Lucy Letby infant murders trial - Guilty verdict (P 13)

All this forcing people to attend basically hinges on wanting to have a feeling of almost revenge. But that does then rely on the perpetrator actually being bothered by what they've done. If they've shown no contrition to that point I wouldn't particularly want to see them smirking or looking completely disinterested when they're sentenced.

One of the mums just said not appearing is a final act of wickness, the families want to be able to front her up with their victim statements , i agree that she is a coward but she probably just cant be arsed and is not bothered in reality
I get the families wanting to see justice done etc, but for the rest of us it just makes us a baying mob.

All this forcing people to attend basically hinges on wanting to have a feeling of almost revenge. But that does then rely on the perpetrator actually being bothered by what they've done. If they've shown no contrition to that point I wouldn't particularly want to see them smirking or looking completely disinterested when they're sentenced.
Good point. I think most folk would like to see a good Jeremy Kyle style meltdown with booing crowd etc, but this woman is clearly unhinged and could react as you suggest.

I get the families wanting to see justice done etc, but for the rest of us it just makes us a baying mob.

If you ever watch any true crime documentaries and see interviews a decade on from cases like this, the families almost always say that the trial/verdict/sentencing never gives them what they were looking for out of it.

I believe the families of Letby’s victims are about to learn a very difficult lesson that seeing their child’s murderer getting sentenced is not going to give them any peace, or feel better, or help their grieving process. They won’t feel justice, the desire for revenge won’t be satiated, the awful grief they feel won’t be lightened.

I completely understand why they think it will bring them closure to read a victim impact statement to her or see her face when she finds out how long she’s going to prison, but I think the weight of past experience tells us it won’t help.

Last edited:
I also believe she should be there for the sentencing. It smacks of contempt for both the process and the victims that she isn't.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if she has actually convinced herself it's all a terrible mistake and she is innocent. She's undoubtedly an immensely fucked up individual and, the notes to herself aside (which were done 7/8 years ago), I think this is the only way she is now functioning. Everything will completely shatter if she acknowledges to herself what she has done.
That's not to say I pity her (far from it), more a way of trying to understand how she is behaving.

Indeed.

It was a key feature of her behaviour that she went and intruded on the families grief so I wouldn't be surprised if someone like that actually got some satisfaction by "drinking it" when getting sentenced.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.