Lyon CL QF Post-Match Thread

The Dunney Monster said after the game that he could see why Pep had gone for 3/5 at the back, to counteract their forwards, because as soon as we went to 442, we couldn’t handle their forwards.
Is that what everyone saw?

I didn’t think it mattered how many we had in defence, if we play a high line at all times we are likely to be killed by the goals that Vardy, Aubameyang, Mané, Traore, United keep scoring against us.

Playing any formation where we are not used to it and unfamiliar with who's tracking who or who's marking who for example and it's asking for trouble. Walker on the first goal and the high line as you say too.

When that team dropped I sat there for an hour and still couldn't work out the formation
3 at the back ? 2 holding?
And still when it kicked off couldn't work it out
Pep fucked up royally there
Completely over thought something that didn't need
I get needing to change formations depending on who we play but they were going to play how every team has this year sit back and counter. So why play a team and formation that we haven't done this season
He comes out and still says we are not up there with the elite. Well pep that is on you
Pep has been our best manager ever but he has to take 100 % blame on that performance players didnt know whether to stick or twist
Pep might sign an extension to his contract and we quite possibly win the league but we will not win the champions league with him in charge

Sick of reading how this was our best chance to win the “coveted” CL. In fact it is the hardest attempt ever. We would have had to have beaten the winners of the 3 main European leagues (Spanish - which we did; followed by German & probably French - assuming PSG get through to final) in almost consecutive one-off matches. No second chances in the home leg etc. The draw was not kind - not to mention VAR in the Laporte incident.

Strange set of circumstances after winning the CAS case. Not saying it’s a conspiracy but I’d like to have examined the draw when it was made & ask VAR why foul in build up to goal was ignored.
However, my point is, despite the media bullshit - we’ve had easier routes in the past. This year was definitely not our best chance.

Recruitment of defensive players hasn't been great. But I wouldn't blame Pep for Laporte's horrific injury, for Stones' personal issues and injuries, for the decline of Otamendi and Dinho, for Mendy's injuries and behaviour, etc. We had an excellent defence in 2018 and conceded just 4 goals in the final 14 league games in 2019. It's not like we never had a good defence under Pep. We won all domestic trophies in England over 24 months.

Pep is partly responsible for the recruitment but I doubt we could blame him for the injuries, aging and personal issues of our defenders.
That's fair enough but you definitely could blame him for getting beaten by the same tactics so often. All it takes is a ball in behind , a pacy attacker and boom we're done. Over and over again we see it. And the cowardice of Rhodri and Gundogan. Sideways and backwards and ripe for the ambush. You need pace and power and a bit of forward thinking. Italy is where those two should be playing.

Not just defence, buying Rodri, keeping hold of ageing players.

Squad needs a serious overhaul and it won't take one summer window to fix.

I'm not quite sure you'd still be saying that this morning had Sterling equalised and we'd gone on to win the game. I'm as peed off as you with last night as are plenty of others but come on....we ain't THAT bad.

agree i dont understand not using them to, Foden, Bernado, Sterling, Jesus all closing down their defenders quickly leave KDB to pull the strings not trying to help out that slow, boring midfield from last night. When those 3 or 4 play with KDB pulling the strings even Gundogan plays ok !

I believe City have a really good young team in the making but for some reason Pep doesnt trust them in some games and goes for the old slow boring players
I don’t understand what more Foden has to do, he should have at least come on, we missed his drive badly. Gundogan is a far better option at number 6 than at 8, better option for me than Rodri.

But he kept plaing Fern and Ota. Some problems are external. We had bad luck with injuries. It's also impossible to get everything right in the transfer market and that's not all down to Pep. However, he failed in the most basic duty of selecting the best side for a huge fixture.

This is arrogance. I would forgive him if after 30 mins he made changes, or even came out afterwards and said he got it completely wrong but he wont do that.

Yes, Pep's best move now would be to take responsibility for the tactics. This would help him also with the players and the fans. Tactics was bad enough but the changes weren't fast and radical enough. Why keep both Foden and Bernardo on the bench when we don't look particularly energetic on the pitch? Why wait 80 minutes to sub one from Rodri and Gundy? Not only tactics was bad, but subs were bad too. We used too little Foden and Bernardo this season and relied too much on Gundy and Dave. Pep seems to value experience a bit too much, at the expense of energy and pace. A recurrent problem throughout the season.

I don’t understand what more Foden has to do, he should have at least come on, we missed his drive badly. Gundogan is a far better option at number 6 than at 8, better option for me than Rodri.
first thing Foden does when receiving the ball is to go forward with speed as does Bernie (mostly). Yesterday mostly our players went sideways . Jesus was having to come deep to get the ball than try to get forward !. Our front 3 of Foden, Sterling and Jesus having the freedom to play along the line popping up on the left or right or central causes defences all sorts of problems and gives KDB plenty of choice. We had nothing going forward last night only Jesus and Sterling against a back 5 .....why Pep ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.