Luis Suarez

But also with the interpretation of the rules weighed against forwards and defenders able to perform tackles that would provoke a red card nowadays without anyone raising an eyebrow. He wouldn't get to do half the amazing things he does because he'd be quite legally tackled harder than he ever has been in his life.

Messi would be a great, great player in any era. But so would Pele and Maradona.
All 3 are great, but I think Messi and Pele are both Superior to Maradona.

All 3 are great, but I think Messi and Pele are both Superior to Maradona.
I agree.

It's a hard call to make when comparing across the decades.

I grew up (and Pele played) when the tackle from behind was legal. It's hard for people whose experience of football is the premier era to appreciate how much more physical football was back in the day. The difference between the early nineties and now is not too shabby.

My favourite player was always Franny Lee. Small, skilful but as hard as nails. He'd have a field day against modern defences.

Happy Xmas.

The modern game is based around being athletic, in todays game Maradona would be king, he had great strength when on the ball and the tackling was a lot more physical than its allowed to be today, oppersition could still not get it off him, great shame he was a coke sniffing, cheating tw#t

My favourite player was always Franny Lee. Small, skilful but as hard as nails. He'd have a field day against modern defences.
Only if he embraced the discipline required of a modern footballer. His physical condition for the latter part of his career as a player, in the context of being a professional athlete, was pretty disgraceful.

I have seen nothing but a transformed player at Barca this season. Keeping his head down and working hard.

I'd have given him one misdemeanour but the racism and two seperate biting incidents is too far. Many would surely struggle to get behind him in a City shirt? I'd sooner have welcomed David Beckham.

Only if he embraced the discipline required of a modern footballer. His physical condition for the latter part of his career as a player, in the context of being a professional athlete, was pretty disgraceful.

Yes. No doubt at all that footballers have had to shape up as athletes. But still a strong player who rarely got injured. Probably fitter than Bony is and way better at winning penalties. And I'd swap Yaya as is for King Colin. Wouldn't mind Watson, Donachie, Buzzer and Corrigan either. I would add Doyle to the list but I doubt he'd get through a game without two yellows or a red.

Especially against Utd. :)

Yes. No doubt at all that footballers have had to shape up as athletes. But still a strong player who rarely got injured. Probably fitter than Bony is and way better at winning penalties. And I'd swap Yaya as is for King Colin. Wouldn't mind Watson, Donachie, Buzzer and Corrigan either. I would add Doyle to the list but I doubt he'd get through a game without two yellows or a red.

Especially against Utd. :)
Agree with you about Watson and Bell, obviously, and Buzzer, Doyle and Corrigan would be useful additions to the squad, but I'm not sure Donachie would be quick enough to be an effective full-back in the modern game.

World class player.
World class ****.
Genuine LOL
Best for me is Maradona - Messi has a far stronger Argie team than Diego and has not done much. His drug use was recreational rather than performance enhancing. Agree about the 86 world cup - some fabulous players and games

On Suarez we were lucky Arse did not sign him - he would have won them things

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.