Luck to win the Champions League

I agree. There’s a determination and refusal to lose missing from many of the players. Only a few like Walker seem to have that extra bit about them that stops them being too soft and accepting, or too arrogant and switching off.

We could do with a few more who keep the others’ heads up, and know the shithouse side of the game to wind up opponents as well as questioning the refs more vehemently. No-one said a thing when Casemiro should have had his yellows, we should have had about five players in the ref’s face and someone else screaming to Casemiro you dirty cheating **** about two inches from his face. I want players with that attitude to go with our skill. Then we will win it.

The only proper shit house we’ve got is Ferna and he’s leaving.

Dias plays the hard nut leader card but a lot of it is for show IMO.

We still miss Vinny so much.

You make your own luck, and sometimes you stop believing when something goes against you,
they also say if you don't learn by your mistakes, you'll never will

I will say one thing we need to learn from the Madrid game the other night is the Madrid fans turned up the volume
we need that at the Etihad and in big games, MAKE SOME NOISE it was the 12th man, they blew the roof off ?
I used to laugh at the media when they said it's on a night like this, European nights Manchester city at the Etihad don't have ? Well, I understand it now Madrid fans made the difference and the city players collapsed and panic set in

somehow the club have to get the fans to build the atmosphere on big nights ? Get all the lower levels safe standing
get them (the fans) on their feet jumping singing chanting scarfs flags waving, also limit the away fans to a top corner of the ground out of sight

AM I CALLING YOU ? WE NEED THE 12TH MAN

It looks stupid to say this, but I have the feeling that we will never win it!!

It's unbelievable to think that this team that produced arguably the best ever Pl performance over the recent years, could not win the champions. Every time somthing strange happened and we loose.

Really disappointed and couldn't understand why this keeps happening.
Bad luck? :-)

The only proper shit house we’ve got is Ferna and he’s leaving.

Dias plays the hard nut leader card but a lot of it is for show IMO.

We still miss Vinny so much.
Spot-on. A fully-fit Vinny on the pitch and we would have won in Madrid. We have lost a lot of big matches, especially semi-finals since he left. The problem is these sort of players are hard to find. Could Declan Rice do it for us? I can't think of many out there.

There’s no such thing as “luck”. Luck is a fiction of the human imagination.

Luck is what the superstitious or weak minded blame for something in hindsight when they don’t understand or can’t admit that it’s their own fault or that someone else is just better.

Everything happens by the coincidence of preparation meeting opportunity, or lack of preparation or mistakes meaning you miss an opportunity.

There’s also no such things as “meant to be”.

Monaco began with poor recruitment in preparation for Pep coming and poor defending on the night.
Liverpool came during a period where we fucking shat ourselves every time we went to Anfield because of a weak mentality.
Spurs away was down to leaving out Kompany and deBruyne in the away leg.
Lyon was down to playing 5-2-3 and being swamped in midfield.
Chelsea was down to a collective weak mentality.
Last night was down to not playing out the end of the game smartly enough.

In all of those games we missed a lot of chances as well. And that’s been a hindrance to us even when we had a record breaking strikeforce.

Actually and strangely there is such a thing as luck though it is a subjective term.

Analytical companies all use the word when they stress that football is pretty much a uniquely low scoring game and therefore outside factors play a disproportionately large part in the result.

Ultimately performance is a much better predictor of future success than past results. They often talk about stripping as much “luck” out of the algorithms as possible by using underlying statistics rather than simply goals for and against.

Luck could perhaps be described as something outside of a team’s control, something that statistically would normally go for you but didn’t and vice versa. These things do not even themselves out as people often like to think, if they did it would be remarkable. Off the top of my head when Grealish’s shot was cleared off the line and hit Foden that would normally go in.

When it comes to “meant to be” that is human nature and has zero significance in any outcome.

Last edited:
The whole competition is 90% luck. Chelsea were awful when they won it the first time but arguably deserved to win it on a couple of occasions before that.

A Real Madrid side that in my opinion was only the second best team in their country during that period won it three times in a row.

Cup competitions aren’t won by the best team. Look at the vermin’s passage to the final. There’s a lot of luck involved in the draw but also in terms of the actual games themselves. If Foden or Mahrez had scored their chances when we were 2-0 up last week or Grealish had scored when we were 1-0 up this week we wouldn’t be sat here analysing this.

It’s football. These things happen. I do think that we need to be more ruthless in front of goal overall and I think that’s our main weakness. We always create more chances than the teams we play against, it’s just case of actually finishing them. I think Haaland would go a long way in helping us rectify that

Statsbomb, which is the leading analytical company and used by many clubs including Liverpool, calculated that “luck” varied by competition and I don’t know by how much.

However, on average, a game of football contains around 17% luck.

You make your own luck, and sometimes you stop believing when something goes against you,
they also say if you don't learn by your mistakes, you'll never will

I will say one thing we need to learn from the Madrid game the other night is the Madrid fans turned up the volume
we need that at the Etihad and in big games, MAKE SOME NOISE it was the 12th man, they blew the roof off ?
I used to laugh at the media when they said it's on a night like this, European nights Manchester city at the Etihad don't have ? Well, I understand it now Madrid fans made the difference and the city players collapsed and panic set in

somehow the club have to get the fans to build the atmosphere on big nights ? Get all the lower levels safe standing
get them (the fans) on their feet jumping singing chanting scarfs flags waving, also limit the away fans to a top corner of the ground out of sight

AM I CALLING YOU ? WE NEED THE 12TH MAN
The club have to stop getting the fans to do anything then an atmosphere can build naturally. Did you hear shite music being blasted out in the bernabeu before the game? There is never a moments silence before our games so we can't build anything. For some reason in this country everything has been sanitised and we have just accepted it. I'd love if the pa speakers and the cringy announcer fucked off for a season and they lowered ticket prices we'd have the best atmosphere in the country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.