Loudest noise at a City match

1969 FA Cup 4th round replay v Newcastle at Maine Road, on a cold Wednesday night, with over 60,000 present. Spine tingling.
Was stood in the old scoreboard end that night - I always reckoned that a lot of the crowd noise in MR wafted away over those open terraces. It was a great atmosphere though - loads of Geordies in that end singing "I'm a Magpie" to the tune of Lulu's "I'm a Tiger". Funny how certain things stick in the memory.

All mentioned so far are good, add to it Aris fans and lech Poznań fans, they both made a racket.
Mark Hughes said the noise after Sergio’s goal was the loudest he had heard at a match ever..

1981 FA Cuo Semi Final is still one of my favourites.
Although I hope we never get entitled enough to think we should be in every domestic cup final it isn't really a huge surprise when we get to an FA or League Cup final. That day I remember it being a very big deal to get to Wembley.
Most people expected Ipswich to beat us at Villa Park as they were going for the double and the game in truth ike many Semi finals and finals was a bit shit really.
When Paul Power curled in that beauty (which is often referred to as a free kick but Steve Mackenzie actually took the free kick didn't he) it was absolute manic celebrations on The Holte End . After the goal i still remember how loud it was for the rest of the game (the volume turned up to 111 let alone 11!). Like at Blackburn a couple of decades later it also seemed that there were (very vocal) blues everywhere. One thing I alsi clearly remember was how many times Gerry Gow's name was sang by the City fans.
Shortly afterwards I remember Joe Corrigan saying that it was the loudest noise he had heard coming from City fans in his career.
I was 15 and it was my first experience of a "big game".

My old man was a regular but as he went with his brother and mates, me and my cousin only went occasionally then. But seeing we had gone to the Palace and Norwich games, they somehow convinced our ma's to let us go.

We were in the Holte End. It was packed in there, people were looking out for us though and the banter, songs, swearing were all amplified, i'd never seen anything like it.
We saw Power's shot (yeah Mackenzie touched it to the left) coming right for us before it curled in. It was pandemonium after that, wow, and it took ages to get situated again. It was so loud after that, we were all singing in unison, it was brilliant and then it all started again when the final whistle blew.

I thought games like that would be a regular occurance, not knowing we'd have to wait another 30 years, but i'll never forget that day!

I don`t even remember the first gaol then if GK scored it ?

Seem to think it was a shit from the edge of the box but it was nearly 60 years ago, makes me feel old (FOC me)
As I recall Ged Keegan's first goal was a glancing header off a cross ball from the Kippax side of the pitch.
Can't remember who crossed it though.
One thing for sure, it definitely wasn't a SHIT from the edge of the box :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.