Long weekend in Istanbul at end of May - Turkey on Govt Red List

Why wouldn't UEFA postpone and move the final from Istanbul? They postponed and moved it last year under the same circumstances. Istanbul would be a much better tourist destination in 2022, Istanbul and Turkey would be promoted in a much better light.
Under present conditions, at best, only a handful of fans would be able to travel instead of tens of thousands. The local economy would be boosted significantly with a fan packed city. Doesn't make economic sense apart from anything else. There are several quite viable and more Covid free cities who would gladly accept the opportunity.
If we are talking a City/Chelsea final, and we'll know on that in just six days time, then somewhere like Cardiff is a no brainer.
Otherwise, as posted earlier, New York would be a brilliant stage for Europe's finest to present/promote football (soccer) to that vast, and still relatively untapped, market. A golden, and fortuitous, opportunity not to be grabbed by UEFA. An absolute money spinner, isn't that UEFA's philosophy.

Why wouldn't UEFA postpone and move the final from Istanbul? They postponed and moved it last year under the same circumstances. Istanbul would be a much better tourist destination in 2022, Istanbul and Turkey would be promoted in a much better light.
Under present conditions, at best, only a handful of fans would be able to travel instead of tens of thousands. The local economy would be boosted significantly with a fan packed city. Doesn't make economic sense apart from anything else. There are several quite viable and more Covid free cities who would gladly accept the opportunity.
If we are talking a City/Chelsea final, and we'll know on that in just six days time, then somewhere like Cardiff is a no brainer.
Otherwise, as posted earlier, New York would be a brilliant stage for Europe's finest to present/promote football (soccer) to that vast, and still relatively untapped, market. A golden, and fortuitous, opportunity not to be grabbed by UEFA. An absolute money spinner, isn't that UEFA's philosophy.
No guarantee that moving it means you can get fans in. They did that last year and things got worse in Portugal.

Cases have been coming down already in Turkey (Ramadan) and now a lockdown will bring that to safer rates.

We can't go anywhere from the UK at the minute so we need to wait for that.

And again, we've still got a lot of work to do next week.

Nonsense that its in Istanbul.

Despite the fact I think the place is a shit hole I will go if I can, even without bars.
Gotta admit. It’s never been up there on my bucket list
Even pre COVID if we had to go there for a game it would be an organised trip regardless of the cost. With the prerequisite that I spend as little time in the place as humanly possible

Have a lot of people booked flights already? I’m tempted while the prices are reasonable but you know they can change venues at a drop of a hat.

No guarantee that moving it means you can get fans in. They did that last year and things got worse in Portugal.

Cases have been coming down already in Turkey (Ramadan) and now a lockdown will bring that to safer rates.

We can't go anywhere from the UK at the minute so we need to wait for that.

And again, we've still got a lot of work to do next week.
Health experts are calling for it to be moved:

I've seen 9,000 fans as a limit suggested in a few places.

Hosting European Cup final outside of Europe?

Thats epitome of plastic. UEFA for once are right about something. Not everything should be whored for commericial gain, even UEFA realises this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.