Maine Road or Etihad

Maine Rd....knee deep piss ( platform soles were a must not a fashion statement...), piss wet burgers,'The end is nigh !!', running battles on the limestone hardcore carpark. Police dogs having a free for all, the blue crush barriers, cobbled streets,, silk scarves round your wrists.....
jumping the turnstiles, dodging bottles and coins from the away fans, Helens bell, the surge of the Kippax after a goal, sometimes the football.....

Maine Rd., felt like a real stadium/ground , Etihad is excellent with superb facilites but all a bit sanitised , people who attend games are now customers and the club works out how much per head each fan is likely to spend on merchandise , programmses , drinks , food its a business model used by most clubs.
In the 60's & 70's you could decide on the day if you want to go to the match pay at the turnstile and pick your spot / seat , being an old bastard you tend to look through blue tinted glasses to halycon days stood on the Kippax or sat in the Platt Lane.
Maine Rd simply wouldnt be fit for purpose in the modern era of football and progress has to be accepted , but memories of some great times a Maine Rd. will never be forgotten, we are now making new memories at our superb new stadium and long may it continue.

It's funny how the two are now both associated with the different Manchester City's I've known: Maine Road seems to perfectly represent the old City - inconsisent, passionate, badly run, occasionally brilliant, historic, passionate...all about the vagaries of football. The Etihad has come to represent the new City - in many ways the opposite: well run, slick, professional, victorious, glorious.

It would be weird watching this City team at Maine Road.

If Maine Rd had been redeveloped properly we would have not have needed to move. Ibrox Park was a similar stadium in an inner city location, but sensible redevelopment turned it into a magnificent modern stadium without losing the atmosphere.
No argument the Etihad is a superb stadium, but can't help feeling we lost a little of the club's soul in the move. I had and loved my match day rituals at Maine Rd, but an old man now I would have changed my behaviour anyway. So in an ideal world Maine Rd and my youth back please, in the real world the Etihad is excellent.

If Maine Rd had been redeveloped properly we would have not have needed to move. Ibrox Park was a similar stadium in an inner city location, but sensible redevelopment turned it into a magnificent modern stadium without losing the atmosphere.
No argument the Etihad is a superb stadium, but can't help feeling we lost a little of the club's soul in the move. I had and loved my match day rituals at Maine Rd, but an old man now I would have changed my behaviour anyway. So in an ideal world Maine Rd and my youth back please, in the real world the Etihad is excellent.
I loved Maine Rd as we all love happy places from our youth and I would’ve loved it if we could’ve somehow stayed there but even if we’d expanded it back up to 50k and beyond again the local infrastructure just isn’t up to it these days

i agree. The lack of pubs around the ground is rubbish. I don’t know what people do around there at the weekend.there’s f all there, other then some shops, it’s such a dull area.

we could do with some wealthy city fans buying some land and opening up some proper pubs.
You can’t sustain a pub based on one to three matches a month. The pubs closed because the houses were demolished. When more houses are built in the area maybe there will be pubs reopening? Maybe not?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.