Luck to win the Champions League

Whilst luck undoubtedly plays a part, we cannot put it all down to bad luck.

I've said this before and been challenged over it, but my personal view is a lot of it is down to Pep. In my mind there is no doubt that Pep is one of, if not THE best manager in the world in terms of getting the most out of a whole squad of players over the course of a season. He's probably the best. I know this season we probably do have our best 11, but by and large, we can play the same way, dominating and controlling the game no matter who we play. Players can be swapped in and out and can all do a job, almost seemlessly. Of course some are stronger than others, but the players all know the system and how to play it.

That means that over 38 and more games, we can manage injuries and suspensions and still come out winning more often than not. And coming out on top of the league at the end of the season.

But in 1-off, must win games? I think Pep is well behind other managers. He's not won the CL now in what is it. 11 attempts? Whilst for many if not most of those, having the best team at his disposal. This is not unlucky, it's a pattern. He overthinks, meddles with working formations, fails to make mid-game changes when they are being cried out for, makes them too late, and makes bizarre changes when he does. I am not saying he shite at it, but I do think he's far from the best.

This for me, is why we have not won the CL these last few seasons, and honestly, under Pep, I don't think we ever will. I don't think for one moment, we would have beaten Liverpool in the final had we got there. I just don't think Pep has what it takes in those sorts of ultra-high pressure games.

Does that mean I want him gone? No, of course not. We'll win the league most seasons when he is our manager, and frankly although it would be "nice" to win the CL, at the end of the day it's no big deal for me. Premier League Champions gives me way more pleasure, knowing we're the best team over the whole season.. and seeing us playing brilliant football week in, week out. I hope he stays for 10 more years, CL or no CL.

I've said this before and been challenged over it, but my personal view is a lot of it is down to Pep. In my mind there is no doubt that Pep is one of, if not THE best manager in the world in terms of getting the most out of a whole squad of players over the course of a season. He's probably the best. I know this season we probably do have our best 11, but by and large, we can play the same way, dominating and controlling the game no matter who we play. Players can be swapped in and out and can all do a job, almost seemlessly. Of course some are stronger than others, but the players all know the system and how to play it.

That means that over 38 and more games, we can manage injuries and suspensions and still come out winning more often than not. And coming out on top of the league at the end of the season.

But in 1-off, must win games? I think Pep is well behind other managers. He's not won the CL now in what is it. 11 attempts? Whilst for many if not most of those, having the best team at his disposal. This is not unlucky, it's a pattern. He overthinks, meddles with working formations, fails to make mid-game changes when they are being cried out for, makes them too late, and makes bizarre changes when he does. I am not saying he shite at it, but I do think he's far from the best.

This for me, is why we have not won the CL these last few seasons, and honestly, under Pep, I don't think we ever will. I don't think for one moment, we would have beaten Liverpool in the final had we got there. I just don't think Pep has what it takes in those sorts of ultra-high pressure games.

Does that mean I want him gone? No, of course not. We'll win the league most seasons when he is our manager, and frankly although it would be "nice" to win the CL, at the end of the day it's no big deal for me. Premier League Champions gives me way more pleasure, knowing we're the best team over the whole season.. and seeing us playing brilliant football week in, week out. I hope he stays for 10 more years, CL or no CL.
Interesting post. It mIght be possible to test that theory but I’m not clever enough.

What I will disagree with is the “overthinking” word. It’s just a thing people say now and has little relevance other than opinion. Pep is usually accused of overthinking when he loses. The standard of opposition generally is higher in the CL and the latter stages are knockout so Pep is more likely to lose and therefore more likely to be accused of overthinking in the CL.

Pep follows the same thought process in every game whether it’s Rotherham or Bayern. The two Pep books go into what that is and players state he is the same with every game regardless of the standard.

Pep, compared to every coach out there, “overthinks” every game… it’s just that it becomes a thing when we lose. He will never change nor should he.

I dont see it as luck I see it as gravitas resulting in bias. slight slight bias in every game but it all adds up.

RM, lfc, Barca, Bayern, utd will always get the preferable treatment and hence win the competition all the time. Success breads success. Preferable treatment comes from : Media, UEFA, refs, authorities, broadcasting partners....... Give all of that to lets say Atletico or Lyon continuously (instead of RM/Barca/Bayern/LFC/etc) they too would be winning it every year, getting more confident, getting more money, buying better players.

Gravitas = clickbait I suppose.

11 years with a team like us (And the shit stick we've been given by UEFA over the years), with Bayern (Who should be winning it anyway despite him)... Maybe theres a UEFA conspiracy against him.

No matter what his bestest chance of winning it is with City now

We’ve been knocked out by Lyon, Monaco, Spurs (lol) and a far from peak Liverpool side in recent years.

We can’t moan about being drawn against the strongest teams.

It’s. All. On. City.
Poor old Johnny you've had too many mars bars mate - take a look at things recently just look at the injury list of defenders - STONES , aKE . walker , earlier zinchenko . Add to that KDB has been carrying an injury pretty much all season so frankly we have done an amazing job with what we have left - they are knackered after all the recent games , players have played too much with not enough rest and at the level they play that is essential to maintain performance - add to that clear and obvious refereeing errors in Spurs match , Rm match and Athletico not to mention the most glaring errors in the Liverpool game - God almighty its am=ZING WHt they have done - this isnt 'Bottling ' my friend by any way shape or form so if you do actually support

Obviously there's more luck in a cup competition than in the league. The draw, for a start. Or getting injuries to key players just in time for a difficult match. But that's not why we're not in the final this year and it's not why we didn't win the final last year.

You need luck but most of all you need goal scorers.

There have been many times we've had shambolic referee decisions go against us.

I still maintain that we need to put the games out of sight early on so there is no chance that can happen to us.. sorta like the Porto tie.. lead by 4-5 goals and take the fun out of the game.

Spot on. There is something about the one off big games with Pep. There seems to be at least one example every season and it can only be psychological.

Poor old Johnny you've had too many mars bars mate - take a look at things recently just look at the injury list of defenders - STONES , aKE . walker , earlier zinchenko . Add to that KDB has been carrying an injury pretty much all season so frankly we have done an amazing job with what we have left - they are knackered after all the recent games , players have played too much with not enough rest and at the level they play that is essential to maintain performance - add to that clear and obvious refereeing errors in Spurs match , Rm match and Athletico not to mention the most glaring errors in the Liverpool game - God almighty its am=ZING WHt they have done - this isnt 'Bottling ' my friend by any way shape or form so if you do actually support

Blah blah blah.

One year is luck. Consecutive “flukes” every single season in this completion isn’t bad luck, it’s something far more fundamental.

You make your own luck, and sometimes you stop believing when something goes against you,
they also say if you don't learn by your mistakes, you'll never will

I will say one thing we need to learn from the Madrid game the other night is the Madrid fans turned up the volume
we need that at the Etihad and in big games, MAKE SOME NOISE it was the 12th man, they blew the roof off ?
I used to laugh at the media when they said it's on a night like this, European nights Manchester city at the Etihad don't have ? Well, I understand it now Madrid fans made the difference and the city players collapsed and panic set in

somehow the club have to get the fans to build the atmosphere on big nights ? Get all the lower levels safe standing
get them (the fans) on their feet jumping singing chanting scarfs flags waving, also limit the away fans to a top corner of the ground out of sight

AM I CALLING YOU ? WE NEED THE 12TH MAN
They might have turned the volume up after 90 mins when the first goal was scored, but not a peep from them when Mahrez scored, and thousands left as the clock ran down, and they didn't even threaten to score, whereas we looked like scoring from virtually every attack!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.