Luck to win the Champions League

The whole competition is 90% luck. Chelsea were awful when they won it the first time but arguably deserved to win it on a couple of occasions before that.

A Real Madrid side that in my opinion was only the second best team in their country during that period won it three times in a row.

Cup competitions aren’t won by the best team. Look at the vermin’s passage to the final. There’s a lot of luck involved in the draw but also in terms of the actual games themselves. If Foden or Mahrez had scored their chances when we were 2-0 up last week or Grealish had scored when we were 1-0 up this week we wouldn’t be sat here analysing this.

It’s football. These things happen. I do think that we need to be more ruthless in front of goal overall and I think that’s our main weakness. We always create more chances than the teams we play against, it’s just case of actually finishing them. I think Haaland would go a long way in helping us rectify that
At the end of the day poor defending not for the first time done us in. We need Haaland but we also need a stronger core next season.

They might have turned the volume up after 90 mins when the first goal was scored, but not a peep from them when Mahrez scored, and thousands left as the clock ran down, and they didn't even threaten to score, whereas we looked like scoring from virtually every attack!

true
but the goal set the place on fire and city players just panic stations

Blah blah blah.

One year is luck. Consecutive “flukes” every single season in this completion isn’t bad luck, it’s something far more fundamental.
THAT IS JUST NONSENSE MY FRIEND - IT HAPPENS just look at bayern , look at rags , look at madrid - it happens - these things take time and you obviously dont have patience - you need to get out more - fundamental is just a big word really and Im not sure you really understand the meaning of it - but hey you have your view I have mine - move along and if you are a proper supporter - go and support your team and stop your silly criticising at this time - we will win the champions league cup competition sometime but who knows when and really I dont think its that important apart from the dosh-its a cup competition and no real reflection of true consistency and quality over the course of a football season which the premiership is

THAT IS JUST NONSENSE MY FRIEND - IT HAPPENS just look at bayern , look at rags , look at madrid - it happens - these things take time and you obviously dont have patience - you need to get out more - fundamental is just a big word really and Im not sure you really understand the meaning of it - but hey you have your view I have mine - move along and if you are a proper supporter - go and support your team and stop your silly criticising at this time - we will win the champions league cup competition sometime but who knows when and really I dont think its that important apart from the dosh-its a cup competition and no real reflection of true consistency and quality over the course of a football season which the premiership is

Funnily enough, having actually been to school, I do know the meaning of the word fundamental and that’s why I chose it.

If there wasn't corruption in money oriented football, then we wouldn't get the most difficult draws in Europe time after time reffed by the most incompetant idiots I've witnessed in 50 yrs of the game.
Plus the Dippers wouldn't be 1 point behind us in the Premier league.
Is that bad luck or do we need luck?
Money fuelled hatred and corruption isn't about lady luck

When a competition has knock-out football, the winners are always going to need a bit of luck. No club can guarantee not to have a single bad (or unlucky) game.

If the Champions League was what the name implies (a league) so we played every other club & totted up the points, I'd fancy our chances much more.

I don't want to single anyone out but I don't see how anyone can say there is no such thing as luck. Especially when they then go on to describe the problem as chance and circumstance.

Definition of luck

a : A force that brings good fortune or adversity

b : The events or circumstances that operate for or against an individual

2: Favouring chance
You can overcome adversity(bad/biased officiating), you can overcome setbacks(injuries), you have to take advantage of when chance favours you etc I understand all that but it doesn't mean luck doesn't exist or that your are "creating your own luck" completely.

Not in my view anyway, you have to accept that not everything is under your control no matter what you do. The best you can do is reduce or enhance your chances of certain events occurring.

I think we have a manager that does that. We create loads of chances, we concede few chances, we control games(we've done that even against the best teams). We're so used to playing against 12men, to the point where even a bent ref knows when they'll have to take a day off from the agenda because City are giving him nothing to work with. Pep overcomes setbacks such as: Key players being injured, having no natural left back, having no strikers etc consistently and still has success where some managers would be left with nothing and pointing to things that were out of their control.

There's still only so much he can do though. As for mentality, everybody saw Villarreal(7th in La Liga) rattled Liverpool for pretty much the whole of the first half in their home leg. So even the manager who's supposed biggest strength is instilling a strong mentality sees his team rattled(more often than people realise).

Aspects like: When it occurs in the match, what impact it has on the tie(how many of the chances they concede are converted) and how long they have left to regain their composure and turn it around if need be, is all chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.