Luke shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
MaineRoadBlue said:
Ray78 said:
MaineRoadBlue said:
I seem to remember another 'World Beater' of a full back, who won a full cap for his country at only 18 and bacame his club's youngest ever captain at 19.

Everyone in world football was raving about him and he was considered the perfect full back.

Set to captain his country and win a record number of caps for sure.

In short, not only at 18 had he actually played for his country, he was certain to improve beyond anything ever seen before as a full back. A new breed of footballer we were told!

Sound familiar?

Well it should, because he now sits on our bench week in week out and hasn't seen an international cap for 3 years!

It is of course Micah Richards, positive proof if any were needed for all the nuggets who want to rush out and buy Luke Shaw, that all that glitters is not gold!

Another star left back who came from their Academy was Wayne Bridge.

Exactly.

Q.E.D.

And part of our plans is producing our very own Ward-Prowse, Shaw, Barkley etc.

Ray78 said:
MaineRoadBlue said:
Ray78 said:
Another star left back who came from their Academy was Wayne Bridge.

Exactly.

Q.E.D.

and bridge came through as a striker IIRC, and their other academy left back of note was a certain monkey-faced welsh lad, who has also changed position.

aguero93:20 said:
Ray78 said:
MaineRoadBlue said:
Exactly.

Q.E.D.

and bridge came through as a striker IIRC, and their other academy left back of note was a certain monkey-faced welsh lad, who has also changed position.

Yup and Bale's early Spurs career wasn't too clever either.

Ray78 said:
Ray78 said:

Thing is he could be fantastic or he may go the way of Bridge and form drop right off.
Is it better that we don't sign any younger players with potential then, in case they don't turn out good enough for our first team. One of the biggest problems we have with buying players is we buy them high and then keep hold of them until we sell them low. Chelsea do make mistakes, but they are also brave enough to sign the players to see if they fit the team. Veron, Mutu, SWP and Torres were all expensive mistakes, and Shevchenko was the owners indulgence but for all their other buys since Abramovich bought the club, they have usually sold well.

We have made mistakes in trying to buy top priced players in every window, sometimes we may have been better buying a couple of promising players for 7-8 million. Shaw would cost more but he could prove to be a good investment and be first choice left back for ten years, or fill the position for 5 years and then we may be able to sell him for Bale type of money, who knows what the future will be for him, but if we are only going to buy the players at their top value then we'll be spending money that could be spent elsewhere.

I suppose it all depends if your glass is half full or half empty ?

Jimfv1 said:
Ray78 said:

Thing is he could be fantastic or he may go the way of Bridge and form drop right off.
Is it better that we don't sign any younger players with potential then, in case they don't turn out good enough for our first team. One of the biggest problems we have with buying players is we buy them high and then keep hold of them until we sell them low. Chelsea do make mistakes, but they are also brave enough to sign the players to see if they fit the team. Veron, Mutu, SWP and Torres were all expensive mistakes, and Shevchenko was the owners indulgence but for all their other buys since Abramovich bought the club, they have usually sold well.

We have made mistakes in trying to buy top priced players in every window, sometimes we may have been better buying a couple of promising players for 7-8 million. Shaw would cost more but he could prove to be a good investment and be first choice left back for ten years, or fill the position for 5 years and then we may be able to sell him for Bale type of money, who knows what the future will be for him, but if we are only going to buy the players at their top value then we'll be spending money that could be spent elsewhere.

I suppose it all depends if your glass is half full or half empty ?

True and if you press me for an answer then I am not totally convinced we should sign him. I would see how he develops in a couple of seasons time and if Chelsea sign him before then it might not be the right career move for him, even if he is a supporter of the club or is showing some potential.

Micah probably would have been world class if he wasn't made of glass.

In our title winning season, Micah was better than Zabaleta.

alky313 said:

True he was showing signs improvement to his game and was having a good season but in the title run in Roberto Mancini trusted Zaba more IIRC. Micah has a new manager to convince he is worth keeping.

Ray78 said:
alky313 said:

True he was showing signs improvement to his game and was having a good season but in the title run in Roberto Mancini trusted Zaba more IIRC. Micah has a new manager to convince he is worth keeping.
Oh pellegrini knows Micah is worth keeping, but to win that position from Zaba is incredibly difficult. Zaba has been brilliant!

spinzer said:
Ray78 said:
alky313 said:

Oh pellegrini knows Micah is worth keeping, but to win that position from Zaba is incredibly difficult. Zaba has been brilliant!

If Micah had a football brain he would have had 50 England caps by now.

MaineRoadBlue said:
I seem to remember another 'World Beater' of a full back, who won a full cap for his country at only 18 and bacame his club's youngest ever captain at 19.

Everyone in world football was raving about him and he was considered the perfect full back.

Set to captain his country and win a record number of caps for sure.

In short, not only at 18 had he actually played for his country, he was certain to improve beyond anything ever seen before as a full back. A new breed of footballer we were told!

Sound familiar?

Well it should, because he now sits on our bench week in week out and hasn't seen an international cap for 3 years!

It is of course Micah Richards, positive proof if any were needed for all the nuggets who want to rush out and buy Luke Shaw, that all that glitters is not gold!

I personally believe in MIcah Richards and think he can turn things around. Maybe Pelligrini doesnt agree, I dont know. As for Shaw, I just dont understand the argument, why would we not want to sign the best young british talent? For me, personally, he passes the eye test. And there seem to be a lot of people who agree. i think 30 mill and other numbers being thrown about would be silly money, sure. But if we can get him for anything decent, we do and hope becomes a "world beater." And if he doesnt, moves to the bench, and wants to move on in a couple years to get more playing time... move him on. Plenty of resale value in a few years when he's just 18 right now.

Or maybe, just maybe, he does take the opportunity and we're sorted at lb for 10 years.

I would also add that signing Shaw would have no effect on Micah at all seeing as they play different positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.