tired. enough said.
i think khaldoon might need to and speak to them; it worked in 2012 after the arsenal defeat (balo sent off).

Really don't know where to begin with what I saw last night.

I thought up until the first goal we were okay. It was playing out relatively similar to the league cup final only difference being that I felt Lallana and Origi were posing more problems for our midfield and back four than Sturridge and Firmino did on Sunday.

The goal went in and from there it was standard City under Pellegrini in the last 12 months. An absolute abject lack of intelligence, leadership, composure, pretty much anything that you'd consider a basic tenet of football when you go a goal behind at a place like Anfield, we forsook all those things. Instead we had Kompany and Otamendi charging up the pitch with the ball at their feet leaving huge gaps behind them.

The less said about last night's midfield the better. Fernandinho showed why for all his qualities he isn't a Toure replacement, not even close. Both him and Fernando had literally no idea how to deal with Henderson, Can, or Lallana defensively, and had not anywhere near the range of passing to be able to impact the game in the final third. Silva was a joke. Anonymous, giving the ball away, and generally doing his best impression of someone who isn't arsed about doing the hard yards.

Navas, Sterling, and Kun did the best they could but when there's zero service for them, little in the way of support from the midfield, and the knowledge that they were going to be kicked up into the air every time the ball came near them.

We've seen the best and the worst of Pellegrini's 'trust' this week. His call to put Willy in nets was fully vindicated. However the substitution of Bony for Raheem was a thing of staggering stupidity. We brought on our least mobile attacking player to try and impact a game in which our lack of mobility in midfield was killing us and we took of a mobile and pacy player to do that. On top of that, the only reason Bony got the nod ahead of Kelechi was his seniority in the side (there's that trust thing). It was a decision that smacked of keeping the peace and throwing in a player he wanted a year ago rather than making the tough call, which was to put Kelechi on. From there, the Fernandinho substitution was just lamentable. It took everything to not just switch off at that point.

We're a long way from being a Pep Guardiola side. Those players who have the quality, a lot of them don't have the application. And those players who have the application, lack the quality. This is the biggest challenge he's faced since he came into coaching and it'll take one hell of a summer from Begiristain to give him the tools he requires to play the way he wants to play.
Decent analysis except we were definitely not ok up until the first goal went in.
For the first twenty minutes our performance was abject. Couldn't pass, couldn't keep possession, couldn't tackle, lost every second ball, outfought and outplayed in midfield. The only saving grace was that Liverpool lacked a killer ball and Vinny was marshaling the defence better than the shambles in the reverse fixture at the Etihad. Then we had a good ten minutes, created a couple of half chances but then Joe did his thing and things got worst.
The point I'm making is that it didn't go all wrong when we went one behind. We were poor right from the start.

Decent analysis except we were definitely not ok up until the first goal went in.
For the first twenty minutes our performance was abject. Couldn't pass, couldn't keep possession, couldn't tackle, lost every second ball, outfought and outplayed in midfield. The only saving grace was that Liverpool lacked a killer ball and Vinny was marshaling the defence better than the shambles in the reverse fixture at the Etihad. Then we had a good ten minutes, created a couple of half chances but then Joe did his thing and things got worst.
The point I'm making is that it didn't go all wrong when we went one behind. We were poor right from the start.
An accurate synopsis

That's a fair assessment .

Milner
i booed him im afraid,
he annoyed me with his goal celebration - i know he is entitled....but right in front of the city end....i expected him to be somewhat reserved.
Same mate, clapped him at the start of the game but that didn't last long

abject performance, no-one running, no-one looking remotely interested
pele - 'they're tired'. professional athletes tired? liverpool not tired. enough said.
i think khaldoon might need to and speak to them; it worked in 2012 after the arsenal defeat (balo sent off).
Not enough petrol in their tanks. Im sure the Sheik can sort that out :)

Same mate, clapped him at the start of the game but that didn't last long

I get the feeling Milner always felt a bit part player for us. Didn't start the big games until the last season. None of the finals and missed out on both title games. He was mainly a sub. Probably doesn't have a lot of attachment based on that.

Empty performance - seemed like they were going through motions. Well done to everyone who bothered going last night. I know its been an expensive few weeks but not selling out at Liverpool was a surprise to me. Maybe the players sense the supporters have also lost belief.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.