Long Forgotten Testimonials

Went to one at Goodison in the early 90’s with an Evertonian mate and sat in the Gwladys with him for it -I think we lost 3-1. All I remember is an Everton Fan was brought on as Sub for the last 20 minutes or- so living the dream basically -but the Everton players refused to pass to him -though he ran about gamely enough and got a few touches (much to the sparse crowd’s delight)

I think the first testimonial I went to was Bill Taylor's.
City played an England XI and Leeds Trevor Cherry played for City!

CITY 1 ENGLAND 2

Bill Taylor Memorial Match

9th February 1982

Attendance 11,106

Scorers
City
Bond(50 pen)
England Barnes(35), Coppell(47)

Ref Neil Midgeley

City Corrigan, Ranson, McDonald, Cherry, Bond, Caton, Kinsey, Reeves, Francis, Hutchison, Power

England Shilton, Sansom, Martin, Foster, Anderson, Rix, Robson, Wilkins, Coppell, Brooking, Barnes
Red Ray Wilkins missed an absolutely ridiculous sitter that night with a completely open goal 3 yards out IIRC -the highlight of the night for me

That was Burnley keeper Alan Stevenson”s testimonial. We had Phil Harrington from Chester in the goals for us that night. I also remember a full scale pitch invasion after the game. I’m sure it finished 4=4.
I went to this one. It finished 3-3 although we left before the end when we were 3-2 down. I seem to recall that Joe Corrigan started the game but was replaced at halftime and then he reappeared later as a sub and went up front. We played in red and black.

I went to the Tony Dunne one at the swamp, City won 2-1, I went in the scoreboard end which was full of the Salford lot then, no segregation, tasty.

I went to this one. It finished 3-3 although we left before the end when we were 3-2 down. I seem to recall that Joe Corrigan started the game but was replaced at halftime and then he reappeared later as a sub and went up front. We played in red and black.
Well remembered. I think Joe just came on as sub upfront though. Phil Harrington was definitely in the goals.

Anyone remember the Simon who came on as sub for City in the Freddie Hill testimonial. I’m sure he played for Charlton but randomly rocked up at City for that game.

My first City game was a testimonial for Johnny Hart in the early 1970's
I was pretty young and memory is hazy. I think we played Chelsea at Maine Road. Not listed in the record books that I have checked. Would be nice to know the date of my first City game if anyone can help?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.