Luis Suarez Charged [Merged]

Re: Suarez Charged by FA RE: Racism

mike channon´s windmill said:
smudgedj said:
Calling someone a 'Negrito' is offensive in South America....it can earn you a jail sentence in some South American countries if the person on the receiving end complains. It doesn't translate as 'little black man' it translates as 'little ******'

It´s probably different in Uruguay/Argentina where there is a much lower or almost non existent black population. It´s the same here in Spain where only recently black people have started to become more integrated into society. It simply doesn't have the same pejorative nuance here although I think there is still a latent racist attitude amongst many in Spain which probably goes back to Franco and beyond.
Having said that for Suarez to say things like that in England he must be either incredibly thick , totally insensitive or worse

I considered that before posting and asked a Uruguayan her opinion (or my girlfriend did), as I thought it would be a form of 'endearment' between people, as it's not unusual for people to be called names over here. But, shockingly as it seems, it is derogatory.

Re: Luis Suarez Charged

SWP's back said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
SWP's back said:
I thought it was in the public domain that he HAD called Evra "negrito" several times. He claims it is not racist but the FA think differently.

Is it racist if he doesnt see the term as racist. I mean it is but if its okay where he comes from how is he supposed to know

It's in the rules and ignorance is no defence in the law mate.

If my bird gets her tits out on the beach in the middle east, she can't say "well it's fine in Ibiza!"

And @hellothere, we can say he said something, unless you deem Evra to have fabricated the whole story. Something I don't think happened. Look at the way he reacted on the pitch at several points. He was furious.

There are no such thing as bad words, just bad context. If he said it in an insulting and derisory manner, then yes, it is racist. However, if he said it as an endearing term with no ill will towards Evra, then it cannot be considered racist. My best mate is Indian, and one of our mutual friends regularly calls him "paki", which again, between friends is a term of endearment (the joke being that he is not from Pakistan). It really does depend wholly on the way it was said, and the context in which it was said.

Speaker said:
SWP's back said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Is it racist if he doesnt see the term as racist. I mean it is but if its okay where he comes from how is he supposed to know

If my bird gets her tits out on the beach in the middle east, she can't say "well it's fine in Ibiza!"

And @hellothere, we can say he said something, unless you deem Evra to have fabricated the whole story. Something I don't think happened. Look at the way he reacted on the pitch at several points. He was furious.

There are no such thing as bad words, just bad context. If he said it in an insulting and derisory manner, then yes, it is racist. However, if he said it as an endearing term with no ill will towards Evra, then it cannot be considered racist. My best mate is Indian, and one of our mutual friends regularly calls him "paki", which again, between friends is a term of endearment (the joke being that he is not from Pakistan). It really does depend wholly on the way it was said, and the context in which it was said.
As you say though that's between friends and has a hint of irony about it, taking the piss in other words. Evra says Suarez referred to him as Negrito no fewer than 10 times. That isn't banter or anything else, it's out and out racism the same way as if I went round to the corner shop and asked the owner for '10 cigs yer paki ****'. Suarez is a buck-toothed **** and he'll get what's coming to him. As SWP'sback has said, Evra was furious so he certainly didn't see it as banter or any other context, he saw it for what it is - racism.

Speaker said:
SWP's back said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

I think that is true to an extent but it is quite obvious from the TV coverage that both players were not in any way friends or being friendly towards each other.

No excuses, not ever, no matter who it is doing it, it can not be swept under the rug !

Liverpool, Blatter, Terry and Suarez can all get fucked !

Reading the RAWK thread on Suarez, they genuinely believe it was just miscommunication....down right retards imo

stonerblue said:
SamTheGuru said:
This new trend of crying racism is a bit pathetic if you ask me. It is not racism in the slightest. Emotions and frustrations are very high on a football pitch and it is simply a way venting anger or trying to wind up the other player. It is all being blown out of proportion. I am sure this kind of thing has been going on for years. If he is found guilty, 3 match ban and move on. But it is certainly not racism.

Go outside and call the first black person you see 'negrito'. Then come back and tell us what happened.

You want have time for a reply.The cops will be banging on your door in no time.

If it was a City player being accused of something like this I wonder how many of our fans would be defending him? I think there would be a large minority.

twinkletoes said:
If it was a City player being accused of something like this I wonder how many of our fans would be defending him? I think there would be a large minority.
I don't think anyone would. Granted, there are a large number of people who have the old blue tinted goggles on, (when Ben Thatcher tried to kill Mendes, the bloke I used to sit next to said it was a fair challenge, and maintained that stance from there on in, even after seeing it on tele!!), but when it comes to something like this I don't think many would defend the player, if any.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.