Maine Rd terrace characters

I've just read all 18 pages and I can't believe the number of people mentioned who I know or have had contact with..

Les Tate from Langley... my brother in law was a big mate of his... Tiny Ted Davies who used to manage Mercer Celtic... I played for Mercer Celtic and knew Ted well... Bulldog... growing up in Hulme I used to go drinking with Bulldog in The Shakespeare... Johny Muir... I think he smacked me one night in Cheetham Hill!... Jocky... regularly have a chat with him before the match... And there's probably a few more that I've forgot.

Ah, the memories.

Just spotted this , i know its a while back but you are getting Les Tate mixed up with Les Cracknell who was from Langley ....now he did go looking for trouble ,made the NOTW paper for a report about stabbing Chelsea Fans for a £1 a pop 71/72
I'm a Middleton lad originally,and I remember talking about Les Cracknells exploits in the NOTW ,in school on the following Monday morning with the other City lads there.

I used to stand near Pete the Badge in the mid 80's to the Early 90's. There was also some old codger stood near us from Burnley (always wore a brown leather jacket and cords). He claimed to be a Sunday league Ref but didn't sem to have a clue about the LotG. He was ALWAYS slagging our players off. Everything was TERRIBLE, which in most cases was spot on but never once uttered any words of encouragement, even when we were playing well. I remember him giving David White absolute dogs abuse one game when he was actually doing well. Pretty sure Whitey heard him a couple of times.

Yeah remember him well. Ted was a giant of a man. Also Tony Valenti from Middleton somewhere. I used to play for Swinton Labour Club and we drew Middleton Labour Club in the quarter final of Lancashire Labour Club competition. I asked him how to get to their ground, he said there's no point you turning up cos you wont win anyway.
Also remember a cup replay away to Leicester late 60's when we went on a coach and one lad on there called Sid, who was a real character, used to like a ruck.
Tony Valente passed away recently, funeral this Thursday at St Mary's Langley 10am .....another nutcase blue gone RIP big man

Les Tate used to live in Gorton? sister was Barbara he was over 6ft thought he lived on Buckley Rd unless they moved from or too Langley at one stage, quite bloke really never went looking for trouble it found him and he dealt with it.

Tony Valente passed away recently, funeral this Thursday at St Mary's Langley 10am .....another nutcase blue gone RIP big man
TVs is a langley legend a great mate of mine funeral this thursday would be great if some of the old kippax boys could attend 10am church 11am boarshaw crem sid the lad you mentiond would be sid parker rip

As a kid I always heard of les tate,Ted Davies and les cracknell, I vaguely remember after a derby on lloyd st outside the old souvenir shop going back to town, city and utd were at it,and a lot of these names were being offered out by utd s top names ,does anyone remember the names of utds top boys in the late 60s early 70s

As a kid I always heard of les tate,Ted Davies and les cracknell, I vaguely remember after a derby on lloyd st outside the old souvenir shop going back to town, city and utd were at it,and a lot of these names were being offered out by utd s top names ,does anyone remember the names of utds top boys in the late 60s early 70s
No names but I guarantee that they weren't up for it unless they had numerical advantage. Nothing ever changes with them rag bully cowards

I used to stand near Pete the Badge in the mid 80's to the Early 90's. There was also some old codger stood near us from Burnley (always wore a brown leather jacket and cords). He claimed to be a Sunday league Ref but didn't sem to have a clue about the LotG. He was ALWAYS slagging our players off. Everything was TERRIBLE, which in most cases was spot on but never once uttered any words of encouragement, even when we were playing well. I remember him giving David White absolute dogs abuse one game when he was actually doing well. Pretty sure Whitey heard him a couple of times.
I would guess the "old codger from Burnley" doesn't attend games these days......he sounds like he posts on the match day thread ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.