Maine Road or Etihad

Maine Road. It had character and a real buzz outside. Great match-day pubs, the guy selling programmes from the boot of his car behind the North Stand, the guy outside telling us the end is nigh, the food outlets, the betting shops.

The Etihad, whilst modern and impressive, just isn't the same. It has none of the things above that made it much more than simply watching football. I felt part of a community at Maine Road. I find the Etihad cold and distant.

As an outsider I have to say Maine Rd just loved going to the place .......... lads a Sheff Weds fan I love going down to Hillsborogh just a big old fashioned ground

The Etihad is without doubt the better stadium by a long way. Its witnessed the greatest moment in English football as well as the finest football.

But I have a framed picture of Maine Road on my wall. I don't have one of the Etihad. And the pubs at Maine Road were significantly better.

The Etihad for me
All day long. when we left Maine Road the time was right, it wasn’t the same ground that I grew up at it was a patchwork quilt of a stadium, mostly down to Peter Swales. We wouldn’t have been taken over if we had stayed at the old ground and therefore would not have gone to achieve what we have in the subsequent years.

I have fond memories of Maine Road but some awful memories as well. Luton in ‘83 still rankles to this day, as does the 2-4 cup tie against Spurs

Maine Rd was Brill until they redeveloped the Kippax.
Etihad is fantastic when your walking up to it and inside when we 1st moved in it was brilliant from what we left but having season ticket in family stand and seeing the South stand 3rd tier it doesn't look right they should of gone round the corners to blend in with other tiers like at the Emirates.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.