Luton Town Thread - 2023/24

I was only 8 at the time I couldn’t believe it I was confident after Reeves scored in a 1 0 win at Brighton that we where safe , but I can’t hate them I only hate Man United it’s as simple as that still remember my cousins fella twatting Ricky Hill , they have done remarkable well to get back up the divisions so fair fucks

Ricky Hill was not beige……………..he was dark brown! Probably still is.

I don't like Luton, I hope they get hammered left right and center and go straight back down.
I'd love it if we set a premier league goal scoring record against them.

Having just looked at Lutons activity in the transfer market a quick glance tells me that they are taking the money and running, the stellar signing of Tahith Chong from the rags for 4.5 million is not going to cement their place in the pantheon of glory in the PL.

don't like Luton, I hope they get hammered left right and center and go straight back down
I think they'll go down, possibly with lowest points total ever.
However, I think they have been very harshly treated
Getting into financial difficulties and unable to pay the fine ending up in a 30 points reduction was way too severe.
Getting to the Premier league from where they were is incredible.
The only dislike for them from my viewpoint is that " David Pleat" match and now when I think back on it we were crap and probably deserved to get relegated.

Never had a big problem with Luton Town FC.

Used to love seeing highlights of their attractive flowing attacking football,with the likes of the incredible Paul Walsh whose energy and nimble quick feet caused defences a lot of problems in the old Top league...indeed Walsh had barely changed his style of play much when he arrived at Maine Rd,and I felt privileged to see this inside forward play the game,the way he uses to turn defenders with his back to goal was classy....Dalglish like even....brilliant player who sweated everything he had to give,in every match.

Ricky Hills skill and composure in midfield also stood out,he was,at the time almost a 'continental' style play-maker who knew how to play a ball,dribble and split defences..he stood out ,with his game based on diligent centremid play,often from deep.Ahead of his time perhaps..

Brian Horton dove tailed nicely with Hill in centre mid ,and provided hard, rugged, running and steel to a team who were obviously encouraged to go out and play with flair by manager David Pleat.

And I cannot forget David Moss,a willy,cunning wide player who often appeared to have the ball tied to his feet,such was his close control.

Jake Findlay seemed a half decent keeper,as was Andy Dibble in later years. Mark Stein worked hard up front ,turning defenders , and the whole team battles together , as a unit,at Evertons Goodison Park in the late 70s when Lutons black players received horrendous abuse from supporters quite infamous for it at the time,They won iirc,just like they did at Maine Road,again in a cauldron of hate ,with...I imagine..tons of abuse given that day too...

The fact that Pleat ran on the pitch celebrating,wanting to give the away section at the far end of the Kippax a focal point of celebration
Does not trouble me in the slightest...why wouldn't you make the most of a brilliant win on th last day of the season,at Maine rd when your fans were out numbered ..and clearly out Fought off the pitch ?

You would have to have no sense of the unbridled joy of the true nature of football,if you avoided relegation,away from home,when the odds were stacked against you...
I wasn't at the game,but I know it kicked off big time..for a while in the late 80s I lived next door but one to a Luton fan who was there that day..I invited him up to Maine rd as I knew he loved his football and a drink....he just looked at me and the colour appeared to drain from his face ,he shook his head from side to side saying No no no...I'm never going back to that ground again....he and his mates got battered,ambushed in the terraced alleyways around the ground...

I didn't like the club when they banned away fans ( I went in the home end 2 or 3 times) and brought out the plastic pitch..but they had an attractive ,distinctive playing kit,( late 70s early 80s)and no players then that I disliked ..so all in all,...no problem with The Hatters.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.