Maine Road or Etihad

i agree. The lack of pubs around the ground is rubbish. I don’t know what people do around there at the weekend.there’s f all there, other then some shops, it’s such a dull area.

we could do with some wealthy city fans buying some land and opening up some proper pubs.
if you took that business proposal onto dragons den, how do you think you'd get on ?

There are occasions where I have made it in time, but there’ve been a good half a dozen times we’ve missed the start of the game because we either couldn’t get a taxi, the taxi we did get got stuck in traffic, and one time the taxi got stuck behind a broken down Met (we missed the first 15 minutes of the game on that occasion, we got out and ran it).

So we leave Town earlier now, it’s not worth the risk.

A load of boozers close to the ground, so we could get in and around the ground early doors and not have to worry about being late, would be much better. As things are, there are too few pubs and they’re all rammed!

Ancoats, around Blossom Street, seems to be expanding with drinking holes (note: not boozers). There’s Second City showing sport and Cask on the canal is probably the closest, but still a 15minute stomp to the ground. Hopefully with the new concert venue there’ll be even more. Sadly, the days of a boozer on every corner are never to return. If it wasn’t for them them pesky health-conscious kids ...

Yeah the 2-1 win over Liverpool was a cracking atmosphere. It had the drama of a ‘Geoff Hurst’ type goal by David White (which took an age before it was given), the anxiety of Liverpool battering us for the last 20 minutes as Pacman and Mike Marsh dominated proceedings, and our record signing (Keith Curles) home debut.
Yep.pac man scored his ever goal for bindippers.playing in the no.9 shirt.up front.young lad,obviously turned into a midfielder later years
At Maine Rd.Manchester. a headed goal by stevie m
Which was all they could do.City were up for it that Tues night.the team. The fans...The Kippax was Loud and Proud .A Brilliant brilliant night on The Terrace..beating Liverpool.scouse bastards.

My first thirty five years were at Maine Road therefore in 2038 (and age 79) I'll have spent equal time at each stadium. I don't think you can ever forget your first match. My memories of Maine Road were the hotdog vans, the tiny souvenir shop and Tony Coleman running towards me as I stood above a tunnel in the corner of the scoreboard end. The 7-0 win against Burnley helped too. The Kippax in full flow was a sight to behold, so many matches to remember. The King's comeback, AC Milan getting thrashed, Everton cup tie, Schalke and Charlton 5-1's and another 5-1 that escapes me right now.
My son had his first match in the North Stand aged 3, later sitting in the pathetic Swales stand for a season then the Kippax when seating put in. He did however get to stand on the Kippax before standing removed, how he loved it. My grandson however has only known the Etihad (as at 3 years old he had no choice). His first match aged 9 months? 7-0 v. Rotherham.
However, time moves on and the Etihad is now our home and how well we're doing. To sum up, I cannot choose between the two

My first thirty five years were at Maine Road therefore in 2038 (and age 79) I'll have spent equal time at each stadium. I don't think you can ever forget your first match. My memories of Maine Road were the hotdog vans, the tiny souvenir shop and Tony Coleman running towards me as I stood above a tunnel in the corner of the scoreboard end. The 7-0 win against Burnley helped too. The Kippax in full flow was a sight to behold, so many matches to remember. The King's comeback, AC Milan getting thrashed, Everton cup tie, Schalke and Charlton 5-1's and another 5-1 that escapes me right now.
My son had his first match in the North Stand aged 3, later sitting in the pathetic Swales stand for a season then the Kippax when seating put in. He did however get to stand on the Kippax before standing removed, how he loved it. My grandson however has only known the Etihad (as at 3 years old he had no choice). His first match aged 9 months? 7-0 v. Rotherham.
However, time moves on and the Etihad is now our home and how well we're doing. To sum up, I cannot choose between the two
That is a story with great memories , Remember the Burnley & Schalke & Milan games well.But nothing will ever beat The Kings comeback v Newcastle

Prematch is very different.

We regularly, during the 90s, entered the Kippax, 1:30/1:45, to take our position up on crazy corner and already the singing would have started between ourselves, congregated above the white tunnel adjacent to the away fans section on the Kippax and the away fans. That side of the gane has definitely gone, now its turn up 5 mins before,
Cheesy music played at ear splitting volume all the way to kick off is a personal bugbear. Let the rival fans at it 15 mins from kick off

Think we missed a trick prior to the redevelopment of Maine Rd. Large numbers of boys had started frequenting the Platt Lane in the late eighties. Had the Kippax been developed first and the Platt Lane been made pay on the day unreserved seating it would become a formidable end. Instead the club concerned about attacks on visiting fans made it away fans only, creating a vastly too large away end. Either it was virtually empty for the visit of Bournemouth or rocking for the visit of Leeds, either way spoiling the home atmosphere. The club and GMP seemed to conspire to kill Maine Roads atmosphere .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.