Luis Suarez Charged [Merged]

Pigeonho said:
twinkletoes said:
If it was a City player being accused of something like this I wonder how many of our fans would be defending him? I think there would be a large minority.
I don't think anyone would. Granted, there are a large number of people who have the old blue tinted goggles on, (when Ben Thatcher tried to kill Mendes, the bloke I used to sit next to said it was a fair challenge, and maintained that stance from there on in, even after seeing it on tele!!), but when it comes to something like this I don't think many would defend the player, if any.
I agree mate.

Pigeonho said:
twinkletoes said:
If it was a City player being accused of something like this I wonder how many of our fans would be defending him? I think there would be a large minority.
I don't think anyone would. Granted, there are a large number of people who have the old blue tinted goggles on, (when Ben Thatcher tried to kill Mendes, the bloke I used to sit next to said it was a fair challenge, and maintained that stance from there on in, even after seeing it on tele!!), but when it comes to something like this I don't think many would defend the player, if any.

There's a person on this thread supporting Suarez!

SWP's back said:
Pigeonho said:
twinkletoes said:
I agree mate.
Although there are people on here that will tell you NDJ tackle on Alonso (WC) was not a sending off even though it was an arrestable offence let alone a red and people who will happily and openly wish terrible injuries on rag players
We are the same as other fans just because we are all blues dont make us perfect

twinkletoes said:
Pigeonho said:
twinkletoes said:
I don't think anyone would. Granted, there are a large number of people who have the old blue tinted goggles on, (when Ben Thatcher tried to kill Mendes, the bloke I used to sit to said it was a fair challenge, and maintained that stance from there on in, even after seeing it on tele!!), but when it comes to something like this I don't think many would defend the player, if any.

There's a person on this thread supporting Suarez!
Ah, so there is. I had forgotten about him. Well he's obviously a bit slow.

Re: Luis Suarez Charged

Pigeonho said:
Speaker said:
SWP's back said:
It's in the rules and ignorance is no defence in the law mate.

If my bird gets her tits out on the beach in the middle east, she can't say "well it's fine in Ibiza!"

And @hellothere, we can say he said something, unless you deem Evra to have fabricated the whole story. Something I don't think happened. Look at the way he reacted on the pitch at several points. He was furious.

There are no such thing as bad words, just bad context. If he said it in an insulting and derisory manner, then yes, it is racist. However, if he said it as an endearing term with no ill will towards Evra, then it cannot be considered racist. My best mate is Indian, and one of our mutual friends regularly calls him "paki", which again, between friends is a term of endearment (the joke being that he is not from Pakistan). It really does depend wholly on the way it was said, and the context in which it was said.
As you say though that's between friends and has a hint of irony about it, taking the piss in other words. Evra says Suarez referred to him as Negrito no fewer than 10 times. That isn't banter or anything else, it's out and out racism the same way as if I went round to the corner shop and asked the owner for '10 cigs yer paki ****'. Suarez is a buck-toothed **** and he'll get what's coming to him. As SWP'sback has said, Evra was furious so he certainly didn't see it as banter or any other context, he saw it for what it is - racism.

I do agree that in this case Suarez was definitely doing it to provoke Evra, otherwise he would have stopped after seeing Evra getting so pissed off. I was more just arguing the point that a word in itself cannot be bad as it has no will. It's the same as calling a gun evil. The gun isn't evil, but the person who pulls the trigger is.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
SWP's back said:
Pigeonho said:
I agree mate.
Although there are people on here that will tell you NDJ tackle on Alonso (WC) was not a sending off even though it was an arrestable offence let alone a red and people who will happily and openly wish terrible injuries on rag players
We are the same as other fans just because we are all blues dont make us perfect
It is indeed a rare quality I possess.

Re: Luis Suarez Charged

twinkletoes said:
Speaker said:
SWP's back said:
It's in the rules and ignorance is no defence in the law mate.

If my bird gets her tits out on the beach in the middle east, she can't say "well it's fine in Ibiza!"

And @hellothere, we can say he said something, unless you deem Evra to have fabricated the whole story. Something I don't think happened. Look at the way he reacted on the pitch at several points. He was furious.

There are no such thing as bad words, just bad context. If he said it in an insulting and derisory manner, then yes, it is racist. However, if he said it as an endearing term with no ill will towards Evra, then it cannot be considered racist. My best mate is Indian, and one of our mutual friends regularly calls him "paki", which again, between friends is a term of endearment (the joke being that he is not from Pakistan). It really does depend wholly on the way it was said, and the context in which it was said.

I think that is true to an extent but it is quite obvious from the TV coverage that both players were not in any way friends or being friendly towards each other.

Exactly. It's not as if Suarez was inviting him out for a pint later so the view amongst many on RAWK that it can be a term of endearment is irrelevant in this instance.

If Suarez's defence is that he didn't realise the term was offensive then he's screwed, and faces a lengthy ban. Bearing in mind the context that he and Evra had been having a running battle all game, it seems highly unlikely that this was said in a light hearted way as he claims. Besides, ignorance of the fact that a word is offensive is no defence against the charge (although the fa may take this into account when deciding the length of his ban). This is an opportunity to stamp this sort of thing out of our sport and it's an opportunity the fa would be ill advised to miss. I'd like to see Suarez (and Terry) get the sort of ban that will act as a deterent, and as a signal to any youngsters that this type of thing is unacceptable.

hgblue said:
If Suarez's defence is that he didn't realise the term was offensive then he's screwed, and faces a lengthy ban. Bearing in mind the context that he and Evra had been having a running battle all game, it seems highly unlikely that this was said in a light hearted way as he claims. Besides, ignorance of the fact that a word is offensive is no defence against the charge (although the fa may take this into account when deciding the length of his ban). This is an opportunity to stamp this sort of thing out of our sport and it's an opportunity the fa would be ill advised to miss. I'd like to see Suarez (and Terry) get the sort of ban that will act as a deterent, and as a signal to any youngsters that this type of thing is unacceptable.
I just want to know when the hearing is.

SWP's back said:
hgblue said:
I just want to know when the hearing is.

I have faith that Mr Bernstein will do the right thing ;).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.