Lyon CL QF Post-Match Thread

I've tried to find some sort of reasoning behind Pep's thinking in picking a team and formation in a game of that magnitude. I've reached a conclusion and therefore can only assume that he was "resting' players for the Bayern semi and in doing so, grossly underestimated Lyon.

Absolutely unbelievable, as indeed was changing the formation to 3-5-2.

How to make sense of the formation last night?

My best shot at explaining it is as follows. Pep watched Bayern destroying Barca the previous night and was convinced that we have to use a much more defensive formation should we play Bayern to stand a chance or avoid a humiliation. But we haven't played such a formation for ages. So, let's practice it a bit against Lyon.

Pep knew that a combo of a 35 y.o. midfielder at CB and a CB who is just back from a very bad injury is not likely to fare well against Bayern or Mbappe and Neymar. So, he thought we could win the CL if we played defensively and relied on our forwards to bail us out. Thus, the implicit mesage to the team was: we are not good enough to compete right now and have to be clever. The players' confidence took a big hit already before the start of the game and they looked hesitant and confused.

Pep was realistic about our defensive weaknesses but instead of inspiring the team to give 120% he made them fearful. He was thinking more about our weaknesses and not about our strengths. He is failing in the CL not because his philosophy doesn't suit it but because he betrays his philosophy. Go for it, we have a brilliant attack and can beat any team on our day.
You would think after 4 seasons he'd have sorted our defence out or is he incapable of that? Our recruitment is a fucking joke.whoever scouted Rhodri should be sacked immediately. If the owners want us to win the thing then it's time to change again. At any of the top clubs in Europe the manager would be in deep shit after the season we had. Double figures for defeats!
Wow Pep setting us up to fail against Lyon. Unforgivable.

Not replacing Vinny has been a big problem, nobody in our team to verbally bang some heads together or lead by example, but Vinny let us down in the manner that he just upped and was gone without giving us any chance to look for his replacement . KDB is not captain material, nor is anyone else in that side. KDB needs to concentrate on his game not everyone elses.

How on earth have you come to this conclusion?

I've tried to find some sort of reasoning behind Pep's thinking in picking a team and formation in a game of that magnitude. I've reached a conclusion and therefore can only assume that he was "resting' players for the Bayern semi and in doing so, grossly underestimated Lyon.

Absolutely unbelievable, as indeed was changing the formation to 3-5-2.
The Dunney Monster said after the game that he could see why Pep had gone for 3/5 at the back, to counteract their forwards, because as soon as we went to 442, we couldn’t handle their forwards.
Is that what everyone saw?

I didn’t think it mattered how many we had in defence, if we play a high line at all times we are likely to be killed by the goals that Vardy, Aubameyang, Mané, Traore, United keep scoring against us.

I personally thought not giving Bernado,and Foden any game time was c^^^ish,i really did.

agree i dont understand not using them to, Foden, Bernado, Sterling, Jesus all closing down their defenders quickly leave KDB to pull the strings not trying to help out that slow, boring midfield from last night. When those 3 or 4 play with KDB pulling the strings even Gundogan plays ok !

I believe City have a really good young team in the making but for some reason Pep doesnt trust them in some games and goes for the old slow boring players

You would think after 4 seasons he'd have sorted our defence out or is he incapable of that? Our recruitment is a fucking joke.whoever scouted Rhodri should be sacked immediately. If the owners want us to win the thing then it's time to change again. At any of the top clubs in Europe the manager would be in deep shit after the season we had. Double figures for defeats!
Wow Pep setting us up to fail against Lyon. Unforgivable.
Pep & the powers that be should be shot over the state of our defence

How to make sense of the formation last night?

My best shot at explaining it is as follows. Pep watched Bayern destroying Barca the previous night and was convinced that we have to use a much more defensive formation should we play Bayern to stand a chance or avoid a humiliation. But we haven't played such a formation for ages. So, let's practice it a bit against Lyon.

Pep knew that a combo of a 35 y.o. midfielder at CB and a CB who is just back from a very bad injury is not likely to fare well against Bayern or Mbappe and Neymar. So, he thought we could win the CL if we played defensively and relied on our forwards to bail us out. Thus, the implicit mesage to the team was: we are not good enough to compete right now and have to be clever. The players' confidence took a big hit already before the start of the game and they looked hesitant and confused.

Pep was realistic about our defensive weaknesses but instead of inspiring the team to give 120% he made them fearful. He was thinking more about our weaknesses and not about our strengths. He is failing in the CL not because his philosophy doesn't suit it but because he betrays his philosophy. Go for it, we have a brilliant attack and can beat any team on our day.

I thought last night that this is how Pep saw it. If that is the case, then the bloke is losing it. He always used to go on about his players having big balls, how he likes his players to not to be scared. Yet shits himself on the biggest stage.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.