Long Forgotten Testimonials

Another testimonial I attended was at Exeter City, which Frank Newton (he of Imre Banana fame), and possibly @Mad Eyed Screamer, attended.

It was the summer of 1991. At the time, there were rumours doing the rounds that we were going to sign Dean Saunders.

At one point, during the second half, City had a corner, and we were standing right behind the goal.

Peter Reid - then player / manager - was standing on one of the posts, and Frank asked him, "Is Swales going to give you the money, Peter?

"I fucking hope so," was Reidy's response
Yes I was there with Frank and we were drinking in a pub outside the cathedral afterwards when the players bus pulled up!
Here is me and Quinny.
I stood on the curb and he off it to "even the size up a bit"
Screenshot_20230429-163828_Facebook.jpg

Yes I was there with Frank and we were drinking in a pub outside the cathedral afterwards when the players bus pulled up!
Here is me and Quinny.
I stood on the curb and he off it to "even the size up a bit"
View attachment 131856
I was there, too, because I remember shaking Quinny's hand, and congratulating him on his recent hat-trick against Palace.

I think the first testimonial I went to was Bill Taylor's.
City played an England XI and Leeds Trevor Cherry played for City!

CITY 1 ENGLAND 2

Bill Taylor Memorial Match

9th February 1982

Attendance 11,106

Scorers
City
Bond(50 pen)
England Barnes(35), Coppell(47)

Ref Neil Midgeley

City Corrigan, Ranson, McDonald, Cherry, Bond, Caton, Kinsey, Reeves, Francis, Hutchison, Power

England Shilton, Sansom, Martin, Foster, Anderson, Rix, Robson, Wilkins, Coppell, Brooking, Barnes

I remember going to a testimonial for Preston player Ryan Kidd at Deepdale with my wife's stepdad. A keen Preston fan and closet rag. Think it was when Joe Royle was manager, sat with Preston fans who were impressed with the size of our following and the ovation we gave Ryan Kidd. Know we won but cant remember the score. Any blues there fill in the blanks in my memory.

I think the first testimonial I went to was Bill Taylor's.
City played an England XI and Leeds Trevor Cherry played for City!

CITY 1 ENGLAND 2

Bill Taylor Memorial Match

9th February 1982

Attendance 11,106

Scorers
City
Bond(50 pen)
England Barnes(35), Coppell(47)

Ref Neil Midgeley

City Corrigan, Ranson, McDonald, Cherry, Bond, Caton, Kinsey, Reeves, Francis, Hutchison, Power

England Shilton, Sansom, Martin, Foster, Anderson, Rix, Robson, Wilkins, Coppell, Brooking, Barnes
Cherry?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.