Lyon CL QF Post-Match Thread

Can't really fathom the Mahrez hate really, for me he has to be a nailed on starter on the right side if Pep is planning to stick with the Inverted wingers formation. He should've started the Lyon game as justified by the key pass he made to find Raheem out for the KDB goal.
Advanced stats back me up when I say he is our best creative outlet not named Kevin De Bruyne. I wouldn't mind Foden playing on that side over him though but I'd much rather he plays in the midfield three. I'm not very keen on Bernardo as well and we don't really know what Torres is going to bring to the side so can't say anything.
Mahrez is poor. A one trick pony. Always cuts inside, so predictable. No pace and selfish to boot. Doesn't track back and is poor defensively. Bernardo, foden are so much better and energetic

I think defenders should stay back and defend, and not be auxillary attackers. Even Ederson spends most of his time on the 18 yard line, and this has lead to many cheap goals being conceded.

This exactly. How many of our losses this year came from breakaways at or near the halfway line? One or two of the defenders should stay "back" in a relative sense, as any team sets when taking a corner kick, to defend against the counterattack.

We lost that game at 7pm Saturday when he named his stupid line up including a man who stated he wants to leave.
Crazy.
I have noticed a couple of your posts and you really sound like an “ expert” but you have it very wrong actually . We lost on Saturday because we did not take chances when they arrived. You can slag Pep off all you like but listen pal there is not a better coach in the world - the champs league is a cup, single game tourno - anything can happen injuries, VAR , poor reffing , mistakes to name just a few- and it did happen, so jog on and try to keep learning as that is what “ experts “ need to do.you have a lot to learn

I have noticed a couple of your posts and you really sound like an “ expert” but you have it very wrong actually . We lost on Saturday because we did not take chances when they arrived. You can slag Pep off all you like but listen pal there is not a better coach in the world - the champs league is a cup, single game tourno - anything can happen injuries, VAR , poor reffing , mistakes to name just a few- and it did happen, so jog on and try to keep learning as that is what “ experts “ need to do.you have a lot to learn

It's a forum I'm entitled to my opinion.
You have a lot to learn to.

I don't claim to be expect but you certainly aint if you think Pep was not the main culprit on Saturday. This is not new as he has made numerous errors in the CL for years. I mention this every year and fully expect to do so next season as well. Pep needs to get back to what he does best and destroy mediocre opposition as in the middle two seasons in which we excelled domestically.

Yes you have to blame the manager. I could see after the first 15mins that the formation was not working. The question is why didn't Pep see that the system wasn't working, and make some alterations to the formation. With a bit of tinkering he could have made the team perform a lot better. Pep could have moved Cancelo to left back, then bring Walker back to right back. This would have given us a proper back 4. Then just leave either Rodri or Ferdy as the holding midfielder, with the other one playing just behind the front 3.

I would like to know if the players learn how to shoot, and if they do why are so many shots not on target. I have just looked at the stats for the game. Lyon had only 7 shots but 6 of them were on target. While we had 18 shots of which only 7 were on target. This has been our problem from the start of the season, to many shots have ben way off target. In the game against Lyon if we had more shots on target I am sure we would have scored enough goals to have least forced the game into extra time. then with the right subs gone on to win the game.

I always find these “they only had a few chances while we had many” statistics misleading. The problem is that teams against us have quality chances where converting is highly likely. We on the other hand have chances against packed defenses where we have limited time. Opponents tend to have chances where they are on the break often one on one with our defenders or where there is space to shoot. Pep loves that line of argument whenever we lose.

I always find these “they only had a few chances while we had many” statistics misleading. The problem is that teams against us have quality chances where converting is highly likely. We on the other hand have chances against packed defenses where we have limited time. Opponents tend to have chances where they are on the break often one on one with our defenders or where there is space to shoot. Pep loves that line of argument whenever we lose.

Not 100% true ,loo at the chance Jesus fluffed from a good cross he could not hit the ball in second half someone like Ibra or Lewandowski would have buried that one.
Or the one Sterling missed at open net.

These chances are usually finished against us, and these are clear chances. We dont do well enough imo with these kind of chances.

Good team overscore their xG stats we just about deliver on them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.