Maine Road or Etihad

1970 my first game. Hooked from that moment. Favourite games, the Kings comeback, Boro second leg 1976 semi final and Everton replay and semi final equal third, FA Cup 1981. You can try to describe to the younger generation the sheer exhilaration of the moments after a goal was scored on terraces and the thrill of getting home from an away game without a battle scar. It’s wasted breath. I once described to my Nephew seeing my first hand held calculator in the early 70s. He looked at me like I was a museum exhibit. I guess I am. Like many posters on here I loved Maine Road. Our collective memories should be cherished and long live threads like this.

City v Newcastle, Boxing Day 1977 was, in my opinion, the stand out game at Maine Road, ever (The return of Colin Bell after injury). Only matched with City v QPR at the Etihad.
Quite a few near misses eg 10-1 v Huddersfield, 5-1 v rags, 5-1 v Spurs (ballet on ice). I could go on and on and on.......
I still have my seat from the (new) Kippax stand in the garden on which I can sit and dream.

Last edited:
Maine Road will always have a place in my heart as the place where I went to my first ever game. However, it was always a bit rickety and there's no doubt that the Etihad is by far the better venue from a facilities point of view.

I first went to Maine Road in the 60s - four stands that didn't look remotely similar - stinking toilets - nice pies but doubts about the hand cleanliness of the people selling 'em. Great atmosphere on match days though. And the first club to get an electronic scoreboard. But, there's no comparison - the Etihad all day long for me.

Fond memories of Maine Road, first game v Blackpool in 1961, Bert's testimonial, Swindon 8015, Ballet on ice, Hot bovril, but really it was a shit heap and don't get me started on the new Kippax stand, what an eyesore.

Maine Road :- Can I mind your car Mister?..... Fuck off there's a Rottweiler in the back,.....Does it put out fires?

No, give me The Etihad every time,

I have fond memories of getting in the Kippax turnstiles a few minutes after kick off in a big game and hearing the crowd roar....goosebumps! Legging it through the far corner tunnel and into the Kippax!! I used to skin up in the bogs with the only cubicle at half time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.