Lu Martin: Allegedly Guardiola sees City as "small club"

When I was younger I remember ranking clubs on attendance and writing em in my football book! I always had us, Everton and Spurs on a par and the rags, Arsenal and Liverpool at the 3 biggest clubs. It was probably late 70's early 80's though before we got relegated.

I still think we are a rung below those three based on fan base, similar to Spurs and Chelsea and bigger than Everton nowadays although I rate them as fans particularly the numbers they still take away despite little success for many years.

Arsenal didn't have great attendances back then

Whether we like it or not, he's pretty much right, even if he does consider us a smaller club than the established elite, which he's not said he's got a point.

Is it necessarily an insult? On the back of recent officiating he may be seeing what we all refere to as a favouring of the established cash cows in the league.
Perhaps he's unhappy with the way he sees us and the others portrayed in the media?

Perhaps, and I'd agree here after a few dodgy results and a couple of sub par performances hears the stadium is groaning at every decission he makes and a vocal deriding his plan for our future.

He may even be referring to the constant early leavers and pretty poor atmosphere. He is constantly trying to encourage us.

It may not be a popular view, but;
We don't have the media fawning.
We don't have that vocal a crowd.
Officiating equalities.
We do more often than not see 10,000 empty seats from 85 minutes on wards.
There hasn't been the love for him he's used to.

He's clearly trying to build a bond between fans, players and himself. He's always sending players to show their support for the away fans.

I don't like it, but I don't care. The outside World don't see us like the established in England let alone Europe.
I imagine he means we're a level below the elite, I don't see an issue with that. Villareal? No.
Would we have an issue with comparisons to Seville, Valencia, Athletic, Leverkusen? I wouldn't.

I got my first season ticket in 1988, I don't consider us one of Europe's biggest clubs. I don't see why Pep would considering his managerial and playing career. The poor man's professional interaction with us was meeting Beanie & PSYCO for fucks sake.
Pretty much what I said n'all. If he did say this I don't see a problem with him saying it and agree with him.

This one will be percolated through the media in a vain attempt to counter the growing sold site mentality that we have..pathetic attempt to stop fans getting behind Pep....fook em right off

Arsenal didn't have great attendances back then

You are right. I've just been looking at a website for attendance geeks and we were regularly number 3/4 whilst in old Div 1 and still in the top 8 when dropped down to old div2 in 82/83. It was only in 87/88 when we dropped to 12th.

1982/83 Chelsea average 12k!
1990/91 Newcastle 16k!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.