Maine Road or Etihad

I beg to differ.i would venture,off the top of my head,from speaking to older blues,and reading accounts down the years.,and personal experience
No atmosphere at the etihad has got close to
1. Bells comeback Dec 1977.(4nil) Bell on as sub at half time.
2.Everton fa cup quarter final replay March 1981.(3-1)
3.Utd 5-1 September 1989.
Id imagine the 84k at MR v stoke 1934 made a fair amount of noise too.;)

I went to a recent home match v utd and was disappointed at the flat atmosphere.getting beat didnt help,but even queuing up to get in,there was no buzz.at all.
This is only my opinion,others may not agree.
I’d say Liverpool in 18 (CL) and 19 (PL) were both just as good as anything I experienced at Maine Road.

The disallowed goal against Spurs in the CL in 19 was the loudest roar I’ve ever heard at a game, even more than 93:20.

Leicester in 19 too.

i have mixed views had great days at both, the first 5-1, blackpool at home in div 2 3-0, then of course the goat showing neville his arse, ali bernabias debut,
but for me i miss the pre match buzz at maine rd, pissed up in the bee hive, city chippy and then onto the kippaxx or north stand
just my opinion

Alas the Kingsway pub is no more, it's been demolished and now houses are being built on the land.
In my youth it was a Berni Inn before a multi-room pub
It was never much of a pub although we used to be in there until half an hour before kick off with a mad drive to Rusholme and a quick dash to the ground. Then a slower drive to the Osborne House and a few pints of decent beer proved to be an obvious alternative. We even got to see the kick off at times.
A rushed pint in the top bar of the Kippax at half time and at a similarly placed bar on EL3. Same for you?

When I was 12 and sneaking into the Kippax to stands at the front, then it was Maine Road. Now I'm 56 and need a seat it's the Etihad....

There’s a lack of decent boozers close to the Etihad. Well over a dozen have closed down since we moved there, which is bizarre!

Town isn’t close enough to the ground to watch the entirety of the early game and get to the Etihad in time for the queues.

More boozers close to the Etihad would be my #1 thing to look at improving the match day experience! Even before any North Stand expansion.

There’s a lack of decent boozers close to the Etihad. Well over a dozen have closed down since we moved there, which is bizarre!

Town isn’t close enough to the ground to watch the entirety of the early game and get to the Etihad in time for the queues.

More boozers close to the Etihad would be my #1 thing to look at improving the match day experience! Even before any North Stand expansion.
I usually mooch around town boozing then cab to ground for last pint or 2 in running track bar before strolling into the search teams.

I’d say Liverpool in 18 (CL) and 19 (PL) were both just as good as anything I experienced at Maine Road.

The disallowed goal against Spurs in the CL in 19 was the loudest roar I’ve ever heard at a game, even more than 93:20.

Leicester in 19 too.

I would chuck in the first half against United in 2017/2018 when we were 2-0 up. Second half best not to mention.

I usually mooch around town boozing then cab to ground for last pint or 2 in running track bar before strolling into the search teams.
There are occasions where I have made it in time, but there’ve been a good half a dozen times we’ve missed the start of the game because we either couldn’t get a taxi, the taxi we did get got stuck in traffic, and one time the taxi got stuck behind a broken down Met (we missed the first 15 minutes of the game on that occasion, we got out and ran it).

So we leave Town earlier now, it’s not worth the risk.

A load of boozers close to the ground, so we could get in and around the ground early doors and not have to worry about being late, would be much better. As things are, there are too few pubs and they’re all rammed!

I loved Maine Road, I first went in the early 60s, with my brothers, Dad, Uncle, and cousin, we went in the Score board end, I know this as we would crowed below it if it rained, being small at the time, we would get in below the legs. I spent the game playing on the grass banking at the back, as it was difficult to see the game, and not having the interest at that young age, but my memory was this huge cavernous, black and white stadium in front of me, Kippax to the left the Main Stand to the right and the Platt lane to the front, it was huge, a memory I have today. Due to work, my Dad could no longer take us so me and my brother would get the 53 bus, or match bus from Bellevue, we then ventured into the Platt lane stand where we stayed until the early 70s, we liked sitting in the corner next to the Main stand, at the back, overlooking the rest of the Platt lane stand, I explored every part of this stand, before entering the Kippax. Apart from one season in the North stand, 71/72, I spent my teenage years, and the rest of my time on the Kippax.
Not like so many on hear, I don't remember my first game, in fact I don't remember most of the games in the past, I remember the Players, or most of them, and obviously memories of the team parading trophies around the pitch, the CWC SF, Colin Bells comeback game, and a number of other good times,
But one of my greatest memories is of Maine Road, that Black and White picture I have engrained in my mind, my hart will always be at Main Road, a place I always remember, and love, but we had to move on, and today we have a great stadium, which we can all be proud of, as before my Hart is at Main Road, but my Head is at the Etihad.

Great post. The very first ground I went to was Boundary Park in 1958 as a very young lad. Later that season my Dad took me to Maine Road and could not believe the difference in size. At that time Oldham could get more than 40k in their ground so Maine Road with 3 sides terraced was near as dammit twice the size. To my young eyes it was huge. As the years went on I had some great times there, too many to list. I also had some shit times as well, again too many to list !
As we all know, the famous old stadium ended up as a patched up relic of better days and I now fondly remember it for when it was at its best, with a standing Kippax generating such a great atmosphere. Like you, my heart is at Maine Road, but I don't regret the move to the Etihad. It's a world class stadium and we've had some great times there also. There will be many more to come when this Covid nightmare is over.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.