Maine Road tea trolley

I'm sure many of you will remember this celebrated institution, but can you remember what was actually on it? For those who don't, it was a tea trolley that was pushed and pulled around around the pitch perimeter and young lads would dispense a range of scaldingly hot beverages into plastic Maxpax cups and a small range of snacks.
This came up in the line of research but we've come unstuck. While I definitely remember Wagon Wheels from a time when virtually nobody else sold them and chewing gum in the kind of blisterfoil that tablets come in, there were also crisps, but what kind?
I though maybe Smax or fish & chip flavour snacks, someone else thought Seabrook and yet again, someone thought XL, so we've drawn a bit of a blank on this one!
Any ideas?
Weren't Chipmunk crisps sold there? I also remember XL crisps but that may have been a little later.

I used to sit in Platt Lane in early/mid 70s with my Dad and brother and if Dad had a few pence spare that week we'd get a jaffa cake pack (3 in a pack?) and/or a wagon wheel between us. I'm about 90% certain that they did some kind of launch for Wagon Wheels at City - that's how I remembered it - but they're much older than my time in Platt Lane. Maybe it was just some sort of PR rebrand? These were the days before match sponsorship so it wasn't that. It may explain why Wagon Wheels were there but not in many other places.

I think the fish and chip snack/crisp things were sold as you say.

Edit: Thinking about it weren't Wagon Wheels, Fish & Chips and XL crisps all made by Burtons? Presumably Swales & Bernard would get as much stock from same company as possible to make life easy. Maybe McVitie's products were there too alongside Jaffa Cakes but I don't ever recall them selling United biscuits - I think we know the reaction they'd have got.

Last edited:
I remember clear plastic cartons of orange juice, that came with a straw attached. You had to push it through the flat orange coloured top. Often splashing/spilling the liquid on yourself, or in my case an irate dad.
Kia-Ora ?

I'm sure many of you will remember this celebrated institution, but can you remember what was actually on it? For those who don't, it was a tea trolley that was pushed and pulled around around the pitch perimeter and young lads would dispense a range of scaldingly hot beverages into plastic Maxpax cups and a small range of snacks.
This came up in the line of research but we've come unstuck. While I definitely remember Wagon Wheels from a time when virtually nobody else sold them and chewing gum in the kind of blisterfoil that tablets come in, there were also crisps, but what kind?
I though maybe Smax or fish & chip flavour snacks, someone else thought Seabrook and yet again, someone thought XL, so we've drawn a bit of a blank on this one!
Any ideas?
I stuck to just Bovril.

I remember clear plastic cartons of orange juice, that came with a straw attached. You had to push it through the flat orange coloured top. Often splashing/spilling the liquid on yourself, or in my case an irate dad.
I think they were Calypso but looked something like this:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 13.13.11.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-05 at 13.13.11.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 9

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.