London

Always love going down there and having a blow-out. If you’ve got money to burn, it’s just the fucking best. I love the place; it’s one of the world’s great cities. I wouldn’t want to live there, but I’d love to be able to afford to visit more often.

You've done all the wetherspoons then?

You've done all the wetherspoons then?
Heard an interesting fact about Wetherspoons a while back. Give or take, half their annual turnover goes to the Exchequer. Duty on alcohol being the largest chunk. Compare that to Amazon and Starbucks. A great business model and yes, I do use them from time to time, but only as a last resort. English pubs are one of my great passions and there’s too many exceptional ones up and down this land, for me too waste too many hours in a Wetherspoons.

I think a good English pub, is my idea of heaven.

Heard an interesting fact about Wetherspoons a while back. Give or take, half their turnover goes to the Exchequer. Compare that to Amazon and Starbucks. Great business model and yes, I do use them from time to time, but only as a last resort. English pubs are one of my great passions and there’s too many exceptional ones up and down this land, for me too waste too many hours in a Wetherspoons. I think a good English pub, is my idea of heaven.

Agred. Especially hidden country pubs. Been lucky enough to visit some belters around the country.

Cheers GDM and I know you're right. London is HUGE. It's no surprise they see people from the provinces as irrelevant; they've got everything down here: It's like America in a city; they don't need a passport. The last thing they need is to tolerate outsiders infiltrating their space.

Heard an interesting fact about Wetherspoons a while back. Give or take, half their annual turnover goes to the Exchequer. Duty on alcohol being the largest chunk. Compare that to Amazon and Starbucks. A great business model and yes, I do use them from time to time, but only as a last resort. English pubs are one of my great passions and there’s too many exceptional ones up and down this land, for me too waste too many hours in a Wetherspoons.

I think a good English pub, is my idea of heaven.
Now that is a beautiful post. Wetherspoons serve a valued functional role in modern life for me; cheap ale, quick food, served in a flash at the bar, grub brought out like they value serving it, and all done and dusted in an hour or so to enable us to go and enjoy the rest of day or evening or whatever may lay ahead.
The proper pub in its basest form is still the best place in the whole wide world to be. A Wetherspoons is like the base layer, or a massage; an enabler and a solid foundation if you will.

Looking forward to a good night out in town now featuring at some point the Circus Tavern despite its Younited leanings. Always a decent convo to be had in there.

Now that is a beautiful post. Wetherspoons serve a valued functional role in modern life for me; cheap ale, quick food, served in a flash at the bar, grub brought out like they value serving it, and all done and dusted in an hour or so to enable us to go and enjoy the rest of day or evening or whatever may lay ahead.
The proper pub in its basest form is still the best place in the whole wide world to be. A Wetherspoons is like the base layer, or a massage; an enabler and a solid foundation if you will.
100‰

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.