Lyon CL QF Post-Match Thread

I've tried to find some sort of reasoning behind Pep's thinking in picking a team and formation in a game of that magnitude. I've reached a conclusion and therefore can only assume that he was "resting' players for the Bayern semi and in doing so, grossly underestimated Lyon.

Absolutely unbelievable, as indeed was changing the formation to 3-5-2.
I could accept getting beaten by any team if you put your best team out and play the right formation. But even before a ball was kicked last night you could just sense that the team selection just wasn’t right. It has become a recurring theme in the Champions league unfortunately.

Even after sleeping (not all that well) on it, I still can't fathom out how Pep got it so wrong last night. 3 DMs (with very little pace) against the 7th placed team in Ligue 1. With Bernie and Phil kicking their heels on the bench. Completely baffling. What's wrong with going out there and imposing our game on them? Mendy (if fit) for Cancelo in defence, and a midfield of Kev, Phil, Rodri, Bernie and Riyad, with Gabby up front. Go out and have a go at them, respect them but don't fear them. But Pep seems to have a blind spot with the CL. 9 years now, since he's won it. For arguably the best coach in the world, that's a piss poor record.
Fair enough the plan is not working and so change it immediately. But, that’s not Pep’s way. He prefers to wait well into the second-half before accepting change is necessary. That is the most frustrating thing of all for me.
The writing was on the wall from around 15-minutes in and the worst thing you can say about it was that it was a ‘typical Guardiola defeat’!

You would think after 4 seasons he'd have sorted our defence out or is he incapable of that? Our recruitment is a fucking joke.whoever scouted Rhodri should be sacked immediately. If the owners want us to win the thing then it's time to change again. At any of the top clubs in Europe the manager would be in deep shit after the season we had. Double figures for defeats!
Wow Pep setting us up to fail against Lyon. Unforgivable.

Recruitment of defensive players hasn't been great. But I wouldn't blame Pep for Laporte's horrific injury, for Stones' personal issues and injuries, for the decline of Otamendi and Dinho, for Mendy's injuries and behaviour, etc. We had an excellent defence in 2018 and conceded just 4 goals in the final 14 league games in 2019. It's not like we never had a good defence under Pep. We won all domestic trophies in England over 24 months.

Pep is partly responsible for the recruitment but I doubt we could blame him for the injuries, aging and personal issues of our defenders.

Not just defence, buying Rodri, keeping hold of ageing players.

Squad needs a serious overhaul and it won't take one summer window to fix.
The defence and the midfield. Rodri was a bad buy but we've got Bernardo and Foden, and KDB. Rodri is not complete write off. He'd be OK in the right team. It's always about balance.

Can't believe City got this game so wrong. Pep had too much time to stew and over thinked it. This is what people have repeatedly said about him and I can't see what he was thinking.

Recruitment of defensive players hasn't been great. But I wouldn't blame Pep for Laporte's horrific injury, for Stones' personal issues and injuries, for the decline of Otamendi and Dinho, for Mendy's injuries and behaviour, etc. We had an excellent defence in 2018 and conceded just 4 goals in the final 14 league games in 2019. It's not like we never had a good defence under Pep. We won all domestic trophies in England over 24 months.

Pep is partly responsible for the recruitment but I doubt we could blame him for the injuries, aging and personal issues of our defenders.
But he kept plaing Fern and Ota. Some problems are external. We had bad luck with injuries. It's also impossible to get everything right in the transfer market and that's not all down to Pep. However, he failed in the most basic duty of selecting the best side for a huge fixture.

This is arrogance. I would forgive him if after 30 mins he made changes, or even came out afterwards and said he got it completely wrong but he wont do that.

The Dunney Monster said after the game that he could see why Pep had gone for 3/5 at the back, to counteract their forwards, because as soon as we went to 442, we couldn’t handle their forwards.
Is that what everyone saw?

I didn’t think it mattered how many we had in defence, if we play a high line at all times we are likely to be killed by the goals that Vardy, Aubameyang, Mané, Traore, United keep scoring against us.
I agree that ultimately the high line was the issue. He tried to mitigate their forwards by having an extra player at the back and playing with two defensive midfielders but all it achieved is stunt our attack

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.