Lucy Letby infant murders trial - Guilty verdict (P 13)

Depressing that if you work in the same location in the justice system for long enough you will invariably see the children of those you have previously dealt with.

I'm not sure that I agree with the analysis that we don't have the money, I just don't think we have the political will and vision to try something different. The economic cost of trying (and mostly failing) to fix things when they break is often multiples of the cost of stopping it breaking in the first place. The problem is that upfront investment to stop something that 'might' become fucked up is a much harder 'sell' than spending money to fix something that is clearly fucked up. One of many cognitive biases we have.

Back to Letby but on the subject of cognitive biases I read something that said our traditional views of gender norms (women = nurturing etc) make it easier for a female serial killer to go undetected for longer. Add in our perception of nurses as caring and that compounds the problem further which along with opportunity that the role provides is why a hugely disproportionate number of female serial killers are nurses.

Oh I have no doubt of that. Where I grew up it was the same families always causing the most problems, generation after generation.

I've no idea how you solve it. I'm in my sixties and this subject has been discussed since I was a kid but things just seem to get steadily worse every year.

Absolutely, the brain just can't comprehend it happening.

“Hugely”?

Might be wrong but I think so. I'll have to see if I can find it but I think it said something mad like 40% of women serial killers were nurses. Now I'm imagining that we're not talking a huge sample size here but I think the point was they can get away with it for longer because it's the exact opposite of what we expect and, in the overwhelming majority of cases, what we experience from people in these roles.

Might be wrong but I think so. I'll have to see if I can find it but I think it said something mad like 40% of women serial killers were nurses. Now I'm imagining that we're not talking a huge sample size here but I think the point was they can get away with it for longer because it's the exact opposite of what we expect and, in the overwhelming majority of cases, what we experience from people in these roles.

Depends on what angle you think about it from.

It makes perfect sense that women with murderous intent would pursue those professions. They have access to easy victims.

Just like a nonce becoming a priest/vicar or scout leader.

Last edited:
I take it you have then? Honest question, if an offender doesn't want to go in a cell, what do you do then? Say OK it's your right not to? Same applies to removing someone surely. What's the difference?

As for your populist nonsense put down and silly hanging remark, I know it grieves some people who feel their opinion should override that of others and that the will of the masses should not be taken into account but that's how democracy should work im afraid.
The will of the people isn't always the right policy.
I don't want to come across as arrogant but most people have a great difficulty in making decisions that affect their own personal lives, budgets and homes, never mind decisions that ultimately affect the fate and progress of the nation.
Democracy is where you elect leaders that you consider competent to run the affairs of the country. Those leaders , if they have anything about them, will bring to bear a competency, morality and wisdom to the decisions that are made by the government on behalf of the people in line with a vision they have for the country and it's people.. They should not necessarily follow the whims of the populace in every decision they make regardless. Otherwise, you may as well have government by referendum.
We've already had a taste of that and we will continue to pay the consequences of that for decades.

I remember when they arrested Colin stagg, the media printed loads of pictures of him with captions like 'weirdo' and 'sinister images of him on night out'. They were just normal pictures of him in fancy dress enjoying himself. Said at the time to my mate, look at the state of these headlines, can you imagine if he's innocent. Low and behold...
Yeah, and also Christopher Jefferies in the Joanna Yeates murder, the internet (including bluemoon) was packed with experts saying you could tell he was guilty just by looking at him.

I remember when they arrested Colin stagg, the media printed loads of pictures of him with captions like 'weirdo' and 'sinister images of him on night out'. They were just normal pictures of him in fancy dress enjoying himself. Said at the time to my mate, look at the state of these headlines, can you imagine if he's innocent. Low and behold...
Was he on a Stagg Do?

A picture speaks a thousands words but which ones?

The will of the people isn't always the right policy.
I don't want to come across as arrogant but most people have a great difficulty in making decisions that affect their own personal lives, budgets and homes, never mind decisions that ultimately affect the fate and progress of the nation.
Democracy is where you elect leaders that you consider competent to run the affairs of the country. Those leaders , if they have anything about them, will bring to bear a competency, morality and wisdom to the decisions that are made by the government on behalf of the people in line with a vision they have for the country and it's people.. They should not necessarily follow the whims of the populace in every decision they make regardless. Otherwise, you may as well have government by referendum.
We've already had a taste of that and we will continue to pay the consequences of that for decades.
Good response, thanks. I agree with much of what you have said.

Last edited:
Yeah, and also Christopher Jefferies in the Joanna Yeates murder, the internet (including bluemoon) was packed with experts saying you could tell he was guilty just by looking at him.
Yes exactly what I was thinking, that was disgusting.

I would be genuinely frightened of discovering a body or being the last person to have seen a victim especially if the British media got wind of it.

Yes exactly what I was thinking, that was disgusting.

I would be genuinely frightened of discovering a body or being the last person to have seen a victim especially if the British media got wind of it.
Well that poor bloke was presumed guilty mainly because he'd not had a haircut for a couple of months so I guess you'll be OK as long as you get a short back n sides

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.