Maine Road or Etihad

Loved Maine Road, the Etihad is wonderful to look at and the success we've had there has been fantastic but modern day all seating stadiums & the matchday 'experience' are just so fcuking bland nowadays.
In saying all that, it's probably more to do with missing our youth for us older fans.

The atmosphere at Maine road in the final years was the best in the country, better than Liverpool, Newcastle or any of them. Every single game you would lose your voice. The chants were not exclusive to one stand either. They would echo around all four, although generally speaking, in the final years, the North stand was the king, but the Kippax had some clout too. We really were a noisy bunch in that stadium, the sound just travelled really well.

I remember the North stand going around each stand singing 'give us a song'. It would start with the main stand. So, 'main stand, give us a song'. Then Platt lane, give us a song. After each stand sung back, the North stand would then sing back to them, 'what the fucking hell was that'. When they got to the Kippax, they would sing Kippax give us a song, and then sing 'your not famous anymore'. Usually this would then finish with the whole stadium singing 'bluemoon' or 'were not really here'. The North stand and Kippax used to have a lot of banter with each other. Hard to believe that two stands could be like that. It was absolutely brilliant.

The atmosphere at Maine road in the final years was the best in the country, better than Liverpool, Newcastle or any of them. Every single game you would lose your voice. The chants were not exclusive to one stand either. They would echo around all four, although generally speaking, in the final years, the North stand was the king, but the Kippax had some clout too. We really were a noisy bunch in that stadium, the sound just travelled really well.

I remember the North stand going around each stand singing 'give us a song'. It would start with the main stand. So, 'main stand, give us a song'. Then Platt lane, give us a song. After each stand sung back, the North stand would then sing back to them, 'what the fucking hell was that'. When they got to the Kippax, they would sing Kippax give us a song, and then sing 'your not famous anymore'. Usually this would then finish with the whole stadium singing 'bluemoon' or 'were not really here'. The North stand and Kippax used to have a lot of banter with each other. Hard to believe that two stands could be like that. It was absolutely brilliant.
Still happens now and then...............Kippax Kippax give us a song

South Stand, South Stand give us a song

you're not famous anymore.

Call us what you want
we are the Kippax
The Kippax will never die.
kippax never dies.JPG

Last edited:
For me personally I loved Maine Rd, purely for nostalgic reasons. But not only is it about generations coming and going it is also as a socio / economic aspect to it. Maine Rd represented the working class, the working man. Graft all week, Saturday lunchtime, pub, chippy then in to see the game, banter with the opposition (Kippax specifically). The area with it's tight, row upon row of terraced housing and alleyways being indicative of the people that went to see City play. The Etihad by contrast is a bright, shiny new thing that caters for the clientele. It also represents progress and the vision of the owners even the smell around the stadium is different but appeals to the younger / new generation of Blues. People create atmospheres and maybe the accoustics were better at Maine Rd but the game against Hamburg in the Europa Cup was a stark reminder of my days back on the Kippax. :)

maine road all day , i really miss it ,some of my happiest memories going to games there as a kid with my family in the mid ninety's .
Just something amazing about the stadium , growing up in burnage also ,was only ten minutes drive from my house.
Was great having my teams stadium being in south Manchester.
Felt more of a connection to that area than Beswick tbh .
The Ethiad is amazing , but just something a bit souless about the new stadiums , much prefer the traditional grounds ;ike maine road, highbury , elland road, goodison , something secial about a stadium in the middle of a council estate also :)
i miss it dearly , i do wish we would have expanded it and modernized maine road rather than move to the etihad ,but probabaly not realistic .

tough one this - but for me Maine road ceased to be what it was the day the Kippax went to seats. It was never the same ground again. God i miss that terrace

So if you ask me Maine Road with standing Kippax was the best

Etihad is second

Maine road with seated Kippax is third

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.